The best SHM-SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Sony issued hybrids in 2008 in Japan, and I thought they were made in Japan.

2. KeithH

Thanks, Claus. I see you have Getz/Gilberto and Innervisions in the "Good" list. Do you have preferred versions of those two? I'm trying to remember if you expressed a preference for the K2HD of Getz/Gilberto.

While I'm at it, do you have preferred versions of Way Out West and We Get Requests?

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Universal Japan officially says that they choose single layer because it has the better reflection coefficient.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Well, duh!

In a hybrid disc, the hi-rez layer is semi-transmissive. The reflection from this layer is surprisingly low - under 30% if I recall correctly. It's amazing the bloody thing works at all.

I'm a big (ok, huge) fan of non-hybrids. I never wanted hybrids, wasn't interested in what they did to the cost of hi-rez, and have never played the Redbook layer of any hybrid - and I must have 600 or so.

5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I feel the same way. If I'm home, why would I even play the CD layer (since I have multiple SACD players). I don't take my SACDs in the car, so no need for CD layer there. And all my friends that I would share music with have SACD players.

The ONLY benefit I had for a few hybrid discs, is that I could burn the CD layer, if it were a title I didn't have on CD, to CD-R for portability.

6. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Why would anyone want to avoid the Allman Bros. disk? Sounds fine to me and I like having the whole thing on a single SACD.

If for some reason I want to hear it in quad, I've got the dts CD also.

I like single layer better also. Back when I used to have a Denon 2900 I sometimes played the redbook layer because the Denon was so lousy sounding as a SACD player, but with my current machine I've never ever pressed the button to check a CD layer.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Well there is the original SACD released years back (but I don't remember if that was spread out over 2 discs - and I would have to move a bunch of discs that are stored in front of it to get to it - which I don't feel like doing right now), which includes a newer 5.1 surround mix than the dts CD.

I also think the Allman Bros. SHM-SACD sounds fine to me, and if I were asked I would never say it should be avoided. To each his own I guess.

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The original SACD is two short playing disks.

The dts CD has the whole thing on a single disk, for surround playback.

9. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I personally dont understand the high praise that the Who's Next SHM-SACD gets. It was the first one I bought based on reviews on here. While it is nice to listen to, I wouldnt say it stands out to my ears and on my system. The packaging is top notch but I dont feel like I gain a lot in terms of sound quality from my original MCA CD. Perhaps I just need to spend more time listening to it. I own three SHM-SACDS other than the Who album (Kiss-Destroyer and Steely Dan-Aja) and I think both of those beat out my Who's Next. There's no accounting for tastes I guess. Are there any others on here are pleased but not overwhelmed with this SHM-SACD?

10. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

I posted this on the hardware forum a few weeks ago. It'll give you a good idea what I do with the obi/original sleeves.

Best,

Robert

11. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

You're using a Denon 2900 to play these? I had one of those machines and actually got better performance playing the CD layer of hybrid disks... of course with the SHM-SACDs you don't have that option.

The 2900 is just not a good SACD player.

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Must be my system deficiencies because I thought the 2900 was OK for SACD and DVD Audio when I owned one.

13. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

It's good for dvd-audio. For SACD it's grainy and 1-dimensional.

14. KeithH

Same here. It's certainly not the best SACD player I've owned, but I enjoyed it. (I actually still have it with the idea of setting up a basement system one day.)

15. pmckeeaalaska

Well, I absolutely believe the above posts about SACD's and the 2900 because my DVD-A's sound amazing on the 2900 while my SACD's sound good but lack the wow factor that the DVD-A's have. I have been giving serious thought to getting the new Oppo BDP-95 to replace it. How does the Oppo do with SACD's? With DVD-A's?

I should say, however, that the Elton John SACD's I own sound fantastic on the 2900, its just the SHM-SACD's that seem lacking. Perhaps I just expected more from a $60 disc! :)

16. The cheaper Denons play DVD-Audios much better than SACDs for sheer musicality and tonality. That difference disappears on the more expensive models. I always got the feeling the players were designed with DVD-Audio in mind, and SACD got thrown in to qualify them as universal players.

17. pmckeeaalaska

So would the new Oppo be an upgrade if I was looking to maximize both DVD-Audio AND
    SACD playback? $1000 is about as much as I'd want to spend (which is what my 2900 cost me back in 2004!).

18. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Roger that. I think I might do the same. Just store them away in a photograph album. Thanks. :righton:

19. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

The Oppo 95 does very well with both SACD and DVD-A (over analogue). I would think you would be very happy. I had a Lexicon RT-10 prior which was an "upgraded" Marantz (capacitor changes etc before Lexicon started cheating and just re-badging players). I loved that player until I tried the 95 which is an obvious improvement. So I say, go for it!

20. KeithH

The weak link with the '2900 I found was with CDs. I replaced a '2900 with a '3910 in the second system and noticed improvements in all areas. The '3910 gave way to the '5910CI in my better system, and the difference was significant, again, in all respects. All in all, the '2900 was a solid player for the money, but you get what you pay for with Denon as with most any other brand.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I actually kind of agree that Who's Next doesn't bowl you over, primarily because prior CD's are pretty good already. But, it's pretty good, and the fact that it's a flat transfer of the UK master tape makes it a fascinating listen.

"Won't Get Fooled Again" is the highlight.

22. chaz

chaz Senior Member

The only reason I ever play the cd layer as well: to rip to my home wireless system and or burn cdr's for the car.

23. Robert Lan

I know I've mentioned this before, but I'll have to post pictures.

Best,

Robert

24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

This release seems to have been postponed.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UCGD-9023

25. Robert Lan

Yes, it has been postponed.

I had it on pre-order—still have, as a matter of fact—but it seems I'll have to give up on it for the time being.

Best,

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.