Hawkwind Space Ritual Reissue with DVD? Surround?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sjc, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjc

sjc New Member Thread Starter

I just got an email from a UK dealer that seems to suggest that the Hawkwind UA catalogue is once again being upgraded. Anyone know anything about this? I am intrigued by the possiblity of surround. The dvd has the titles listed twice with Stereo listed for the second go around (but nothing mentioned for the first set.)...... steve c

HAWKWIND: SPACE RITUAL (2CD Remastered+Bonus DVD - Stock # T757849) Normally 3CD £19.99 - Ltd Pre-Order Offer Price 3CD £17.99 Well, this is what you've all been waiting for - the remastering of the classic Hawkwind 70's back-catalogue, and it starts early in June 2007 with 'Space Ritual' and it's packed with Bonus Material… Please pre-order your copy now...

Track List - CD 1:
    01. Earth Calling (2007 Digital Remaster)
    02. Born To Go (2007 Digital Remaster)
    03. Down Through The Night (2007 Digital Remaster)
    04. The Awakening (2007 Digital Remaster)
    05. Lord Of Light (2007 Digital Remaster)
    06. The Black Corridor (2007 Digital Remaster)
    07. Space Is Deep (2007 Digital Remaster)
    08. Electronic No.1 (2007 Digital Remaster)
    09. Orgone Accumulator (2007 Digital Remaster)
    10. Upside Down (2007 Digital Remaster)
    11. 10 Seconds Of Forever (2007 Digital Remaster)
    12. Brainstorm (Complete Version)
    CD 2
    01. Seven By Seven (2007 Digital Remaster)
    02. Sonic Attack (2007 Digital Remaster)
    03. Time We Left This World Today (2007 Digital Remaster)
    04. Master Of The Universe (2007 Digital Remaster)
    05. Welcome To The Future (Complete Version)
    06. You Shouldn't Do That (2007 Version)
    07. Orgone Accumulator (2007 Digital Remaster - Alternative Version)
    08. Time We Left This World Today (2007 Digital Remaster - Alternative Version)
    09. You Shouldn't Do That (2007 Version - Alternative Version)
    DVD 3
    01. Earth Calling (DTS 96/24)
    02. Born To Go (DTS 96/24)
    03. Down Through The Night (DTS 96/24)
    04. The Awakening (DTS 96/24)
    05. Lord Of Light (DTS 96/24)
    06. The Black Corridor (DTS 96/24)
    07. Space Is Deep (DTS 96/24)
    08. Electronic No.1 (DTS 96/24)
    09. Orgone Accumulator (DTS 96/24)
    10. Upside Down (DTS 96/24)
    11. Seconds Of Forever (DTS 96/24)
    12. Brainstorm (DTS 96/24)
    13. Seven By Seven (DTS 96/24)
    14. Sonic Attack (DTS 96/24)
    15. Time We Left This World Today (DTS 96/24)
    16. Master Of The Universe (DTS 96/24)
    17. Welcome To The Future (DTS 96/24)
    18. You Shouldn't Do That (DTS 96/24)
    19. Earth Calling (24 bit/48kHz Stereo)
    20. Born To Go (24 bit/48kHz Stereo)
    21. Down Through The Night (24 bit/48kHz Stereo)
    22. The Awakening (24 bit/48kHz Stereo)
    23. Lord Of Light (24 bit/48kHz Stereo)
    24. The Black Corridor (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    25. Space Is Deep (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    26. Electronic No 1 (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    27. Orgone Accumulator (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    28. Upside Down (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    29. 10 Seconds Of Forever (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    30. Brainstorm (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    31. Seven By Seven (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    32. Sonic Attack (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    33. Time We Left This World Today (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    34. Master Of The Universe (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    35. Welcome To The Future (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)
    36. You Shouldn't Do That (24 bit/48 kHz Stereo)

2. Toka

Toka Active Member

Huh...interesting. I'm not gonna get TOO excited but I'd be curious to give it a listen.

3. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

how many versions of Space Ritual are out there already on CD, something like 5 or 6? Dave Brock has absolutely no concept of quality control. There's so much trash out there by so many record companies. Bring Me The Head of Yuri Gagarin comes to mind as probably the worst sounding live release ever.
    I've been a fan of Hawkwind since about 1979, but I don't take anything they've made since about 1982 seriously, too Spinal Tap like....

4. sjc

sjc New Member Thread Starter

The Hawkwind situation is a mess, but basically the UA Space Ritual has only been done once (I believe) on CD. Previous to this, it had been reissued in the US on CEMA or some other label... The problem is that there is a title called Space Ritual II or something like that that has a portion of the Space Ritual tracks in their original form (no overdubs) and this version has been issued and reissued till the cows come home. Given the rather fluid membership ranks of the band during that era, I don't think you can blame Dave Brock entirely.... steve c

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It's out and I got my copy today from Amazon. Deluxe packaging with a double sided digi-pak with a plastic sleeve.

Hope to get a chance later to listen to the new surround mix.

6. rcdupre

does it replicate the entire 6 part foldout of the original LP?

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

8. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I'd plunk down some ducats for a DVD with a lot of Stacia dancing...

Haven't there already been remasters/reissues of "In Search Of Space" and "Doremi Fasol Latido" with extra tracks? How will the sound of this band's records, which was never that careful to begin with, really benefit from more remastering go-rounds?

9. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Thanks, and let me be the first to say that I'm really excited!! :righton:

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I want this, but want to hear a comparison with previous editions 1st. The packaging and the 5.1 have almost sealed it, though.:)

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I can't tell you how happy I am this is my all time favorite album and band.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

12. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I loved the elaborate packaging on the EMI "remasters" from a few years ago.

The no-noised sound of the discs... not so much.

Hopefully these will be better masterings.

13. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

What I don't get is all these issues of Space Ritual (great album BTW) but we the fans have to suffer with boots (basically) of my fave album by them "Warrior On The Edge Of Time". Like what's up with that?

14. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Is that one not in print? I have a CD-R (ssshhhhh) of that which sounds about as good as my UK vinyl release that I picked up in 1986; likewise with "Hall Of The Mountain Grill". This band's provenance is pretty thorny -- once you're outside of the studio albums, here be monsters: 75 different releases of the same '70's and 80's live material ("The Text Of Festival"? "Ridicule"? Sheesh).

15. Plexihead

Well, supposedly it's in print from germany or sweden, or something like that, but from what I've learned it's basically a boot. Can't remember the "label's" name off hand.

I originally had the Dodo release (I'm pretty sure that was the label) that I bought back in the early ninties, I didn't think it sounded as good as the lp. Unfortunately I sold it though.

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Warrior was issued by Griffin about 12 years ago but it's been out of print for about 10 years. In the US it was released by Atco and UA in the UK, maybe this is making a reissue difficult. I'm not sure why the Virgin titles are also OOP.

Thanks to the original poster on the Space Ritual DVD set. Just ordered it from Amazon UK. I can't wait for the 5.1 disk!

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I've got a sort-of box set of Warrior on Griffin. Includes a Hawkwind comic book, IIRC.

18. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I can remember as a freshman in high school, "Quark, Strangeness and Charm" had just come out the year before......speakers tied to the ceiling, lying in bed with this LP cranked up, a little red eyed :cool: and just loving it! This band brings back some great old memories.........

19. rcdupre

I was bummed they didn't continue with the re-masters after "Hall" to include my other fave H-wind LP "Warriors", although I have that Griffin version but this CD could use the deluxe treatment the 1st 4 studio LPs got....and then on to "Astounding Sounds" as well!

20. Plexihead

Same here! I was still holding out hope years after the fact to no avail, piss me off!

I never got the Griffin releases, they had "screwed up" cover art if I remember correctly, that kind of put me off, although I've heard they sound pretty good.

21. SilentCries

SilentCries New Member

They should give Warriors a proper remastering before doing this.

22. Toka

Toka Active Member

Anyone else pick this one up? I'm still on the fence...the idea of having the whole concert front-to-back on one disc is the main selling point for me, though if the mastering is the same as the remaster from a few years ago, I probably will not get it.

23. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I'm unfamiliar with any Hawkwind CD that has ever received a "proper remastering." Keep in mind who owns the catalog.

But I wish they would issue it so the old ones would show up as people "upgraded." :laugh:

24. Toka

Toka Active Member

A little bird told me that the European "bootlegs" of Warriors, Quark, etc. are in fact the Griffin versions (the best on disc thus far) un/officially released via back channels...so, if you don't want to pay through the nose for the "real" thing, that is the next best bet...just don't expect all of the original performers to receive any money. :(

25. SilentCries

SilentCries New Member

It's about ****ing time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.