Dean Martin - I found a stereo Return To Me

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

It was recorded in '58 so it shouldn't surprise me to hear it in stereo, but on every single disc I've heard it on 'till now it's been in mono. Why is it that it's in stereo only on this Canadian CD (as far as I know)?

Attached Files:

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...here we go again!:D

3. Sean Keane

Here we go again what?

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Canada seems to be the place for strange/rare releases (Beatles Rubber Soul/Help cd's).

5. Sean Keane

Oh, that's what I thought he meant after I posted.

I have four other discs with this on it and they're all mono. Every Dean disc with it I could sample at CD Universe are also all mono. This one doesn't seem available there.

6. Michael

he meant you seem to find the goodies up there.:D

still diggin that Frank Sinatra CD...

7. Sean Keane

I appreciate that, especially considering some thought I was going overboard in my praise of it.

8. Michael

Sean, you were spot on with that one...fabulous!

overboard? NO WAY!

9. Sean Keane

By the way, the sound is exceptional. Smooth, full, crystal clear and no remastering added compression. I've heard very few fifties recordings this clean and dynamic, though I admit there's many I haven't heard.

10. Michael

saw a "Rat Pack" Dino, Frank, Sammy... Christmas CD mastered by Bob N...I put it down even though it was only a buck...ever hear that one?

11. Sean Keane

I never feel I'm passing on anything when I pass on a Bob Norberg remaster. What I do find strange, though, is how there are instances when his noise-reduction seems not to muffle the sound one bit. A perfect example is his remaster of River, Stay Away From My Door.

12. Sean Keane

13. Michael

Sean...please post the particulars for this CD...thanks.:)

14. Michael

got pretty excited when I saw that Christmas CD, but put it down immediately after I saw the credits. who knows though it may be good? anyone have this?

15. JBFoster

JBFoster New Member

There are two versions of "Return To Me": original mono Capitol single recorded in 1958 and a stereo re-recording in 1961 for the "Dino - Italian Love Songs" album. The re-recording is about 20 seconds longer.

Does that cd match this EU cd mastered by Lee Herschberg from 1998?

16. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Sean, are you sure this isn't the '61 they've mis-identified as the '58? The original is one of my favorite songs, period, and I'd thought it was recorded full-track mono only. Never heard the '58 stereo.

17. Sean Keane

Well, this is interesting. Last night after hearing that it's in stereo on Italian Love Songs I figured I started another useless thread, but after this information maybe not: The stereo version on the Canadian CD (which doesn't have the same songs as on the Herschberg EU disc, by the way) clocks in at 2:45, as does all the mono single versions I've heard. So I guess that means it is the '58 single version, eh?

It's also in stereo on this other Canadian CD from 1988 (first image), which has eight of its sixteen Capitol tracks in stereo.

If you guys in the States want Return To Me in stereo look for this Wally Traugott 1988 remaster (second image), however, I noticed the disc I started this thread about has a much clearer sound.

Attached Files:

18. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

It was Re-Recorded for "Dino-Italian Love Songs" because Capitol was releasing it in Stereo-It was later Re-Issued Along with another Lp as "Return To Me/I Can't Believe You're In Love With Me" in 1969..The other Lp was "This Time I'm Swingin'"- Both Lp's was Reissued on CD by CCM recently.
    Michael Boyce

19. Sean Keane

But if the re-recording is twenty seconds longer, then this is the original single in stereo.

20. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The first Dean Martin stereo session was 9/15/58. He recorded the songs from "Rio Bravo" and the original version of "On An Evening In Roma".

The original version of "Return To Me" was recorded on 1/23/58. It does not exist in TRUE stereo. It was issued in Duophonic or FAKE stereo.

21. Sean Keane

How long is the re-recording of Return To Me?

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There is no stereo RETURN TO ME. The notes show that this was a full-track mono recording for a 45 RPM release, no binaural "coverage" ordered. Same for VOLARE. One year later they started covering almost ALL sessions with binaural recordings..

23. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Really? Then why is the Version on the Lp different sounding than the 45? And,I hear the tempo on the Lp version a little slower than the 45,too...I guess it's a Alternate version...i could be wrong,but.. Michael Boyce

24. Sean Keane

I guess I was wrong again. On the Time-Life Your Hit Parade, Return is 2:26, so the others at 2:45 that I assumed were the original recording are the re-recording.

25. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

If you are comparing the version on the LP "Dino-Italian Love Songs" to the 45 single version you are comparing two DIFFERENT recordings. The version on the LP was recorded in 1961.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.