AF to do Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khojem, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

You were referring to the Lenny Bruce news on the song?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My Lenny Bruce comment *was* the S&G reference.

3. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Early USA DADC copy Columbia CK 9363
    Matrix: DIDP 20199 21

TRACK 01 - Peak level 60.6 %
    TRACK 02 - Peak level 95.8 %
    TRACK 03 - Peak level 70.3 %
    TRACK 04 - Peak level 66.4 %
    TRACK 05 - Peak level 68.8 %
    TRACK 06 - Peak level 68.0 %
    TRACK 07 - Peak level 70.8 %
    TRACK 08 - Peak level 56.6 %
    TRACK 09 - Peak level 62.7 %
    TRACK 10 - Peak level 57.2 %
    TRACK 11 - Peak level 70.5 %
    TRACK 12 - Peak level 41.7 %

Looks like another match. :cool:

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Boy, I can't wait until a "AUDIOPHILE" label releases a Phil Ochs album, is LeeS going to be in for a BIG SURPRISE when he explores new music

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm doing my homework this time around so I don't get caught off guard by obscure Ochs references. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Ochs

Quite the colorful life!

6. NickM

NickM New Member

Not the same mix!

OK - your 57 year old ears are shot & you are full of it.

J/K :laugh: Excuse me; long-time lurker, first-time poster. But S&G is right behind The Beatles for me (or maybe right beside) and I am very happy to see AF releasing their titles.

I'm only 24 and my first exposure to PSRT was through the 2001 remixes, and I only realized they were remixes after reading this forum. I have the stereo and mono LPs too, but never listened to them much - so I am used to the remixes as my reference for the album. When I first put on the AF version, the "ambience" just seemed different. Listen to "Homeward Bound" for example and notice the reverb on the drums. Definitely not the same mix. On certain tracks all throughout the album, the AF version (original mix) just sounds much warmer and more natural. You can definitely tell the difference and see why Vic Anesini, though he did a great job, couldn't match the old analog echo chamber sound with his digital 'verb.

Listen to "Feelin' Groovy" on headphones (without crossfeed - this will mask the difference). The original version has a much harder-panned acoustic guitar in the left channel than does the remix. As I've listened to this, though, I've heard many, many differences...mostly in the reverb and room sound. Listen to the drums on "Homeward Bound" and guitar on "Feelin' Groovy" and you'll see what I mean. You'll also notice that there is slight sibilance on the latter track that is not present on the remix. Imperfections like that on a nearly 45 year old track are expected, but to me, the original mix sounds much more natural and pleasant. I am so happy to have discovered this!

Which one you like better, only you can decide. But I can for a certainty say that these two CDs are different mixes. I listened closely and (to me) it was quite a revelation. And this is coming from someone who doesn't hear many of the differences cited here, such as the difference between MoFi UDI and UDIIs, or CD-Rs and the originals. The difference is obvious with these though.

Nick

7. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

He was comparing the new AF release with the orignal 80's cd, not the 90's remix...

8. NickM

NickM New Member

I missed that. But I do disagree with the preference for the remix when it comes to "Homeward Bound"...I prefer the original mix MUCH more. Even with the quick fading at the beginning, the sound is much more natural on the original.

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks!

10. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

No problem. Yes, I was comparing my original Columbia CD of PSR&T (not the 2001 Anesini remix) to the new AF. My point was that the two CDs sounded quite close - much closer than I expected them to sound.

Even some of the anomalies match, including the first guitar note in "Homeward Bound", which doesn't sound completely right to me. (Is "quick fade" the right way to describe it?) When I listen to my original vinyl (bought in 1966 as I recall), that note is solid ... so it made me wonder.

But like I said, I'm no expert!

Dexter

11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That first note has always sounded to me like a fade up one would hear on a live recording added to a compilation or an album with the other tracks all coming from the studio. I almost expect applause to happen as soon as the audience recognizes the intro, and when it doesn't happen, it feels like there's something missing or else they faded seamlessly to a studio version.

12. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

So it has always been that way on LP? Be it Columbia or Sundazed reissue?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Don't know about the Sundazed, but it hasn't always been like that on LP.

14. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Wow, guess I'll be keeping my mid-70s vinyl then. Thanks for posting that.

16. NickM

NickM New Member

Having never heard the original mix on CD, it surprised me too. I definitely don't remember my original LP being that way, stereo or mono.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What happened to the separation on the Sundazed? It is terrible compared to the Canadian LP.

Also, it sounds like the first note *could* have been spliced in on the Sundazed. Note how there's just a wee bit more tape hiss for a brief moment.

Let me go pull out my US copies...

18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Hmm. The first is clear but sounds brittle and a bit thin in the bass. The Sundazed in comparison sounds more rounded but less 'alive' if you will. I'm listening on my Mac speakers as well so I shouldn't judge.

dan c

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

So let me get this straight... the Sundazed LP and the AF CD (both supposedly sourced from the master tape) and the old Columbia CD (not sourced from the master tape) all have the clipped first note on that song?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It isn't clipped on the Sundazed, based on Stefan's clip. Possibly edited on from another source, but not clipped.

IIRC there's a quick fade-up on the Collected Works version.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Clips:

Homeward Bound

-1A, -1E, -1AD, in that order. All 360 Sound/2 eye. Yes, the -1A sounds terrible...

22. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

None of those sound like quick fade-ups to me, Luke. I know nothing about matrix numbers, but I had a quick look at my LP & it says "-1H". (Side 2 is "-1J".) No "quick fade" there either.

I also checked Collected Works & you remember correctly - it does have the fade up.

Dexter

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I just got the AF gold CD and it sounds great to my ears. I prefer it to my old Japanese 32DP CBS/Sony CD.

24. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

This release sounds excellent IMO. Clear, present, dynamic, and balanced. It is a fine example of how well a CD can be produced and mastered. Though not an audiophile recording per se, it it certainly an engaging and enjoyable. Hat's off. I can't wait for Grand Illusion and Asia!

25. jonchapple

jonchapple New Member

I haven't got the older, pre-remix CD, so I can't comment on how this sounds compared to that (or whether they could be from the same A-D transfer), but the AF is a great sounding disc. Trounces the remix, IMO. Warm, smooth, dynamic, completely non-fatiguing. Love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.