Original CD Pressings to Avoid

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

After hearing a few disappointing original pressings today: Boz Scaggs's "Silk Degrees" and Bruce Hornsby's "The Way it is," I thought that I would ask if there are any artists/CDs that I should avoid when out hunting for Used CDs.

Thanks in advance,
    George

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Phil Colilns Face Value
    before Barry mastered it

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The remaster of John Fogerty Centerfield beats the original U.S. issues. The caveat is that the original West German target has "Zanz Kant Danz". Another point is that the original European issue on Bellaphon is very good. Still, the remaster is very good.

I also prefer the remaster of Don McLean American Pie to the original issue.

4. George P

Thanks. :)

Maybe we should also post the catalog number for the masterings that are preferred?

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

In the case of Face Value, the catalog number did not change. We need matrix code information.

6. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Where can one find this for this title?

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Way It Is hasn't been remastered.

8. Let's see...the original pressings (and current) for all of Badfinger's Apple albums sound pretty bad with overbearing No Noise and a sucky midrange. Steve made them sound as good as the best vinyl versions (better actually) that I had.

All of The Church catalog from downunder sounded pretty bad in its first CD incarnation. I felt that Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch improved it (even if they messed up on creating an individual track for one tune on "Hey Day").

I realize that there are folks who love the first issues of Billy Joel's catalog but I thought they sounded thin and couldn't come close to the vinyl versions.

The UK first CDs for Roxy Music's "Country Life" and "Siren" were screwed up although the first album sounded decent (but not great). In fact, anything from EG on CD sounded pretty poor to me.

9. George P

...some things will never change.

:D

10. George P

It is printed near the center of the CD in a circular pattern. In order to read it, you need to flip the CD over.

Nice avatar, BTW. :)

11. street legal

street legal Senior Member

The original U.S. Chrysalis pressings of Ten Years After's "Sssh" & "Cricklewood Green" are dreadful, absolutely horrible. If anything honestly sounds like 4th or 5th generation tapes were used, these are them, for sure.
    I don't think there's any information over 10kHz on theses CD's.

I never really realized just *how* bad these were until I finally found a copy of the MFSL 2-fer of these titles at a reasonable price. I still say that the purchase of this MFSL title has been THE single greatest sonic upgrade I have ever made in my CD collection, & this includes (no offense, Steve) all of the Hoffman mastered CD's in my collection, of which I probably own about 35 or 40. And it's not because the MFSL is *that* utterly fantastic, but because the original CD's were so utterly terrible. For quite a few of the CD's that Steve has remastered, there are sometimes at least a decent, listenable alternative out there, but the original CD's of these 2 Ten Years After albums are absolutely worthless once you hear how good they can sound. Two of their very best albums, too.

12. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Face Value will have -RE-1 in the code i think

13. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Possibly The Who: Live at Leeds. I listened to what I thought was an "early" pressing and the 1995 (14 tracks) cd. The later seemed to win out for me. This was also discussed in another thread, and I believe some seemd to enjoy this later issue also.

14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

The three cds I bought in my early cd buying days that made me want to go back to listening to cassettes, were all things must pass, the wall and the lamb lies down - all of which have subsequently had improved masterings thankfully.

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

John Denver's Greatest Hits. Bad source tapes many generations away from the masters. The Vic Anesini remaster is much, much better.

16. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

That is interesting to hear about Lamb. I have a remastered copy (Definitive Edition Remaster 82677-2), and almost grabbed an older pressing from the rack today to give it a listen, but already had plenty in my hands. Why is the remastered better in your opinion.

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

A lot of people here hate the remastered All Things Must Pass

18. Well it's not great but it's not as muddy sounding as the original. A pity they didn't get someone decent to remaster it.

19. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

the Shout Factory Marshall Tucker Band CD's are much better than the AJC versions...

20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

:thumbsup: I second that. :thumbsup:

21. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

First Canadian Living In The Past - Jethro Tull
    First USA/Canadian Aqualung - Jethro Tull

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love this CD so much I bought 2 copies! still have a sealed one! Fantastic...I could not believe the improvement either...I was floored!

23. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

First George and now Bogey. Who's next, Dr Henning? :)

24. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

The worst I've heard is a toss-up between Warner's "Chicago 16" and Warner's "Another Page" by Christopher Cross. Both CD's are really quiet.

Ed

25. George P

Oh, lordy. :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.