When is the excessive digital compression applied?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MichaelCPE, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I'm sure someone here can find the quote faster than me. Someone here emailed Bob about it and he said that the McCartney album was squashed when get got it in for mastering.

2. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I searched and found several people here who had emailed Bob Ludwig about "Memory Almost Full".

3. seriousfun

seriousfun Forum Resident

-while recording, compression can be applied as an analog or digital process, limiting the dynamic range of the recorded signal forever

- while mixing, individual tracks or groups of tracks, bussed together, can be compressed

-while making the final mixdown, this can be compressed or limited (limiting is at its core just compression with a high or infinite compression ratio, out of the scope of this thread, but it can be explained)

some mixers at this point use the compression or limiting while mixing, but deliver the mix to the mastering engineer without the compression so the mastering engineer can choose how much, if any, to apply.

-the mastering engineer can choose to compress and/or limit the dynamic range of the mix to fit it to the delivery requirements

---

All of this has an effect on the dynamic range of individual parts or the entire mix. None is inherently evil, but, especially the compression and limiting of final mixes can be the problem that is being discussed here.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There is a lot of blame going toward some generic digital compressor that seems to cover all the negative things happening to the sound of modern music. I'm not sure where this idea came from but digital compression is no different than analog compression. Don't let anyone tell you anything different. I'm going to post some clips comparing an analog compressor I use every day with its digital counterpart. I doubt even I can tell a difference.

I know this post won't help and there will be yet another thread just like this in two weeks blaming that same generic digital compressor for all evils but for now trust me that isn't the case. It's a mix style. That's it. No matter how popular it is to debate this whole issue has nothing to do with digital or analog anything. It's merely a case of old aesthetic versus new.

Old school mixes had dynamics. There was something loud so there had to be something soft. Modern mixes have much finer balances to make them more competitive and louder even before the compression. Everything is given more of an equal importance in the mix so the instruments are much closer in volume making the overall mix sound louder. It's actually really cool to be able to hear every instrument at all times. It takes a heck of a lot of skill to make these type of mixes. Then you add compression to that already tightly compacted mix and you get a louder end product.

But please stop saying its digital compression and Pro Tools causing the problem. That's just misinformation and complete silliness (although it does give me a chuckle). :laugh:

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I totally disagree but then I hate mixes that have all instruments and voices at equal volume. Nothing like that occurs in nature and the ear knows it. If it did, we would all be deaf by now. After a while, one tunes out (or loses interest).

Also, if digital compression and analog compression sounded the same I doubt Jamie would have need for an EMI analog squeeze box or a Teletronix LA-2a, Fairchild, etc. Go 'head, sell 'em!:)

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Here, from an email to me:

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I have analog consoles so I can't use plug-ins. I need the real units in that room but my digital rooms use plug-ins and they're amazingly true to the originals. No way to accurately tell the difference, especially inside a mix.

8. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

We should open an ICU (Intensive Common-Sense Unit) on this forum for those people to consult before making their last decision. Perhaps we can talk some sense into them. ;)

9. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

No, but it probably won't rain as much in Iowa. ;)

10. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

What? What earring are you talking about? ;)

11. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

More proof that we need your input. :)

12. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

+1 :)

13. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Jamie, I am still waiting to listen to them since the other thread. Let me know when you upload them.
    :)

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I haven't made them yet. Maybe this weekend I'll have a few minutes to do it. I'll start a thread, probably with a poll.

15. ajuk

ajuk Forum Resident

You seem to say its a good thing then say its a problem, make ur mind up! :confused:

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I don't think I made an assertion either way. :confused: It's blanket statements like all digital compression is bad that I'm complaining about and trying to correct. I think many here have been told digital=bad and that's simply wrong and myopic.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I respectfully put out there that you are confusing a hatred of digital compression in mastering with digital compression in mixing and recording. As a recording engineer that would be your mindset but no one here (at least I assume that to be true) is too concerned about anything except what happens after a mix is mastered with needless digital compression/limiting...

This has nothing to do with the normal recording and mixing process. Digital compression is used all the time in modern recording. It can sound good or bad at the operator's discretion. The use of digital compression in mastering an analog recording is what is pointless and damaging to the sound.

18. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

It depends. What people are generally complaining about when referring to "compressed" "smashed" "brickwalled" or "loud" sound is compression typically applied during the mastering phase with the deliberate intention of minimizing dynamic range irregardless of sound quality.

This kind of compression can be and is sometimes applied in prior stages. It'll sound bad regardless of the stage at which it occurs and whether it is digital or analog gear that's being misused. Obviously it would be best if recordings are "tracked" and mixed properly, then over-compressed at the mastering stage if insisted upon at the ignorant request of someone "responsible." That way a proper recording exists if someone wants to release it in a form more amendable to listening.

It is.

But I thank you. You're trying to make as good a recording as you can in "tracking" and mix, so it'll exist in a well recorded form apart from this current phase. It could be this way for a long time yet, but someday all things will change. Already there are sometimes alternative releases. There are many older recordings that had terrible first issues, but which we can now hear in beautiful sound thanks to engineers having recorded it well regardless of the release sound. Someone somewhere someday may very well appreciate that you recorded it well no matter how crappy the self-extinguishing CD release was.

19. RevolutionDoctor

RevolutionDoctor Forum Resident

My 2 cents :

- compression is mostly needed when mixing because all the instruments have been close miked. In a live music situation one doesn't hear a band play with as many ears as there are instruments. And not at the same distance as the microphones are from the instruments.
    When one listens to an instrument from the same distance the microphone is, not only would you hear the instrument louder but you will also hear more dynamics then if you'd listen to the instrument from a normal distance.
    Listening (or miking) from a distance is applying some sort of compression.

-Digital compressors can imitate analog compressors. But digital compressors can do much more than analog compressors. Digital compressors can adapt the compression rate much faster than their analog counterparts.
    Used as plugins, some digital compressors can "look ahead" and already adapt themselves to the signal that is going to pass through them before the signal actually arrives.
    Because digital compressors can react much faster they allow for a much hotter mix.

20. ajuk

ajuk Forum Resident

Oh yeah some compression is defiantly needed, it would be silly to have one single loud point 2 samples long bringing the overall volume down by 3db.

21. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member Thread Starter

Just to bring this thread back to where I started it.

As our host pointed out above, some compression is appropriate to create a "perfect recording".

What most of us on this forum deplore is the EXCESSIVE compression which is applied - ala the loudness war.

And what I asked at the start is when is this EXCESSIVE compression applied, and do the musicians ever very closely listen to the brick-walled result in one long sitting at fairly loud volume.

So lets all agree that some compression has always been appropriate.

What I am saddened to learn is that there are now cases where the EXCESSIVE compression is applied at such an early stage that there is no master-tape with decent sound quality.

22. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

After the recent REM Accelerate album came out, a member posted the below thread. In that case, I'm wondering (from people who do this for a living) if the excessive compression is in the mix not the mastering, and if the excessive compression was applied at too early a stage to be able to remix/remaster a better sounding record.

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=144917

23. raunchy

raunchy New Member

Exactly what Steve said. The proper, and i stress PROPER use of analog or digital compression will greatly enhance a mix. But the thing is, people intending to maximize loudness just brickwall it and there you go. Compression isnt as evil as you may think, at least in the right hands.

McLover likes this.
  24. For The Love

For The Love Active Member

I guess that we should just be happy that mastering is being done so the music will sound great on our ipods.
    It takes a lot of compression to make sure that those dynamics will be incredible for those little earbuds.

25. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Does "Magic" sound good on an Ipod? Just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.