"All Things Must Pass" to be re-released on 3LP vinyl and 96Khz/24 bit digital part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

So I downloaded it and I will report later with my impressions of the sounds.
    My experience is as followed:
    Downloaded last night and this morning it says waiting to finish.....but looks like everything has been downloaded.
    When unzipping it, They give you a wav file 24/94khz and mp3 files of the album but no album art.
    How stupid can they be? If I wanted mp3, I could make them on my own. Plus, just make the files flac and be done with it.....audiophiles are happy with flac.
    And, for 30, there should be album art. End of rant.

P.s. My squeezebox wont play the 24 bit/94khz wav files but it will play them in flac.
    Any reason for this?

2. DanFromIndy

DanFromIndy Forum Resident

Foobar2000 will do it as a batch, if that is what you are asking. I am assuming you are on Windows. I've not done exactly what you are asking, but I think I know how to. If you try it and can't get it, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help.

3. DanFromIndy

DanFromIndy Forum Resident

Sorry, now I'm double-posting. The simplest way may be to drag the files into iTunes, and then burn them to a CD, the rip the CD back to .wav files (or .flac if the PlayStation supports that). That way iTunes does the down sampling for you. In the end, doing it track-by-track using Audacity may end up being the easiest for you.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Saw the vinyl at Newbury Comics yesterday. Beautiful package, but the price--$60!!

Even if I was still collecting vinyl this would be too rich for my blood. Why is new vinyl so damned expensive?

Evan

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That's weird. I've seen a couple of people now mention MP3s but my download contained just the 24/96 files. No big deal. I prefer to do my own MP3 encoding anyway, but it's strange that there seem to be different versions for the same price!

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

One thing I'm noticing about both the downloads and the LPs is the bigger bass compared to previous versions I've heard. It really adds to the tonality.

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The download comes with a song called "Balld of Sir Frankie Crisp". I don't think I know this one....

;)

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Remember that is only one man's opinion, and the second remaster was NR'ed.

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The reason I ask it that I want some library function especially for artwork and comments section. I use a Mac Mini integrated into my audio rack and connected to my HDTV so I can, if I want, see album art and the comments along with the other basic information.

10. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I have not read all the threads on this, but if you buy the LP release, does it come with a download code for the Hi-Rez files? or is it a separate purchase?

11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Separate purchase

12. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

AyreWave might not be for you then. It's an audio player, not a media library type app. It's very bare bones.

Still, the download is very small. It wouldn't take much effort to try it out and see if you like it.

Needs Snow Leopard though.

13. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Mine has is spelled correctly. Weird. :bigeek:

14. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I've never owned a Mac, nor an Ipod/Ipad/Iphone (actually the only thing I use from Apple is -IMO - bloated Quicktime software), but Apple does seem to excel with their audio/video products. The Ipod is filled with high quality hardware, and ITunes uses quality software (which is why it's so strange to me that ITunes still isn't yet selling lossless downloads, let alone hi-res). Itunes even does automatic de-emphasizing for old/pre-emph cds at a time when many audio players don't have such circuitry anymore. I wonder how they handle HDCD? I've never looked into that aspect of it.

Anyway, my point is that I would suspect its downsampling and dithering capabilities to be, at least, average or above average. In other words, I'm sure how you've done it is perfectly good.

Apple seems to be the exception to the rule of consumer friendly hardware = cheaper/inferior product (even their proprietary AAC encoding for the mp3's they sell is better than anyone else has been able to come up with)...

15. Mike D'Aversa

From what I've read, the PS3 (not sure which generation) can play native 24/96 pcm/wav audio, but not lossless compression files like flac/wma/alac.

So, it would appear you can't really save additional hard drive space by converting them to anything (if you're interested in only playing them at hi-res quality).

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about this (I've never even owned a PS3)...

16. Mike D'Aversa

How do you mean track by track? Audacity can import/export as many files as you want, and downsample/dither them accordingly...

17. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

In the previous ATMP 2010 thread there had been some question raised regarding if the LPs came from a digital master. Both the website and the sticker on the LP state "Mastered from the original analogue tapes at Abbey Road Studios".

Having just been doing some needledropping with this new vinyl I can see for sure that they didn't simply use the 24/96 digital audio for the LP. In comparing LP audio captured at 192k to the downloaded 96k audio I can see, while in spectral mode, the 96k download audio tops out at around 30k. The LP audio reaches up to 60k fairly easily. How much that difference actually translates into something audible is for those with especially good critical listening skills to debate. It's probably beyond me.

One other observation about the vinyl, I would rate the quietness of the vinyl copy I have at about a "7" on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being "dead quiet". This is after an initial 3-step cleaning on my VPI machine.

-DLedin

18. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

No offence but can we talk about the music or start a new thread about burning Cdr's in the Hardware section, this forum has given that company enough advertising the past couple of weeks and for someone like me who loves George Harrison's music but hates that USA fruit named company and its devices, especially as this download has nothing to do with said company I'd rather talk about the music and lossless sound quality !!

19. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Well no offence to you but I enjoy the topics you dislike...:rolleyes:

20. Leo K

Leo K Forum Resident

Yet it's helpful to know how these files are being played, and by what hardware or software, especially when discussing sound quality.

21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Sorry to quote myself, but can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks.

22. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I agree, the bass on Art of Dying especially is astounding.

All in all for me it's the more acoustic based tracks that benefit the most from the hi rez download. If Not for You, Behind That Locked Door, Apple Scruffs and Let it Roll sound exquisite.
    Fantastic to reach for the remote control and actually turn music up rather than down these days.

23. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

Try R8brain version 1.9 : it seems to work !

Thanks for the tips all you guys, but I don't seem to make it work...
    I can't understand why the PS3 can't read those files whereas it can with normal 44 100 Hz /16 bits wavs. Strange... and now ATMP looks a bit expensive as it is my sole file sender...

I should have waited for the vinyl...

24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Newbury was giving 10% off all purchases yesterday, so mine cost $50. Not bad for three 180-gram vinyl records.

25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.