CD storage racks?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerry, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

I need a cd rack, and have come up empty in searches in past threads and internet surfing. Any suggestions on where I can buy a rack that fits these dimensions, approximately:

height: 72"
    depth: 7"
    width: 32"

I don't mind assembling, but I do mind building. I don't need real wood, nor anything fancy. (No WAF involved. It's in my soundroom.) Just sturdy and functional, and no more than $100 if possible. Thanks!

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

www.ujws.com

It costs more than your stated budget, but it's great stuff!

3. Jerry

Thanks! They do look nice, but I need more vertical space. 72" high, and wider if possible, like 30-32".:righton:

4. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I use two of the CD-350 units stacked, on top of the 4" riser. I mount all of this to the wall, even though each stack sits on the floor. This gives maximum storage per sq/ft of floor space. I have several of these stacks, which yields space for 700 CDs in the floor-space of 50 CDs.

5. mike g

mike g Forum Resident

6. filper

filper Forum Resident

'Benno' from Ikea. $40 each. You'd need three.

I have them. Completely customizable.

Attached Files:

7. Jerry

Thanks, good suggestions, but I'd say my limit would $150. What I'm looking for is a one-piece rack to place against a wall. Kind of like an Ikea Billy bookcase, but not as deep and with more shelving.

:righton:

8. mike g

mike g Forum Resident

9. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Hve you checked out www.racksandstands.com?

They have a wide selection of prices, finishes and heights. Quality is pretty good for put together racks and they usually have free shipping.

I purchased three units last year (60 inches high and just a little deeper than a CD) and I'm very happy.

10. Jerry

11. Jerry

I probably would have to get 4. It would be perfect if it was one unit, since I'll have to fasren them to the wall. But definitely an option, thanks! I like Ikea....

12. Jerry

I like the free shipping, and the reviews are VERY helpful. I think maybe I should up my budget a bit, as the more inexpensive units are reviewed as "flimsy". :righton:

13. mike g

mike g Forum Resident

I'll meet you at the ferry!
    I have their lp rack. Finished it myself with some stain and poylurethane

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, these are pretty good - 77" X 32" X 10" (because it is slightly angled). Only problem: shipping from Japan is about $1 million.

Attached Files:

15. Jerry

Even the ferry is far from me! I'm in the northwest hills of CT. Cue the "Deliverance" theme music.......

:thumbsup:

16. Jerry

Is that one million in yen or dollars? ;)

17. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

i know this is not what you want to buy :)
    But this system holds each CD tight in place, like a Fisher nut and keeps it dustfree and safe. You can put 200 CD's in each of these boxes and place them on any flat surface or hang them to the wall- the only real satisfying solution for this darn CD's i hate so much - drop them - they break, put them in upright poisition they will slip. Urgg - how i hate that plastic mess - but the CD's i have in these boxe sare easy on my mind. I should get more for the rest of my CD's, but they are not important enuff for me - (Vinyl type)

http://www.protected.de/artikel_3000/3035.htm

18. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Just get the Jerry Garcia wooden crate from jerrygarcia.com!

Course, you'd need about 50 of them. But they are giving free ones away with purchase!

:righton:

19. Jerry

Really? With all the money I've spent there and at Dead.net, they should give me 50 of them!

Thanks for the tip!:righton:

20. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

I just got 8 of the IKEA Benno units... and I'm going to need 4 more. But I needed something that has the flexibility for all my slimline CD singles, paper sleeves, doubles, box sets, and just plain odd packaging.

21. Jerry

Do the Benno units snuggle up to each other nice and tight, or am I better off looking for a single unit rack?

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I purchased one of those cheap Sauder cabinets and fidgeted around with it and it works fine.

23. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Just screw them together or glue them together. I use cleats I make to mount all my cabinets. A cleat is a piece of wood with one side cut at a 45* angle. Mount one on the wall and one on the cabinet. Use the same thickness spacers so it remains || to the wall.

A cleat looks like this more or less |__\ |__/

24. filper

filper Forum Resident

Yes. You can screw them together easily for perfect line up. They are heavier than the look.

You will have to join them together to anchor them to the wall up top.

I'll snap a photo tonight so you can see just how sharp they do look.

Customizable for any size disc CD, DVD-A, DVD, CD3's too I'm sure. Very well planned unit(s).

25. Jerry

Thanks Greg, Mike & filper, and everyone else earlier...:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.