Morrissey reissuing 'Bona Drag' with 6 unreleased tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slicing Eyeballs, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slicing Eyeballs

Slicing Eyeballs Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Bona Drag is the best ever album from Morrissey, in my opinion. I hope he leaves the original main tracklisting alone this time. The reissues of Southpaw Grammar and Maldjusted were insane.

3. Rottenstain

Rottenstain Forum Resident

Just got into Morrisey solo stuff, so this re-release is good for me, can't imagine what it offers for the hardcore fans though.

The debate is weather to get the CD or Vinyl

4. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

15. “Happy Lovers At Last United” *
    16. “Lifeguard On Duty” *
    17. “Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness” (Demo) *
    18. “Oh Phoney” *
    19. “The Bed Took Fire” *
    20. “Let The Right One Slip In” (Alternate Long Mix) *

17 and 18 have been floating around online for years, while 15 & 16 turned up on a bootleg LP titled 'Revelation' last year. 'The Bed Took Fire' is apparently an early version of the b-side 'At Amber'. Annoyingly, there is no room for 'Striptease With A Distance', which I understand is from this era.

5. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

A new version of Let the Right One In?. I'll be looking for this.

6. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

No "Striptease With A Difference"? Almost qualifies as a lost classic. Still lost though.

7. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

8. djork

djork Forum Resident

Great news!!! This comp was what got me into Morrissey and which led me to the Smiths. I've been meaning to pick it up on vinyl, but all of the used copies I ever found online were in the UK and I'm too cheap to pay to ship records across the pond.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

10. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Nice to see they are doing this on vinyl.

11. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I do love Bona Drag--aside from the inclusion of the Viva Hate songs, naturally.

But I have fears that the new (old) coloring on the album artwork will be too loud and compressed. ;)

12. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

Isn't Moz being a tad hypocritical re-releasing Bona Drag when last year he was urging fans not to buy the 3CD reissue of The HMV/Parlophone singles which contained all of Bona Drag's 14 tracks on it. I guess he's changed his mind now...

I do hope this re-issue has the full version of Will Never Marry on it instead of the edit that was on the original album.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

Using World of Morrissey, Bona Drag, My Early Burglary Years and a few other sources, I made a nice homemade compilation. :righton:

14. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

iTunes has worked wonders for my Morrissey compilations--allowing me to get rid of all of that annoying overlap.

George P likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

I rearranged the order of Bona Drag too, just to keep it fresh.

16. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

Luckily of those bonus tracks that have leaked prior, Striptease is the closest to properly mastered. If there was one to be left off, Striptease I'm okay with. (Even if it's the best of the batch!)

17. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

Good point!

Plus, there's the alternate version of "Piccadilly Palare" with the different verse and outro, which should've been released. Also "I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong" with Vini Reilly, which is beautiful and charming.

It should've been a proper two disc set.

18. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

19. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

I think it also helps to catch people's eyes as they're rifling through cds in a record store. "Oh why is the cover different? OOh! Bonus tracks!" Or summat..

20. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Old Moz is good in any form is great but he does play games with his releases....there is an unmentionable comp called Hang Around To Be Enticed floating around that collects every known obscure track....this is the type of comp he needs to put out/he's got some real little known gems.....

21. Slicing Eyeballs

Slicing Eyeballs Forum Resident Thread Starter

22. George P

George P Notable Member

23. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

24. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

"Note" was an outtake from the Viva Hate sessions, so it will most likely be part of the two CD reissue of VH scheduled for next year. The second CD is said Morrissey's first ever solo gig - at Wolverhampton in 1988 - in its entirety, as well as B sides, outtakes and demos from Viva Hate.

Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall & I and Kill Uncle are all getting the deluxe 2 CD remaster treatment. Long overdue. I liked the remastering to Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar - although the latter really didn't need it, because the original CD (UK) sounded great.

I don't know what the bonus stuff on the others will be, but I assume it will be period singles (standalones, B Sides, unreleased tracks and live recordings).

25. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

and no fewer than FOUR versions of Everyday is Like Sunday.

Every hardcore Moz fan really needs to hear THAT again. Especially the live versions, as that song is NEVER in his live set. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.