Led Zeppelin - Remasted CD Series, Question *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shokhead, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

I have the Led Zeppelin Remasters from 90,2 discs remastered by Jimmy Page on Atlantic. Is there better remastered greatest hits or single cd's?

2. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Re: Led Zeppelin

The original masters are appreciated by many for having a more natural and open sound.

As far as a greatest hits collection, your only choices all use the remastered tracks.

3. gordolindsay

gordolindsay Forum Resident

That way if you have all the unremastered albums and the remastered 'best of' you can compare and which ones you like better. :righton:

4. regal

regal Member

imo the crop circles remasters are the best option, they could be better.

5. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

This debate will go on forever. Some like the remasters from the mid 90's and some like the orig. cd's from the late 80's. If it sounds good to you on your system, that's what counts. It's all about the music, man...

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The only Zep comparisons I've done are for the first 2 albums and some of the tracks are extremely close EQ wise. On some tracks the remasters had a little more upper midrange that made the guitars pop out more (a good thing IMO). I remember that The Lemon Song sounded better on the reamaster. I do think that the differences of the 2 masterings have been exaggerated a little here. Again, I'm only talking about the first 2 albums..

7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You're right, the differences are not that big for the first couple of albums. I noticed a bigger difference on the later ones such as IV, Houses and PG. And, as I've said in a few posts, the absolute best way to hear Zeppelin is on the Classic Records vinyl re-issues. I have them all now except for Coda and the sound is stunning.

8. qualitymusicfan

qualitymusicfan New Member

To my ears the remasters sounds very good and the originals actually quite horrible.

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You should try an A-B comparison between the original House of the Holy and the Remaster. That's an eye-opener.

10. qualitymusicfan

Oh, I allready have, that's partly the reason for my conclusion (alltough I do not approve such tests, there are better ways).
    But thanks for the tip.:righton:

11. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

It's interesting that almost every post I can find by you since you've come here seems to indicate this same thing. If I didn't know better, I'd think you had nothing better to do than drop into threads and claim that remasters were better than non-remasters across the board.

Surely, no one could be this bored, so I will follow your future posts with interest! :wave:

12. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I believe if you go back review the other threads on this subject (there are many!), you will find that most forum members prefer the originals over the remasters.

13. qualitymusicfan

I find that post rather offensive and hope that was just a one-time-thing and forgett about it. But please stick to the subject in the future, it's way more constructive then going personal, IMO.
    If you didn't mean to be offensive, simply forgett what I said, please.
    I'm glad that you find my posts interesting, though. Cheers.

14. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Hi qualitymusicfan :wave:

Can you fill out your profile so we know what kind of system you use for listening? That's always really helpful in the these kinds of discussions.

Thanks! :) :wave:

15. qualitymusicfan

Ok, I'll do that in time:righton:

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Thanks man! :wave:

17. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

At first listen, the remasters might sound better because they sound more cleaner and bright, but after awhile, you will have a grinding headache. The original CD's have that nice warm sound to them.

18. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

I find the unremastered cd's more natural, more analogue, warmer etc..........however they lack resolution and might sound muddy, it has been here explained that not:goodie: original master tapes were used for these so this might be reason for it, anyway depending on your system you'll prefer one or another........besides remastered are slightly compressed ( not to the levels we are used to these days......) and that always makes things sound more harsh....

in the end it's a question of personal preferences and equipment..........we have to learn to be more respectful with other people's tastes and opinions, ... so take it easy please!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. qualitymusicfan

Thanks for that:righton:

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

How does how the west was won sound then?

21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The mix is great but like so many other modern releases, the life has been squashed right out of the redbook by brickwall filtering. What's worse, the DVD-Audio is not better but in fact worse. It's really too bad because the performance is tremendous.

22. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

How does the vinyl compare?

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Vinyl is definitely the best sounding Zeppelin available. I bought all the Classic Records re-issues and the difference is stunning! The drums especially sound incredible with no strain or compression on the cymbals or transients. The weird thing is that I've done simple needledrops of the vinyl LPs to regular homemade audio CDs and they sound far better than either the remasters or the original 80's CD releases.

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Sorry, I meant specifically How The West Was Won.

I have plenty of LZ vinyl... 9 time out of 10, that's what I listen to when I want to hear them. For CD, I'm an unremastered man. :D I used to have the remasters, but one listen to HOTH and I realized how much better the older ones sound.

25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Ah ok. I've never heard How the West Was Won on vinyl. Is it even available? If so, sign me up!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.