The best SHM-SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Excellent. Roger all this. I'm looking forward to getting mine but it's going to be a while. Thanks again for your fine reviews. I certainly enjoy them.

2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I also have this Fairport Convention SHM-SACD. Never owned anything with FC before this disc. I think I will rate it as 4 out of 6 for the music. Think I like track number 4 best.

For the sound, I hear that this is a good A/D transfer from this medium 70's recording, even that I have nothing to compare with. But now I think it's time for me to hide...:hide:

3. Abacab

Abacab Forum Resident

I missed what made it so bad. I listen to my original SACD. I have the box set but am not a huge fan.

4. The 2-CD deluxe edition of Liege & Lief also sounds pretty smooth. People seem to be talking in generalities about the SACD without reference to prior versions, so I assume people have not been hording multiple editions of the Fairport Convention's classic like some of the other well-known albums to hit SHM-SACD.

5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I like the old Island Master.

I'd be most grateful if someone could post samples from some of these SHM-SACDS, especially GBYBR and Liege and Lief. You can do this by ripping the analogue output; I did one for Who's Next.

Tim

6. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Based on what has been said about the Fairport SHM-SACD by everyone here who has posted, I am going to order it later today.

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to post their impressions on this release.

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

I compared the SHM-SACD against the Deuxe Edition and the tracks on the "Meet on the Ledge" compilation. The SHM-SACD is a winner... better as any other digital pressing I've heard.

8. Newport

Newport New Member

:agree: :righton: :agree:

Yes, that Police Outlandos SACD & SHM-SACD stinks real badly!

My good friends as was said, if you value money then do not buy it.

9. Claus

Beside Police... I add Allman Bros, Moody Blues, Velvet Underground, Steely Dan on my non-recommended list.

10. Abacab

Abacab Forum Resident

What makes it so bad?

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That was the sound of your ears sizzling....sounds strangly harsh:D:cheers:

12. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Just discovered this blog post, thought this was the best place to post it:

13. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Many words, little meaning!

Tim

14. Claus

:righton: only bla bla bla

15. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

True that. And he likes Outlandos ("Excellent remaster").

Will stay on the sidelines for this...

16. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

17. As of today, I only own "Who's Next". It is certainly a great mastering.

I have heard very good things about Cream's "Wheels of Fire", but I am not a super huge fan of the album and I already have the DCC, so I am holding back on buying this one on SHM-SACD although I am certain it is very good also.

Of the available titles, I am mostly interested in:

Wishbone Ash - Argus
    Rod Stewart - Gasoline Alley
    Traffic - John Barleycorn

I decided to order the Wishbone Ash title and hope it is worth the money. I already have three different versions (original non-remastered, Japanese Mini-LP, new Deluxe Edition). I have the feeling that between these three versions, it should be possible to create a superior version. The two newer versions (Japanese mini-LP and Deluxe Edition) seem to be from better tapes but are dynamically compressed a little bit. I wish I could get a nice mastering with full dynamics in tact and I am hoping that the SHM-SACD offers just that.

Comments on the Rod Stewart SACD have been mixed, and I am not willing yet to take the plunge on that one.

The Traffic SACD could also be quite good, but I decided to wait on that one.

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Agreed. Just a lot of fluff.

19. Today, I received my Wishbone Ash SHM-SACD of "Argus". I had to put it on right away and had to do a brief comparison to my other versions, which are:

Argus (non-remastered version)
    GER
    MCA
    48'33"
    MCAD 10234

Argus (Paper Sleeve Collection)
    JPN
    MCA
    48'35"
    UICY-9080

Argus (35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) (2-CD)
    GER
    Island
    144'12"
    984 9624

Of these version, the first original mastering was probably my favorite version, since it had the dynamics fully intact. But the Deluxe Edition also sounded decent and as if it was taken from better tapes, but it has some dynamic compression applied (not all that much, but still noticeable and somewhat bothersome).

The SHM-SACD is only very slightly louder than the old CD version and clearly less loud than the remastered version.

The SHM-SACD sounds very smooth and clean, not harsh at all. A very nice mastering and in my opinion clearly the best of the versions I have.

By the way, there is also another edition, it is the 30th Anniversary Edition (single disc remaster with two bonus tracks), and that one is clearly the worst sounding and loudest of all of them.

I have to do some more listening, but I would say that this SHM-SACD is one of the winners in the series also.

20. Is Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die" really less than 30 minutes in total?

21. Newport

Newport New Member

Thank you. Very insightful as it contains information so very much more useful then "I hear deep into the music"! Knowing how it stacks up against the other issues may cause me to purchase one.

22. Claus, I now own the Who and the Wishbone Ash SHM-SACD's, and I do like both of them.

I am also interested in these 3 quite a bit:

Free - Fire and Water
    Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
    Rod Stewart - Gasoline Alley

You have mentioned that you like these quite a bit. What was your reference point as far as other digital versions are concerned?

For Free's "Fire and Water", I have the early European CD mastering on Island, and I think it sounds very good and clearly better than the US A&M non-remastered CD, and also much much better that the remastered CD (which I don't like very much). I really like this album very much, but would only be willing to spring for it if it is really really better than the above mentioned Island UK CD release.

For "Gasoline Alley", you somewhere mentioned the Dennis Drake mastered CD. But which one? He mastered this CD twice. One mastering can be found on the WG Mercury CD (with the atomic design) and the other one can be found on the early US Mercury CD (silver CD with black lettering, also the back artwork is more in line with the album art whereas the back art for the WG Mercury has a pink background). I think the US Mercury CD sounds better than the WG Mercury overall (it is debatable for one or two tracks, but in general I find it quite a bit better). Have you heard that US Mercury CD mastering for this album?

For "John Barleycorn Must Die", did you compare to any other digital version? I think I once owned the Island UK CD which is quite good (actually I thought I have it, but I can't find it anywhere...). Others have mentioned the US CD which could very well have a different mastering. I also like this album, but it is really short (under 30 minutes?), so it is a lot of money for half an hour of music. Only worth it in my opinion if the sound quality is really much much better than on any other digital version.

I would love to have some more of your input on these albums (of course, I would also appreciate comments from other folks with "critical" ears). You seem to have a quite balanced opinion about these, which is helpful.

23. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I not only hear deep into the music with these SACD's, but as I said many times before; I hear deep into the (master)tapes.

But, you know...it's not for everyone to understand what I say. But there are those who certainly do. They sometimes send me a private message and thanks me. They do it that way, because they don't want that "mess" with all the attacks here at SHF. And I understand them.

24. I also have Who's Next. In my opinion, it doesn't sound all that great. I think that it sounds flat (lack of dynamics). Plus, what's with the drums? They sound like cardboard boxes. On the plus side, there seem to be instruments audible on the SACD that aren't audible on the CD.

Just my opinion.

25. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.