Reprise Frank Sinatra and 35mm Magnetic Film restoration question for Steve H..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ArneW, Apr 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, where'd this thread come from?

It might be a nice place to mention that Chace Productions in Burbank can actually play old, vinegar-syndrome mags -- to a point -- using their special cleaning machines and playback transports:

http://chace.com/services/id/2,27

I'm not sure how they handle shrunken sprocket holes and all that stuff, but I think except in the worst case, they can do it.

[​IMG]

I once dealt with a 1950s mag track that I put up on a conventional Magna-Tech dubber, and the oxide started peeling off in sheets. I stopped the track immediately, sent it back to Fox, and they sent it to Chace. Three days later, I had a pristine digital copy. As far as I'm concerned, they do magic over there, far beyond my primitive ape-like brain.

I agree with Steve earlier: MAN, those disintegrating mags smell bad...

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ah, I see. 35mm recording had the potential to sound wonderful and if used correctly, had a giant signal to noise ratio. The problem in storage doomed it though it was not obvious at the time. It was big, hard to edit, needed a giant clanging recorder and was very noisy in the studio. Also, the labels like Command only cut from the 35mm mag for the first cut, everything else being cut from two track reduction dubs with limiting. Pointless.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FWIW, this is what Sessions With Sinatra has to say on the subject:

"Lee Herschberg, Bill Putnam's second engineer at United Recording, who would supervise Sinatra's recording activities in the late 1960s, describes the mix-down process. "I believe they had one eight-track, 35mm recorder running, and a whole bunch of separate 35mm tracks that could be synched together later, for a total of twenty-one tracks. Now, they were actually locking those twenty-one tracks together after the sessions at Goldwyn, and mixing down to three-track tape. I was back at United, mixing the three-track tapes down to a final, two-track master.""

The text then goes on to note that the 35mm tracks are presumed lost.

4. Steve Hoffman

I'm talking about what I saw. Of course they had any amount of three channel dubbers as did all studios.. You sync them up for any amount of tracks you needed. Not relevant.

YOU BROUGHT A NEW KIND OF LOVE TO ME used three for the music and one for Frank. No more, no less. This was reduced to three and "delivered". At another session the mag was dumped to three track 1/2 inch tape and then to mono or stereo.

. Anything more used in recording an orchestra would have been hiss city and not needed.

The most channels I've ever seen in mag 35mm from that era for a live song recording was of THE MUSIC MAN at WB. On a song like WELLS FARGO WAGON you had 13 channels of hissy mag in 1961: The orchestra L/C/R, percussive L/C/R, the Barbershop Quartet L/C/R and the choir L/C/R plus the main character vocals in mono. Even in this complex recording on five dubbers the main orchestra was only three channels. In the "rerecording" mix for the movie of course these were all laid down on top of each other for the final three channel mix with the back channel a composite of the orchestra or whatever they wanted back there, mainly choir. For the WB soundtrack LP these were all rerecorded to four channels of 1/2" tape and a stereo and mono mix made at Radio Recorders for the LPs. Anything more would have been just not done in those days for anything other than six-channel Todd-AO style recording (80 Days had six orchestra channels for the six speakers behind the screen..).

For that use 35mm recording was practical and a way to get elements to stay in sync and all have a left, center and right channel for later movie or LP use. In THIS format, 35 was not a gimmick. To record a phonograph record this way on its own to me was a gimmick and a really pointless one.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Just relaying what's in the book regarding Concert Sinatra...

6. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

fascinating. thanks folks!

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's amazing how out of control this has gotten. I can recall seeing a documentary on Close Encounters in 1977 showing Spielberg walking down a hall at Todd-AO with 90 mag machines all running at the same time for the last reel of the movie. I think the only reason why that worked is that they had some kind of automation to mute unused channels. Hundreds of tracks, even with Dolby A, are going to sound like Rice Krispies on fire.

Nowadays, it's not unusual for film mixes to use five or six ganged Pro Tools workstations, each with hundreds of tracks. It's absolutely mind-boggling, what goes on. 200+ tracks just for the sound effects side. It makes my brain hurt.

Somehow, I think the 1960 mag tracks hold up better 50 years later than the 2011 Pro Tools tracks will in 2060...

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And that one sentence at the end says a lot about the state of modern recording. I think that if there had been a way to easily keep 2 3 track Ampex 300 machines in sync, The Concert Sinatra would have likely sounded even better, excellent as fine original pressings are. The hiss is a bit much. The Goldwyn Sound Stage acoustics are superb here. 35 MM Recording was fine but old 1/2" tape really was a superior medium.

9. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

10. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member Thread Starter

Funny you should revive an almost ten year old thread of mine. When I posted my question, I wasn't even married. Now I have three children, a big but cheap 1992 station wagon and a mortgage... not much room or time left for the 35mm things in life. However, I am still tuning into the SH forum once in a while!

Cheers,

Arne

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

....and 190 of those tracks must be used for variations on the "generic low frequency rumble" sounds that permeate every trailer!

(And a note to ArneW: It's always nice to see you in these here parts!)

Matt

12. MLutthans

According to Larry Walsh in a post at the Sinatra Family Forum, based on his experience remixing a track for NOTHING BUT THE BEST, THE CONCERT SINATRA was recorded on three 3-track 35mm machines running in sync: one 3-track 35mm machine was used for the strings, and another 3-track 35mm machine for the rest of the orchestra. A third 3-track 35mm machine contained a guide track (probably a rough mix of the six orchestral channels) and the FS vocal track. (Apparently the third track on that machine went unused.) This results in a total of 7 discrete tracks.

Matt

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Matt, we know the 35mm reels for "Concert Sinatra" have survived because Nancy Sinatra has said so, but having read about all the disadvantages of 35mm tape, what kind of results could be achieved by going back to these tapes instead of the 3 track mixdown?

14. MLutthans

Night and day.

Matt

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

So there were problems in the dub to 1/2" 3-track too, not just the final stereo mix?

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I get the impression the "problems" (re sonic degradation) came more in the transfer from the 35mm to the 3 track made back then, than any 3 to 2 tape reduction would cause (beyond mix choices). I'd love to hear the whole album in mixes made from new transfers of 35mm...

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agreed, a new 35 MM mix would be nice to hear. I love my early pressing LP, a friend of mine owns a later LP which is non gatefold and sounds less fine (I think this one was cut from a higher generation source)

18. Steve Hoffman

As far as I know, all Reprise LPs of this title down through the years (CONCERT) were cut from the SAME source tape..

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Somewhat off-topic, but FWIW: An unconfirmed and unofficial post at the Sinatra Family Forum claims THE CONCERT SINATRA will be the next Concord Records CD remix/reissue, due for release January 17, 2012.

[Added:] That info apparently stems from a report at MusicTAP.

20. Steve Hoffman

But please note that this will not be a remix from the 35mm film. As I've mentioned time and time again, the 35mm mag has shrunk unevenly and each core runs off speed from others.. All the 35mm mag has been archived but cannot be used this go-round.

I hate mag. The stuff is so unstable. Thank God there is a pristine three track 1/2" tape at Reprise or else all of the elements would be lost for any usable remix.

I'm looking forward to see what Larry Walsh will come up with on THE CONCERT SINATRA. Those three tracks are dry as a bone. Painfully dry. Sinatra sounds a million miles away from the orchestra. I am sure Larry will use some nice authentic reverb to bring Frank and the orchestra together so they can be "as one" (as they say in India). :)

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Those can't be speed corrected digitally?

22. Steve Hoffman

Apparently not at this time.

The three-track multi-channel tape sounds fine. In many ways even better than the ratty old stinky mag.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

So Martin's impression is off-base?

24. Steve Hoffman

It all depends on where he got his "impression" from. The three-tracks sound fine, I played the entire unmixed multi-channel album master back in 1999 but as I've mentioned, played back raw, it has the typical dry Goldwyn "house sound". Everything is very far away from everything else. The last thing we want in a Sinatra recording. It was a gimmick IMO and a bad one. I guess it sold records but trust me, a little wet remix TLC and it will sound wonderful.. Can't wait to see what ol' Larry comes up with!

25. MLutthans

I haven't been camping out in Sinatraville as much as usual of late, so my details are a little sketchy, but I seem to recall some details of the mess-ups in the transfer process being outlined either here or at the Sinatra forum. Maybe somebody can point us in that direction anew...

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.