Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Next to play from my baroque collection ...

[​IMG]

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Michael Tilson Thomas...not a fan.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Where is everybody?

My set arrived today, so I am spinning:

[​IMG]

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

How's by you?

I was over at threads about the musics that don't make you smarter.

How's the Sixth?

5. George P

In that case, I have a bridge for sale in the Classifieds that you should check out. :D

I've only just opened the box and plan to work forward chronologically. I will let you know when I have heard #6.

6. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Never heard of that guy and came across it by chance Romeo and Juliette sounded good to me and it was a nice work imo... maybe you should try it before you judge it ?

I am a fan of this great jazz piano player from Norway on ECM Ketil Bjornstadt and I am playing his take on JS Bach - Variations (solo piano) at the moment and that sounds mighty good to my ears; still that typicalfar away ECM sound and vibe prevails. So I am not sure if this qualifies as classical music. But it is Bach and he is a real good technical advanced player with an own style..
    You could do worse than trying it out....

Another great piano & double bass recording on ECM is that new Charlie Haden / Keith Jarrett album JASMINE - The nicest new Jarret sounds since The Köln Concerto. LOVELY and dreamy...
    http://player.ecmrecords.com/jarrett-haden-jasmine

Attached Files:

• cd.jpeg
      cd.jpeg
      File size:
      82.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Where is that confounded bridge?

I'm all in favor of bridges.

I've got a bonafied Jones for the beastie right now, will soon receive the Nagano/Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin recording from booboomedia via Amazon.

8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Place seems to get periods where people must actually be listening to their posted finds!

9. George P

Nothing wrong with that! :cheers:

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Hindemith: Sonatas for Viola/Piano and Viola Alone - Kim Kashkashian with Robert Levin [ECM 1988, orig. aluminum-to-center West German edition, a classic and the only work in my collection by this composer]

Attached Files:

11. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Hi friends I am not much familiar with the following work: Pomp And Circumstance by Sir Edward Elgar, but I enjoyed it too much since I heard it for the first time back in the early 90's, the other day found this at YouTube, my question is the following: The version I am familiar to, is the one with no choruses, and this one in particular has some crowd noises and some claps, someone said that its kind of annoying but I find them cool, is like being there hearing the orchestra and the people singing together, can someone comment about it? Is the version with choruses available on CD?

Thanks much.

Here's the YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moL4MkJ-aLk

12. George P

Not sure if it's on CD, but one of the comments reveals the source of the performance:

13. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Thanks George, that was fast! So I was correct that this version is not common with choruses right? I really like how sounds!

14. coopmv

Eddie, I thought you were a fan of MTT? No?

He does not do anything for me.

15. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set from my baroque collection ...

[​IMG]

16. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

BRAHMS: Serenade No. 1 / Gerard Schwarz, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra / CD (Nonesuch, 9 79065-2)

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

No. I have some of his Mahler discs (demo sound and deluxe packaging), and the latest Eighth was actually very good, IMO. Although I haven't heard MTT conduct the SFS in person, what I have come across is bland and overly romantic for my taste. Perfect for San Francisco!

18. George P

[​IMG]

Now playing this CD that I picked up last year for $2.99

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm hooked on these MLP discs as bad as I am the RCA LSC line of records.

I always wondered if the "35mm film" recordings are a lot different (worse) than the mag taped recordings. Wilma Fine I recall did not answer this question when asked.

20. coopmv

There are some who think MTT is the best thing that ever happened to SFS, though I beg to differ. I think Herbert Blomstedt, the American-born Swedish conductor is order of magnitude better IMO. I have quite a number of CD's of Blomstedt with the SFS.

21. George P

Another one that I have, I forget which, I was listening to one day on the subway. I didn't know the music well and I kept hearing this clapping sound that I assumed was someone in the subway. Annoyed, I took my headphones off as one of these noise went off, realizing that the sound was coming from the recording. It was so realistic that I hadn't even considered the possibility that it was from the recording.

We are lucky that so many of these Mercury performances are great. It takes a lot more than good sound to impress me. In fact, I'd rather listen to an MP3 of a Rosenthal or Cortot performance than a 64 bit hi-res recording of a poor performance. Luckily, I don't have to take things that far. :righton:

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I am fully aware that just spot checking the back catalogs of Westminster, Everest, Mercury LP, RCA LS, the hotter DGs, a few six-eye Columbias, UK EMI & Decca, and several other golden age of stereo, golden era of analog labels, I may never make it in this lifetime up to the later digital era of recordings.

I want that Karl Bohm Schubert Syms DG set, and the Ravel/Debussy 1975 French EMI recordings on CD (I do have some LPs).

There might be more music recorded than there is time (left) to hear it all.:laugh:

23. George P

There definitely is, that's why I am selective about what I buy/listen to.

24. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I thought he (MTS) was the dancer..lol.. that young shmuck face..
    Fits good with that romantic ballet in any case. This is a nice EASY to listen to and enjoyable classical album, without being kitschy ...not Mahler nor Furtwängler or Bach..
    What a coincidence. Been listening to Kim Kashkashian tonight as well - together with Keith Jarrett = 3 Bach sonaten für cembalo und viola da gamba ...ECM again...

This one...attachment below

We can't play a dozen classical albums every day ...I need diversity - it can get boring otherwise < oth it is nice to have such a bomb rush phase with 5 or 8 great classical CD's / LP's played per day....

Attached Files:

25. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set from my baroque collection ...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.