"All Things Must Pass" to be re-released on 3LP vinyl and 96Khz/24 bit digital part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Mine too ('Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp').

2. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

Giving the 24/96 download a good listen now. Until now I've only ever owned the 2001 remaster, and I've never personally heard ATMP on vinyl; only a hi-rez needledrop. So I'm coming from a different place than most posters since I'm primarily familiar with the 2001.

At first, the 2010 sounded DARK...very unfamiliar to me for this album since I've just been so used to the 2001. I can see why everyone who owned this album prior to the remaster loathed the sound of it. I initially had a preference for the 2001 EQ, but the more natural tone of the 2010 is growing on me. It actually sounds like an album from 1970, as it should.

What strikes me the most about the 2010 master is that it's not limited - whereas the 2001 is SLAMMED. The drums in the 2010 breathe so much better; vocals don't distort; and even the Wall of Sound seems less intrusive. It's warm and analog-y - pretty cool. :cool:

IronWaffle likes this.
  3. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Thanks to everyone for the help on the downsampling. It really sounds good.

I wonder if there will be some kind of box or "cloud" in 10 years for the 50th anniversary with demos, outtakes remixes & the like. It would not surprise me.

lukpac likes this.
  4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

To bump my previous question, did some folks get mp3's with their download? Mine was just the 24/96 files.

5. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

I got mp3s with the download

6. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I listened to the first 4 tracks and already can tell this sounds great.

And the great thing about it is that its not loud at all.
    ANyone know who mastered it?

7. Funny--mine is named properly. :shrug:

8. I didn't get mp3's either! Not that I would want them . . .

9. Raf

Raf Senior Member

*Twilight Zone theme*

Oh, well. Easy enough to rename. And the files all play OK.

10. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

+1

11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Stefan, I didn't get mp3's either. I saw that people were getting different download sizes which made me wonder. My download unzipped into a folder named Lossless (the same as BOTR, also from ToppSpin).

I, too, wouldn't have wanted mp3 files with my Hi-Res download.

12. You don't need to use iTunes (or any other Apple product) to play these files. Windows Media Player should work fine, although like Mac OS X, Windows has its own quirks for setting up 24/96 playback.

Ayre Acoustics has some good 24/96 setup guides:

Windows XP: http://www.ayre.com/usb-xp_setup.htm

Windows Vista/7: http://www.ayre.com/usb-vista_setup.htm

Mac OS X: http://www.ayre.com/usb-apple.htm

13. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

So far very happy with the 24/96 download...

14. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Me too. I downloaded twice, got the mp3's twice & deleted them twice. ;)

15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Downloaded the Hi-Rez and received both MP3 and 96/24. Burned a HI-Rez DVD-A using DVD Audio Solo and it came out great. Thought that $30 was a bit steep for just a download considering there was no physical product involved. I have not listened to it all the way through yet, just bits and pieces. I also thought it sounded ver analog and I thought the drums on some of the songs like "Run Of The Mill" sounded great. I never heard them on that song like this before. I was feeling the stick hit the snare. Very Good!

16. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

None in mine....

17. ceebee

ceebee Active Member

I have as much love for ATMP as anyone - iconic recording, terrific songs. The new remaster is nice - I am listening to the downloads at the moment, vinyl when it gets here. To me though, it isn't worlds away, not enough, from several other editions I own. The reduced compression and airiness is a positive. Among huge negatives are George's 'S's' which still have sibilance evident in places, especially MSL ("really wanna (ssss)ee you...".) Was ATMP recorded so badly? Would a complete remix make this material shine like it should?

18. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I was convinced this album needed a remix to truely shine but this remaster has made me think again.

19. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Is there anyone in the UK who may be able to burn a DVD of the High Res files for me? I have bought the download, but don't have a DVD burner to be able to burn the files to disc. I'll pay the postage!!

20. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Lovely. Thanks.

21. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Yes.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

To save archival space, I even converted the hi-rez files into FLAC. They are still hi-rez that way.

23. I may convert them to ALAC. Haven't decided yet. An upshot of this is that I can add the album art and tagging.

24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

This is also a good approach for those with streaming devices like Squeezeboxes, etc.

25. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

:agree: After listening to the 2001 remaster for so long, especially, it's like "woah, there ARE drums on this album!!"

Also, since it's been asked, yes I got mp3's with my download. They were located in the top folder, a subfolder called "Lossless" contained the Hi-Res files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.