The Beach Boys original SMiLE released on CD and vinyl LP...(part 13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

That sounds like the US box I had. The US LP's have hand-etched matrices with Chris Bellman's initials.

Here's a scan I found of the EU label copy. Note the "Bel-Biem. Made in the EU" left of the spindle hole.

Attached Files:

2. Got it, the left hand side of the label is blank on mine. The matrix is as you described.

As you know I don't have vinyl playback set up right now. Just inspected the 7" and 12". The 7" is very poorly cut at the inner and outer edges, the 12" looks fine but has two fingerprints and some minor micro scratches on it. :shrug:

3. audiomac

audiomac Forum Resident

Ah, yes I heard that. If you listen closely, that melody is very nearly matched by the descending bass line played at 2:45 on the same track. :shh:

4. audiomac

audiomac Forum Resident

Man, I need to get rid of some of my fan mixes. Some of it is repeated in much better quality by this release now.

5. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

I'm not convinced by this new worms melody thing. He could just be messing about with the lyrics, or maybe he's singing a counter melody part. I actually thnk the way it's sung on bwps is very cool and it sounds vintage to me, unlike, say, the new child melody.

6. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

Not if you start halfway through the verse backing track! It works out fine.

7. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Zero quality control. Thanks for checking. :)

8. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

The new sprightly melody fits perfectly and has "vintage" written all over it. No comparison for me.

Measure 1: (1, 2, 3), Once upon the

Measure 2: Sandwich Isles dah dah dah dah dah. (3, 4).

Syncopates perfectly and fits the chords.

9. audiomac

audiomac Forum Resident

It doesn't fit. Where and how does it fit?

10. dvakman

See above.

11. oklahoma001

oklahoma001 Forum Resident

aside from the debates regarding melodies and vocals etc. how are people protecting their boxset? 13" white box is bound to get some fingerprints on it at some point, anyone fashion any kind of sleeves?

12. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

Wait for 4 bars to go. Then sing it over the last 4 bars, starting with the "and-four" of the bar preceding. The word "once" lands on the 1st beat of the 5th measure.

"A-once upon the sandwich isle the social structure...etc"

It fits with the way they're syncopating the drums. And it lasts for just about four bars, depending on what you make up for the last bit of the lyric.

"A-waving from the ocean liners, beaded cheering etc"

It works just as well with the other verse.

13. dvakman

Hmmm, maybe I'm hearing it a little differently, but you're more musical than I am. I'll try to put something together tonight to better explain what I hear.

14. audiomac

audiomac Forum Resident

Wait! You mean you're actually touching it?!

Get some white gloves :winkgrin:

15. oklahoma001

oklahoma001 Forum Resident

i was sure thatd be the 3rd of 4th suggestion, not the first.:laugh: i actually cut the shrinkwrap very precisely and have slipped it back on each time, though thats starting to deter me from looking inside, knowing all the work it takes.:D

16. Ken.W

Ken.W High Potentate of Lurve

.. me too .. me too. Blubbing like a girl. What got me was the applause from everyone in the shop, and Brian turning to Melinda ....

"I did it! I did it! .."

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The quality control person must have been alert when they put my set together, because there aren't any problems with the 45s or LPs in my set. As a matter of fact, I think that the LPs sound rather nice, especially the stereo tracks on side four.

18. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Was there ever an attempt to record the Old Master Painter lyrics?

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

20. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Maybe 'cause it's a Friends outtake ? :shh:

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

So I'm In Great Shape, Barnyard, Mama Says, Worms, Bicycle Rider, the fade to Vega Tables, the insert to Wonderful, the 'first movement' of Mrs O'Leary's Cow and now I Love To Say Da Da are all H&V??

Have I missed anything??

22. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

I'm going to give mine all the fingerprints, cat hairs and coffee stains it wants.
    I'm a user rather than a collector.
    Hopefully it doesn't want anything, though. :winkgrin:

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

When mine wears out, I'll buy a new one.

24. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

I'm as big a SMiLE fan as anyone, but I've never felt the need to, er, taxonomize the thing to death. It's like an opera with recurring motifs. Isn't that good enough? :righton:

25. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Capitol hit it out of the park with respects to other parts of my Smile boxset, but they still can't center a friggin' label on a record after all these years. Is it really that difficult? :cussing:

Here's side two of mine

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.