Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Agreed 100%.

2. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. They are trying too hard, which for me comes off as not being real, genuine, or authentic for that matter. Well, the 3 years Cliff was in the band and those ideas he had were super important to shaping the sound of the band.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

4. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

That's a bit unfair, don't you think? When Metallica goes in new directions, they get hammered for straying from their roots. When they return to those roots (to the demands of their oldschool fans all these years), they get hammered for "trying too hard."

If I didn't know better, I'd guess some fans just enjoy being cranks about Metallica. It's fashionable to hate them, in that bizarre high school sort of way.

Interesting that Cliff Burton is epitomized as the soul of Metallica's classic speed metal sound. In fact, he was the one who introduced melody and complex songwriting into the group. He's the difference between Kill Em All and Ride the Lightning. And the arguing among the fans over those two albums have continued to this day. It's the same old routine, almost kabuki theatre at this point.

Ah, well, whatever. If you enjoy the music, that's great. If not, that's fine. Everyone has their own trip to follow. Just don't get so cynical and conspiracy minded. It may be that these guys were honest to their music all along.

5. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I'm not sure about this. I haven't played Guitar Hero 3 in a while -- I'm a Rock Band guy -- but I don't remember being able to just play the music (without the game element). I'm curious how this copy was created.

6. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

People want the to see fire in a new release, just like the early Metallica releases. The only problem is, the band aren't living together in a one room apartment earning money to buy beer. The are rich, middle-aged men with families and a corporation to support. The fire that they had cannot be rekindled. Either enjoy it for what it is, or find a new young band that has the same fire.

7. Chad Etchison

Chad Etchison New Member

Distorted or compressed, from listening online it's a serviceable album by a band well past it's prime.

8. baelon

baelon New Member

I haven't heard either set, but from reading everything I can find about the album, it seems all retail copies, both digital and vinyl, were produced from the same overloud master, and the only version in existence that sounds good is from Guitar Hero 3.

9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Its not about the music, its about the quality of the recording and mastering, I am sorry but a badly recorded Cd is not a 'new direction'?

10. Maidenpriest

that is the same for other groups of there age (and older) and caliber but they still managed it ok?

11. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Not many bands can match what they put out 20 or 30 years earlier, unless they were never successful. Success has a way of changing people.

12. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

That was exactly my point...
    Now we'll get to see if they care, and how much...

13. Maidenpriest

I can think of quite a lot who had a bigger or same impact with Rock Music, who are still progressing and making quality releases do you really want me to name them, and what they are doing now?? Cd's alone this month Queen+PR, Gilmour, Motorhead they are still pushing boundries IMO

14. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Frankly, I think that's pretty much a myth that comes from the Justice debacle...

Take a listen to Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets and you won't find a clear bass guitar most of the time...

Now just take the black album and press "play"... bass aplenty...

I'm listening to Reload as I type, and the bass is not hard to make out at all either...

And then St. Anger went back to bury the bass guitar again...

It varies from album to album, and it really doesn't matter who's playing it...

15. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Lars isn't a crap drummer to me. He is incredibly grooveless, but that goes with the style of music he plays. Now his drum sound is another story. Why he likes that clicky bass drum sound is beyond me. This is the first album in quite a long time that they haven't used a click track on, so to hear a little "human-ness" in his playing is great for me. I happen to like that aspect of it. A crap drummer would be Meg White. She can barely play! Lars does what he does and what he has always done, and I respect that.

Frank R.

16. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

I have to completely disagree...
    Cliff was a great player and he brought good things to the band, no doubt; but Metallica's always been about Lars & James, whether we like it or not...

Metallica has been accused of "selling out" since Ride The Lightning times, and even Cliff himself said the band would do whatever they felt like doing and that they didn't give a damn what people said (I'm paraphrasing)...

17. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I'm curious what other drummers think of Lars. I'm not a drummer but I always listen to the drums. I think Lars had groove on the Black Album and Loads (especially 2x4, or Ronnie). But that's long gone.
    That clicky bass drum - thanks to Justice, it's the default bass drum sound in metal, although in metal you never hear acoustic drums anymore anyway.
    I think I read somewhere (interview with Mercedes Lander, maybe) that Lars uses/used a metal bass drum beater.

18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

It certainly is. The bass drum sound on DM is actually not as clicky as some others — on Pantera's Far Beyond Driven, it sounds like tap dancing.

19. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Official press release from Metallica :confused:

20. Maidenpriest

:laugh: that is a joke right?:laugh:

21. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Is that for real??? That would be a really dumb thing to do!

Frank R.

22. magick28

magick28 New Member

I have seen and read interviews with lars and james where they have said the music they are making now would be different if cliff were still in the band.Do you really think cliff would of put up with the cartoonish music of the black album or the junk on the load and reloads?

23. Maidenpriest

Who knows, but as much as I love it 'Pulling Teeth' is pretty cartoonish IMO, it is a Bass doodle,:D nothing wrong with that though??

24. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

;)

No, that would be the smart thing to do business wise.

25. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Though I didn't download Death Magnetic for GH3, I've downloaded plenty of stuff for my xbox 360. That press release seems "off" in several respects. You don't purchase DLC from a store and there is no order number. There's no "retailer" involved.

Must be a prank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.