Essential Barry Diament masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vonwegen, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Colin,

While I cut some vinyl before I got to Atlantic in '78 and for a handful of private projects after that, I haven't mastered any vinyl since then.
    By '83 I was doing CD almost exclusively.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

2. stevef

stevef Senior Member

Barry... this may have been asked before but I want to know if you can specify which Eagles and Pete Townshend CDs you mastered?

Many thanks! :)
    Steve

3. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Great thread :)

Also add Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (TVT Records)

I guess all the early releases on TVT Records are done by Barry. I've heard 3 different TVT pressings and they all had Barry's signature sounding. These CDs are pretty easy to find and I highly recommend them. Also it's NIN's best album, IMO :thumbsup:

I am not sure about Pretty Hate Machine's latter releases on Island Records. Also keep in mind the CD was remastered somewhere in 2002-2003, IIRC..

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Aww :sigh:

I think I should post an ad in the classifieds for this one. I'd really love a copy.

5. bdiament

Hi Steve,

For Townshend, "...Chinese Eyes", "White City", "Psychoderelict" and either "Scoop" or "Another Scoop"(?) or both.

For the Eagles, I don't recall exactly as I no longer have any of the CDs. I believe the first few albums on CD as well as one or two "Best of"s.
    Sorry I don't remember more specifically. I'd have to hear them again to know.

Best regards,
    Barry

6. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Barry,

Just wanted to check, did you master the Genesis Cd A Trick of the Tail? Love the mastering on this!

7. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

The album was never remastered, just reissued. Trent wanted to do a deluxe set, but ryko refussed to pay him.

8. oldschool

Could be, though I've see it listed as remastered. In any case, the TVT release is not that tought to find

9. bdiament

Hi btomarra,

While I was at Atlantic, I mastered CDs for a number of Genesis albums. I believe I might have done "Trick of The Tail" but just don't remember 100%.
    I remember doing "Duke", "Abacab", "Three Sides Live" and maybe a few others while I was at Atlantic.

After I left Atlantic, I created CD masters for most of the Genesis albums but I don't know that any of these were ever put into production. "Selling England..." and "Abacab" are two that stand out in my mind as having been particularly better than the original releases because the Atlantic CDs were done from EQ'd limited copies created during vinyl mastering.

Best regards,
    Barry

rochacrimson likes this.
  10. btomarra

Barry,

Thank you! I have your mastering of Duke. Best sounding Cd of that album I have heard!

11. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Thanks for the heads-up and for clearing that up. Barry is uncredited on this. An excellent reason to revisit the album.

Also, thanks for the info on the Benjamin Orr CD. I didn't realize this was a B.D. mastering until this thread. Checked the booklet and bingo. I've got what must one of the first pressings of this, the Japanese Victor for the US CD.

12. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Barry isn't credited for any of those CD's, but I've heard that he only did PHM.

13. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

How do you know that your Duke CD was mastered by Barry Diament?

14. btomarra

His quote:

While I was at Atlantic, I mastered CDs for a number of Genesis albums. I believe I might have done "Trick of The Tail" but just don't remember 100%.
    I remember doing "Duke", "Abacab", "Three Sides Live" and maybe a few others while I was at Atlantic.

I have pre-DE Atlantic pressing of Duke. I'm just basing it on what Barry said. Other than that, I can't be sure.

:)

15. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

John, my Men and Women disc does credit Barry. It's in real tiny print in the lower right hand corner of the last page of the booklet under the tracklisting. It's easy to miss. . .

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I can believe it. It's a great sounding disc. One of the few Atlantic Genesis CDs that betters the Virgin/Charisma CD.

17. btomarra

Thanks Jamie! I can believe it, too!

18. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

My favourites are his works for Tuff Gong and Swan Song
    Esp. great are the results on Bob Marley & The Wailers - Natty Dread + Survival and on Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin + In Through The Outdoor.

The spectacular Remasetring work on Natty Dread made me check out Barry Diament's and this very web-page.

Steve Hoffman's most stunning work so far (imho) :
    Van Halen - Van Halen

19. Onward

Onward Forum Resident

Really? Just recently picked up the reissue cd and it sounds pretty thin to my ears. Although that might very well be the original mix.

A guilty pleasure from me:

The Blues Brothers - Briefcase Full of Blues

telepicker97 likes this.
  20. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

I have the reissue and it sounds very heavy to me. Lots of dynamic range on this one :thumbsup:

21. Onward

Onward Forum Resident

Well, thin might not be the right word, as there absolutely is bass on this record. Still, there's a harshness to the midrange that I'm not very fond of...

22. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

Barry, unless I missed it on the list here, weren't there a few you mastered for Warner Special Products...

The Rascals and some Soul Classics

23. John

John Senior Member

Barry's AC/DC- Who Made Who is stunning, check out Ride On.

24. Hi Barry,

Here's a couple more CD's I'd be interested in knowing if you did the remastering?:

Forever Young - Alphaville

Afternoons In Utopia - Alphaville

25. oldschool

What I meant is that most TVT releases (I've heard 3 different) of PHM seem to have Barry's mastering.

He confirmed he did PHM when I asked him:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.