I remastered PHIL COLLINS "But Seriously" today for Audio Fidelity. Sounds fantastic.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

:righton: :righton: :righton:

2. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

[​IMG]

3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Please..please[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Of course I'll do my part buying ...But Seriously :)

...then I'll buy the AF "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" :D

4. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

You have to love a forum where the host can pop by after a day in the salt mines and post something like this.

Friend: So, JL, what'd you do at work today?
    Me: Oh, the usual, battled a few robot ninjas, reversed climate change, invented a new Pez flavor. You know, just another routine day at Coolest. Job. Ever.

5. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

What they said... now that would be tremendous news!

6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Full of great tracks. Phil at his reflective best.

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

AWESOME!!!

I'm not a huge PC fan, but always *loved* this album. Plenty of great tracks. I too always thought it was rather bass shy and although I couldn't verbalize it as well as some other members did, I did find that the high-end didn't sound natural.

Also hope to hear more of Clapton's fantastic guitar instead of the screechy mess that is on the original CD. That's always bugged me because his performance is actually amazing!

Can't wait!

8. Now that would be fantastic, espllecially if it will be something from the 1970-77 era.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this title. But Seriously was my introduction to Phil Collins' solo work and still one of my favourites.

9. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I *might* be in the minority, but I find We Can't Dance to be a fine album... except for the title track. And therefore, I'd be glad for a proper remaster.

11. MellowVelo

MellowVelo Forum Resident

I totally agree. Driving the Last Spike is a phenomenal song.

12. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I thought my dreams had come tru when the Genesis SACDs were announced. Then I heard them :sigh:

So yeah it would be awesome if AF could do some Genesis. :)

13. Is that all it takes 1 whole day to remaster a complete album? I always imagined it would take days of burning the midnight oil and countless re-masters until satisfaction is achieved.
    I believe the Clapton album Behind the Sun was sent on to another producer for a couple of tracks after Phil Collins twiddled the knobs in the wrong direction.

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

You give me the sinking feeling that maybe a lot of the early digital recordings that were so easy to pick out as "digital" were just mastered that way for "sound fashion" at the time they were made. Was everything in the 80's being mastered on subwoofers?!?! I really wish you could have done BROTHERS IN ARMS when Warner's initially announced that "sound mattered".

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I think that people get confused as to what constitutes a digital MASTER in the early digital daze.. There is the final assembled master on a U-Matic tape and then there is a U-Matic copy "cutting master" that has nasty (usually) EQ and compression moves on it for ease of record cutting and CD mastering. If that is bypassed, the digital original mixes usually sound wonderful, full of life, dynamic and tuneful.

I think since everyone used Yamaha NS-10M's then, it really caused a lot of engineers and producers to boost the treble and kill the bass just because they could. After years of not being able to do that due to the rules of disk cutting, making the CD version caused them to just forget about what sounded good and go nuts on the screech.

My point being, the good sounding versions sometimes still exist if one can dig deep. In our case we had the cooperation of Phil Collins so that made it possible for us to actually hear what the artist, producer and engineers created in the studio before the TONEZAPPERS got their hands on the sound.

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:righton:

After days of prep work, including finding the master tapes, comparing UK, US, etc. masterings, etc.... the usual Steve details. :)

Another one on my list!

17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Looking forward to this release. Thanks for for all the info Steve!

Pat

18. jukin

jukin Forum Resident

Awesome Steve. I'm not ashamed to say that I am a big Phil Collins fan and so I can't wait to get my hands on this new little beauty.

19. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

And Fading Lights

and No Son of Mine

and.....

It could stand to lose a track or two as it is overly long but otherwise is a pretty solid album.

20. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

'I couldn't play this CD at any volume level without literally getting a headache.'

:D

I'm pure evil! To each his own right?

Sorry to paraphrase but that line just grabbed me. I'd be interested in hearing a comparison with other versions for fun though - but I don't have any desire to own it.

Again, I'd love to hear an A/B or A/B/X. As my brother said the other day - are you buying **** (stuff) just because of how it sounds? I thought for a moment. Yes - sometimes! (But, not Phil Collins!) Man he's a great drummer.

Oh lord, i just came this close to putting on Side 4 of Second Winter...

21. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

It sounds like Phil (and his peeps) bent over backwards for this release (and the previous AF releases). He gets it. You got respect the man. Good stuff Phil (and Steve).

Brings a smile to my fave.

Dennis.

22. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Can't wait to hear this one! Enjoyed the 3 previous Collins AF Gold CDs and this one could top them!

23. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Yay!

Thank you Steve! :cool:

The first three releases sound great. This one I declare SOLD! :D

24. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

There goes my pocket money again... Sigh...
    ;)

25. I like it too. Edit it down to the length of the albums that came before it (45-50 minutes) and it's up there with Duke and Invisible Touch as a very fine latter day Genesis album. "I Can't Dance", "Never A Time", "Hold On My Heart", "Way Of The World" and "Since I Lost You" are the tracks I could live without.

Actually I don't think the album needs a remaster at all, it's one of the rare Genesis CDs that actually sounds good. It has that treble heavy sound that's so typical of the era, but to fix that properly the album would need a full remix.