Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Amazon.com lists the 5-LP edition as containing a bonus CD... cool.

2. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I'd be willing to bet the vinyl is mastered from the CD for this one... It's hard for me to imagine them doing the vinyl correctly in this day and age.

3. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

I went to my local record shop today. The owner said he expects to get my vinyl copy tomorrow.

4. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

I think that's just the album on CD.

5. hotrats2

hotrats2 New Member

From Mustaine to bob rock, thats a change in direction for sure, perhaps Rick can get em back on track but their reputation has been destroyed. I am, however, interested in hearing this record after all these posts I have read. I am just saying if it's good it will be a "listen with the shades drawn" kinda thing for me and a lot of others. I remember when people would tag metallica and it was underground, those days are gone and no one can bring back the hunger they had. Iy James is comfortable in his skin and as frontman it will work, big if though.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Forum Resident

I'm the guy who had them make sure the petition said to fix either the mastering OR the mixing. I'm not convinced they didn't introduce the high volume during the mixing, or even the recording phase. I also have reservations about whether the vinyl will sound better. I got burned with the Rush Vapor Trails vinyl, and the DVD-Audio of Maiden's Dance of Death is also smashed dynamically.

In a completely bizarre twist, the 320 kbps mp3 files I got today from being a Mission Metallica Platinum member are lower in volume than the CD single of "The Day That Never Comes" I bought from Hot Topic. Additionally, I believe there is a bit less distortion. It's still there, but I can tell on certain chords James is playing that they're a bit smoother than the CD single version.

I do not yet have the full album on CD, but I suspect it will be as loud as the CD single version.

I wish I knew what was going on there at Metallica HQ.The 5 LP set is supposedly made by MoFi, but honestly, spending over $100 just to see if it sounds better is too risky. There's also a 2 disc set, so I may fork over the $ and see what that's like.

Conclusion: great music from them, but terrible post production.

-HM

7. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Surprisingly, the vinyl is not. I found a needledrop on the net and it sounded quite nicely, save for the cracks and pops.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thanks!

Lovin' it so far!

Kirk's playing is saying...." no solos last time? I'll %&*%@* show you!!!":D

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

I'm a MM member, where do you get the 320kbps downloads? Also, what is on the B-side of the single?

10. Hollow Man

If you are a Platinum member (i.e. spent the $25) they will send you a code and URL in email. They've been doing it since the afternoon little-by-little. Mine got stuck in my spam filter.

The B-side is "No Remorse" live from The Citrus Bowl, Orlando, on July 13 2003.

-HM

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

No code in my email yet, but I did find several other MM messages in my spam folder. Looks like only 1/2 of the messages are getting past my spam filter.

I wonder where I can get that single... not available on Amazon AFAIK.

12. Hollow Man

To my knowledge the single is only available via Hot Topic stores. $2.99.

-HM

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Suicide and Redemption kills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I find the vinyl tomorrow the police might be visiting!

14. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

first impression: the booklet is cool & sucks all at the same time. The "grave" goes all the way thru to the cardboard and it appears lyrics have been cut out. I apologize if this has been addressed earlier, I didn't want to read this thread until after listening to it. I'm jumping in now.

15. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Yeah, I love that song. It was a thrill to hear a classic Black Sabbath riff ("Sick of it All" from Sabotage) anchor that instrumental. This may be my favorite Metallica instrumental of them all, but it's far too soon to say for sure. I'll have to let it settle in and see how I feel six months from now.

These songs have been my emotional anchor this past week. Broken, Beaten & Scarred, especially. All Nightmare Long, Judas Kiss, and Suicide & Redemption are more personal highlights.

Death Magnetic's biggest surprise? Unforgiven III, hands down. That was a great shocker for me, and I loved it. Great song. The Unforgiven was just about my favorite Metallica song from the Black Album, and I haven't tired of hearing it 17 years later. Unforgiven II? Ehh, not so much. I liked the Stones-ey verses but not the metal chorus. Probably the low point of the otherwise excellent Re-Load album for me.

Unforgiven III somehow manages to complete the set as a longwinding story. It establishes a continuity where none existed, which is very interesting. Now these two earlier songs have an extra layer of meaning for me (The Unforgiven is a perfect anthem for any 18-year-old vowing not to waste his life). And it's a terrific song in and of itself. The beginning was terrific! Even now, on their "comeback" album, Metallica finds new sounds to explore. Of course, there's that Morricone groove to the song (I swear the Black Album is really an Ennio Morricone tribute album in disguise). "Seas of gold" a nod to "Esctacy of Gold?" This song will be the album's big radio hit.

I know most everyone will hear Death Magnetic as a return to the classic '80s thrash metal era, but I'm hearing a lot of that '90s groove intertwined in these songs. The stuff I loved the most from the Load era - competing rhythm guitars, greasy guitar distortions, wide variety of sounds - are present here. I think the reason I was never into most metal is because all the bands used the same buzzsaw guitar sound, with the midrange shut out. I much prefer the gurgling, muddy sounds of Seattle grunge rock...all the children of Black Sabbath's Master of Reality and Vol. 4.

The free album stream at Metallica's site sounds far better than any of the other rips that were on YouTube. I'm greatly impressed, and glad it isn't as horribly compressed as I'd feared. A very loud album, yes, but in a good way. Now I only hope there's a store in Minneapolis-St. Paul that will have the vinyl lp in stock.

Terrific album. Great, great album. I don't know where I'll place it in the Metallica canon, since it's brand new, but I'm having a blast with it right now. This album really speaks to me, especially after all the madness of last week. It's just about the best album Metallica could have made now, and I think it really re-establishes them as the Led Zeppelin of Our Generation. I'm glad Metallica is back. Now don't screw it up, guys!

16. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

17. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I would say it is their best work since the black album, liked it a lot.
    KEA, RTL, MOP, BA -10's
    AJFA - 9 (material a 10, muddy sound and 8).
    L, RL - 8'S
    St Anger - 6
    I'm not sure if DM get's more then a 9 from me, many more listens before a final grade.
    I'm not going to rate the sound of this just yet as I haven't filled out my profile and I did listen to it at pretty low volume. I would say as a general rule I listen to stuff at less volume then 80% of listeners. (I base this on getting into people's cars and asking them to turn stuff down and people telling me to turn stuff up in my car).

18. highfidelity81

highfidelity81 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Oh joy....this is from my CD. "The Day That Never Comes"

19. Cacepi

Cacepi New Member

Wow - Rick Rubin just keeps getting better and better - Didn't think he could top Californication or SOAD albums, but he did... Can add to his list of accomplishments - Brick Layer.

The only good thing I can see come from this is - Maybe the General public will become aware of the 'Loudness Wars' - by asking - What the hell is wrong with my new Metallica album?

Not a bad album (musically - for Metallica ) I think this is as good as its gonna get with these guys now days. The tunes I like are - Broken, Beat & scarred and all Nightmare Long - sounds like they at least tried...lol Sorry but The Unforgiven III just sounds like STP's Creep - I can't listen to this song but I know I'm going to hear it a thousand times over the next year..

20. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

Good God I hope not...It's not a very interesting song at all.

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Sounds like the boys have listening to some Thin Lizzy. Some really nice dual guitar licks going on.

Kirk has really come back guns-a-blazing.

22. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Hot Topic stores might have them LP in stock in the future. The one at Northtown does have the three recent Warner reissues.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

24. Dave D

Dave D Done!

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've never heard of Hot Topic stores. Are these singles still plentiful and in stock? I see people asking for $40 for them on Ebay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.