Beatles Red & Blue Albums Remastered Oct. 19 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No need if you already own the stereo remasters.

2. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Aren't these the Capitol "futzed with" versions? :confused:

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nope.

4. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Hmm.

No need for these then if you already own the box sets correct?

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Unless there's something folks haven't discovered yet, the only differences from the box sets are some minor level differences and a clean intro to A Day In The Life. And, if you want to mention it, a fade (to silence) on Back In The U.S.S.R.

6. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Thanks for the info. I'm somewhat of a completest but that's a bit too far even for me.

7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

You actually bring up a very good point that I have been wrestling with.
    I HAVE been a completist when it comes to Beatles releases, but I am trying really hard to NOT buy these two reissues.

I have the original Red and Blue US vinyl releases, a Japanese Blue Vinyl release and the original CD's. I never listen to any of them.

I pulled out the Blue CD's tonight and played them for the first time in years. The song order is nothing special and the new CD's are the same mastering as the 2009's. Realistically then, there is no reason for me to buy these.

But, I'm STILL wavering about picking these up. Why ? So they can sit on a shelf ?

Seriously, I need to avoid Best Buy, Borders and Target for the next few days. The completist in me is angst ridden. The realist in me is hoping to win this one.

8. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

You Can't Always Want What You Get!

Kristofa likes this.
  9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I went right by the new red and blue cds twice today.I didn`t feel the need for these I guess.

10. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

Made a special trip out for these.

They're a bit sentimental for me, especially the Blue album...wore out multiple copies as a teen. Considering that the price will be up in the $25 range in a matter of days, $13.99 is a bargain and the refreshed liner notes/booklets are nice. (Nevermind that "A Day In The Life" is my favorite Beatles recording so I consider the remastered 'clean' intro version a necessity.)

They sound and look fantastic, they're the only compilation project all four Beatles were involved with and I'm happy to have them. :righton:

Billy Infinity likes this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Sorry if this annoys anyone but, based on my reading of this thread, the remastered "blue" album intro of "A Hard Day's Night" has the same issue as on the 2009 A Hard Day's Night stereo remaster. Correct?

That's alright, I'm not a glorified blogger. :D

12. olsen

olsen Senior Member

LP cutting masters often cut back on the bass. I would assume the original Red & Blues came from cutting masters.

13. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I had this exact conversation with myself a few months ago. I was at Target at 11 this morning.

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

:sigh: Obviously I meant the remastered "red" album.

15. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

Has anyone seen the sets at Costco? If yes, what price?

16. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

So... question:

If these 2 new sets are taken from the 2009 remasters, are the Rubber Soul tracks taken from the 2009 stereo remastering of the 1987 remix?

I bought the Mono Box and am slowly buying individual CDs in stereo, so I don't have the new Rubber Soul stereo remaster yet. The Rubber Soul tracks on the Red set I brought home today, don't sound like what I remember from records growing up, while the original stereo mix included in the Mono Box does sound like my old records . It's not jarring, but I am looking for an explanation for the differences I'm hearing.

Would Help tracks on the new Red set also be from the 2009 remaster of the 1987 remix?

In contrast, the tracks from Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road seem to stand out on the Blue set. They are a pleasure to listen through.

Praise to the manufacturers for strong standardized color - I'm talking the literal blues and reds. The booklets feel substantial and I like the color pictures. It's a satisfying purchase for physical product people! (ignoring of course, the cardboard pockets for the discs themselves)

17. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

It's great to see that, again, a Beatles release sparks a 1100-post (and still counting!) discussion, concluding with:
    1) There are some minor differences, which are the same differences on the '93 and the vinyl blue compilation albums
    2) They may have tweaked the volume a bit of the individual tracks to make them sound a bit nicer as a 'whole' album.
    So no real reason to buy them, is there (apart from the fact I might suddenly buy them in a flash of Beatle-fanism...it has happened before! :))

18. Grant

Well, i'm just seeing your post right now, and haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but the reason is because they used the 1987 remixes for the stereo "Rubber Soul" and "Help". They argued that since this is what the public is now used to - the remixes - they are now the official stereo mixes. The orders came from EMI to do this. The remastering team had to bargain to get the original stereo mixes out, so they got them on the mono box. Sucks, doesn't it?

19. Grant

I caved in. Now you will too!

Seriously, the very first Beatles album I ever ever bought was the blue album. So, in a way, it has come full circle for me. The next year, I bought the red album.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. Grant

Same here. But, what the hell, it has clean intros and fades. And, the sound is the same as with the other remasters. The old blue CD set sounds bad in comparison. Mow I can truly say I have all the Beatles remasters that I could want, stereo and mono.

I'm working on John and George, and hopefully, they will get to Ringo.

21. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I guess that gives me a CDR project now - insert the original stereo mix tracks into the Red set's running order. Of course, if volume levels differ (and the Mono Box was not supposed to be compressed or otherwise modernized), it may not be worth doing.

22. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I never had the red or blue sets on vinyl or the '93 release. Never needed them, except that the '93 set had some first time available stereo mixes in a digital format.

So today at 9:50am I drove to BestBuy, was one of the first in there and bought ONLY the 62-66 set but handled the 67-70 set for a good 10 minutes before putting it back.

I'm sick....but I ONLY took a half dose !!!!!

Seems the first four tracks in mono have somewhat lower volume than the rest of the tracks that are stereo. Then when I put on disc 2, Help lept out at me. I could swear it's louder than the first disc by a bump or two. Anyone else hear this ?

23. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I went into a CD store today and they were playing the Blue set turned up a bit. It was funny they have the speakers at opposite ends of the big room and I had to stand in the middle for balance. Even as I walked in and heard sound from the one speaker, it was annoying. It didn't get better over three songs and I had to leave the store. Awful sonics. Let's blame it on the Bose speakers they store uses (but it is really the mastering).

24. Grant

They will probably have Bose speakers in hell for evil audiophiles.

25. SolarWind

SolarWind New Member

It's funny that the new booklets are so sloppy, because in one of the books about the White Album recording sessions I read how Yoko Ono kept saying "Beatles" without "The" on many occasions and Paul McCarney was very annoyed by this and usually replied "Um, it's The Beatles, love".

Wait a minute... Maybe Yoko co-wrote the new remasters' booklets? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.