The Beatles "Rain" appreciation thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kippyy, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Every time I listen to this song now, I just say "Wow"! From the heavy metal guitars, to Paul's melodic bass playing almost as a lead instrument, to Ringo's drumming, this is such an amazing song.
    Was this a single that never made an album?
    Do others feel the love for this song?

2. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Fantastic song.

If "Revolver" had included "Rain" and "Paperback Writer" that summer of 1966, I dare say we'd be talking about it as the greatest rock album ever issued (and yeah, I know some people already think that)...

:righton:

3. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

"Rain"was my first EVER Beatles song,"Paperback Writer"the second,immediately followed by "Substitute" by the Who!:righton:

I was 15 then,and hooked for life (literally)!!!:edthumbs:

Now I am almost 59 and convinced that "Revolver" and "Who's Next" ARE the greatest rock albums ever released!!:goodie:

4. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Agreed. Leave out Yellow Submarine and...oh....erm...what else?

5. edmund_k

edmund_k occasionally worth reading

I love the song and the promo film is so cool!

6. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Nope, I love YS.

OTOH, I could live without ever hearing "Good Day Sunshine" or "And Your Bird Can Sing" again. Dump them for "Rain" and "Paperback Writer" and the album is perfect.

7. :thumbsup: 'Rain' just so happens to be my favourite Beatles song.

8. djork

djork Forum Resident

One of the most badass basslines ever. Just amazing.

9. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Revolver could have been even more awesome

I agree. Leave out "Good Day Sunshine" and include cuts as above, and then it makes my top 3 of all time..I only "discovered" Rain after acquiring the Past Masters CD

10. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Mine too. :agree:

My flatmate Fred and his band learned the song and played it at a show on my 23rd birthday (many years ago), as a present for me. Fred was the bassist and played McCartney's part perfectly. :)

11. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree. Yellow Submarine is the only weak song on the record.
    And Your Bird Can Sing is one of their crowning achievements for the guitars alone.

12. emkay

emkay Senior Member

I'm really attached to those songs, too. I like Revolver just the way it is. Perhaps it could have been 16 tracks?:righton:

Rain would be an excellent way to end a side. It's one of my absolute favorite songs.

13. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

If its presence on the UK REVOLVER was precluded by their policy of excluding singles from the LP's ("Yellow Submarine" notwithstanding) what if Capitol had picked up on it for their re-aligned REVOLVER, or even included it on YESTERDAY & TODAY? (I really like Y&T as is, but PB would have really reinforced one of Capitol's better "butcheries".)

In retrospect, it really is amazing that Capitol didn't find a spot for it on one of those two releases, but I guess they were saving it for the next Beatles album after REVOLVER, not knowing that Capitol's "Beatles chop shop" would soon be out of business with the advent of the album as an entity.

Frankly, that cut would have added to any period LP! Re British REVOLVER, it is an amazing album - perhaps their best. I would not lose any of the final tracks, but I had always hoped for a re-issued LP with the associated single. Of course, with REVOLVER, it's really tough to follow up "Tomorrow Never Knows" with anything.

14. bumper

bumper Forum Resident

Rain is a fantastic song, beautifully played. As others have pointed out, Paul's bassline is amazing (listen to the song while concentrating on *just* the bass), the guitars are noisy, and the backing vox are tight. An all-around good show. And they used it as a B-side? Incredible.

15. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Oh yeah, another thought re adding "Paperback Writer" and "Rain" to the US-configured REVOLVER - today we would have a solid case for CAPITOL ALBUMS Vol. 3!

;)

16. Vinophile

Vinophile Active Member

Replace "Yellow Submarine" with "Rain" and Revolver would have been perfect.

17. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Me too! I remember hearing it for the first time, and thinking "this is something new." Played it over and over trying to figure how, what they did.

McCartney's bass is d.i. into the board. Uber harmony's, GREAT Ringo licks, sleepy Lennon vocal.

Another 3 minute miracle.

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Great song! Should have been on REVOLVER instead of "Dr. Robert."

Aftermath likes this.
  19. SAPCOR1

SAPCOR1 Forum Resident

A 16 track Revolver with Paperback Writer & Rain would have been fantastic

I'd have Paperback Writer as track 2 on side 1 just after Taxman and Rain just before Tomorrow Never Knows on side 2

20. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

George had three songs on "Revolver," so "Love You To" would be one of my contenders for removal. And since it was an unwritten rule that Ringo *had* to have a song on every Beatles album, "YS" has to remain. I'd remove "Eleanor Rigby" as the second removal, since it was available as a b-side, and it's really a McCartney solo song (barring the vocals).

J. D.

21. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

It's in my top 5 favorites as well.

22. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

I made a needledrop of the mono and my bonus track's included the mono single plus the original american mixes from yesterday and today and the -1 mix of tnn. All mono and sound's fantastic.

23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

One of the greater Beatles underbellies and fits perfectly with PW and Revolver.

24. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I discovered Rain as a 7 year old whilst listening to the Hey Jude album (on cassette).

The song changed me. I thought ALL rock and roll should sound that way.

Mind you, I was 7 in 1986 and NOTHING at the time sounded that cool, but damn...i wanted to make music that cool.

Amazing song. Amazing single. Revolver is still top notch without these, but to think if they were included...wow...

Aftermath likes this.
  25. Karate Monkey

Karate Monkey New Member

I still have my original Capitol mono 45, and though it's sounding a bit rough nowadays, I still love it.

By the way, these are the backwards vocals at the end of the song - from the end of the song forward - "Sunshine. Rain. If the rain comes they run and hide their heads."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.