Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Forum Resident

I got mine last weekend and they had a ton. Don't go spending big money on Ebay just yet.

-HM

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I won't. I have a friend who goes to the Mall Of America in Minnesota quite often, and I'm gonna ask her to grab one for me.

3. Hollow Man

They should have it. I've been there once. It's huge. In case you didn't know. :)

-HM

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

well.... I've heard the new one a few times. I only can say, I'm very disappointed from the Death Magnetic. No progress.... after all the years. It's just a record to sell tickets for the next World Tour... nothing else. Business as usual.

rating: 3/10

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Oh well. To each their own. I'm loving it. Not sure how much "progress" a metal band like Metallica can make. Do you expect flutes and Mellotrons? Songs about dwarfs? What "progress" do you want?

6. Seb0410

Seb0410 Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, there is no mastering credit in the liner notes of Death Magnetic.

It had been believed that Ted Jensen, chief mastering engineer at Sterling Sound studios would do it, but it's true that Death Magnetic has been dropped from his projects as seen on http://www.sterling-sound.com

Who then mastered so badly the album ? Or has this been mastered at all after all ? :realmad:

7. Hollow Man

It's highly possible, like with Rush's Vapor Trails, that this was introduced at the mixing, or even recording, stage. I think it's hard to be sure.

-HM

8. highfidelity81

highfidelity81 Forum Resident

Pitchfork, as much as I love that site, are the biggest music snobs on the internet.

9. highfidelity81

highfidelity81 Forum Resident

He might have done it with some over his shoulder telling him what they wanted. After he heard the finished product probably wanted his name taken off it. What mastering engineer wants to claim credit for that horrible job?

10. Cacepi

Cacepi New Member

I Believe Iggy Pop Mixed and Mastered this....

it does sound 'in the mix' - Metallica are not known for great mixes...And Justice..

11. tokenganja

tokenganja New Member

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

There's still no conclusive proof that VP was in the mix. Paul Northfield is not an incompetent engineer.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

I like it. Unforgiven III needs to grow on me, I was expecting something different.

Overall, the riffs and solos are great. I guess I'll never understand how some folks' expectations could be met. DM and St.Anger are two of the heaviest albums in their catalog, but still "don't hold up". Anyways, back to listening ;)

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

III is the only one that hasn't turned my crank.

Yeah, they're screwed no matter what they do. When they did Load, Unload, ReLoad, PantLoad everyone cried for "the good old days". They get heavy, and still more whining.

16. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

The only problem is, I think Paul came in late. I think Lerxt recorded them in his home studio.

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Called Futureshop to check stock on vinyl. Gave the SKU number...her response?

"is that the Toshiba DVD player you're looking for?":shake:

18. Hollow Man

http://www.2112.net/rushablekingdom/news/vt/jam_05_07_02.html

"Lifeson was on the phone four or five times a day with Lee, who was forced to deal with unexpected glitches that didn't emerge until late in the recording process."

Alex: "We found problems that we didn't hear in mixing that were apparent in mastering. To get the kind of levels (we wanted), we had digital distortion. We remixed a couple of songs half-way through the mastering, through the remix, back to mastering."

Geddy on the finished product: "I don't know what to think. I think it's awful."

-HM

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The flyer I got from music direct said Kevin Gray cut this lp.

20. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

The regular, 2-LP set?

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Yes, that is what it indicates. I ordered from Amazon with some other stuff.

22. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Interesting. Perhaps thiere is hope, after all.

23. Hollow Man

I got the 2 LP set from best Buy this morning. It's warmer because it's vinyl, but it isn't this extraordinary difference in sound to my ears. By the nature of it it's quieter, so I can push the volume up without it getting brittle. But there's still a haze under the instruments.

-HM

24. RuneSpyder

RuneSpyder New Member

Well, Ted Jensen, the dude that mastered the CD actually replied to someone from one of the Metallica Forums...
    http://www.metallicabb.com/index.php?showtopic=85317&st=0

I hope that MOFI didn't have the same mix for the LP

25. Hollow Man

The 2 LP set is not MoFi. If MoFi did do the 5 LP set, and that mail really IS from Jensen, then MoFi couldn't save it unless they went back to a further point in the recording and/or mixing process. Doesn't MoFi work off the original master? That's what it says in my Ultradisc of Rush's Permanent Waves. If that's true, it's no use.

-HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.