Best cd-r blanks for audio cd recorder

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TimB, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me! Thread Starter

I have 2 audio cd recorders. One is a Philips CDR950 the other is a Sony CDW-10. Both need to use the audio cd-r blanks. What are considered among the best out there?

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I've been using Fuji All-Purpose CDR's for nearly five years with no problems. I get the 50 pack spindles for about $14 through the wholesale club.

3. When I first bought it a bunch of years back, my Pioneer 509 made a whole bunch of coasters with Memorex discs. I then contacted Pioneer to ask their suggestion, and the tech suggested I use TDK. I have done so ever since, and have quit making coasters.

Of course, YMMV.

Brian

4. Do a search on CD-Rs. There have been threads on this. Good luck.

5. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

6. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

I just bought a package of Maxell's Audio Cd-r 's,
    the package says "Made In Japan", so I think
    these are T-Y's.

This set was the five different color labels type,
    but the strange thing about this one is that
    the Green disc's turned out to be DVD-R's.

7. Bass

Bass Forum Resident

I like TDK's too. No coasters with Plextor drives.

8. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

On my MarantzPro CDR631, which is made to take data or aaudio Cd-R's, Memorex data discs always work. Most TDK's and maxell's do, as well. But even within a 50pk batch, there are a few that prompt a "OPC Error" or "USE AUDIO CD" message

9. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

When I had the Pioneer 509, I read some where where you got trick the player into accepting cheap CD-R's. But the Marantz has defeatable SCMS, which allows me to copySMCS-encoded discs

10. Interesting...I never heard that. Since I do not burn all that many CD's, I guess its not that big a financial burden to buy the Music Only discs.

Brian

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

On Philips and other consumer CD-R recorders, use Fuji All Purpose, Maxell Music and Music Pro (Music Pro are Taiyo Yuden made as are some Maxell Music) and Sony CD-R Audio discs. The present Memorex Music CD-R doesn't work reliably in a Philips! If you can swing it, look at getting a Professional standalone as you can use most any media you like. A Tascam will set you back $500 and they are reliable, good sounding, and not finicky about media used. Marantz units are very finicky about media used. They mainly like Verbatim, Apogee, Taiyo Yuden, MAM-A or MAM-E, Quantegy, and other high end pro blank discs. An Alesis Masterlink is a super choice too.

12. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

Is the Alesis Masterlink finicky? And is the CD24 feature worth having to buy the unit if I mainly just make 44.1khz/16-bit CD-R's?

With the tascam RA-1000, it will only make red book CD's on CD-R's.

In "Mix" magazine I saw an ad for the HHR burner. Is that a good choice?

I want AES/EBU inputs, like the Marantz 631 has.

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

The Alesis Masterlink can also do Hi-Res CD-R transfers too. They haven't been finicky to work with on media used. The newer HHb recorders aren't recommended and the brand has gone downhill. Tascams are nice dependable machines which will work with almost any media out there. At work, we have 28 Tascam CD-R recorders and they just keep on recording. Many of these replaced finicky Marantzes, HHbs, and Denon recorders. We use lots of the CD-RW 750s (discontinued) and the new CD-RW 900 machines. We use these for recording satellite feeds, airchecking, needledropping, tape transfers, client copies, etc. They replaced our fleet of aging and newish DAT recorders! The CD24 feature on the Alesis is worth having even if the final disc you do is redbook. It does improve sound.

14. Here's who are currently the main suppliers for the mass market brands (Nov 2006):

CD-R
    Maxell: Japan: T-Y, Taiwan: Prodisc, Taiwan: Ritek
    TDK:Taiwan:CMC Magnetics; TDK stopped making their own this year in Luxembourg
    Sony:Taiwan:Lead Data, Japan:T-Y, Austria: Sony DADC
    Memorex/Imation:India:Moser Baer
    Fujifilm:India:Moser Baer, Taiwan: CMC Magnetics, Malyasia: Daxon, Japan:T-Y
    JVC-Victor:Taiwan: Ritek, Japan:T-Y
    HP:Taiwan: CMC Magnetics
    Verbatim/Mitsubishi: Singapore:makes their own, uses a variety of suppliers for cheaper grades: Ritek, CMC, Moser Boer India
    Mitsui: makes for pro-use brands in USA and Europe (MAM-A, MAM-E)

DVD-Rs
    similar suppliers for both DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs
    Maxell (part of Hitachi) also makes DVD-Rs & DVD+Rs themselves in Japan
    Matsushita (Panasonic) also makes DVD-Rs themselves in Japan and uses T-Y (-R) and Ricoh (+R)
    Ricoh sold its DVD+Rs equipment from Japan to Ritek Taiwan for a variety of brands - so RichoJpn codes are really Ritek
    JVC-Victor has been using suppliers from China and Malaysia that are unknown in addition to their others.

These companies often use other contractors for spot fills when demand is strong.

15. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

16. The CD-R's which use blue cyanine dye (which actually looks greenish and not really blue) are generally considered the easiest to read and esiest to write to (because of their tolerance for a greater spectrum of laser frequencies used by different CD-R hardware manufacturers) and have the greatest longevity (although this point is subject to heated debate). Taiyo-Yuden discs use blue cyanine dye, as do others.

Some Verbatem discs use a dye they call Ezo or Azo (IIRC) which is a deep blue color. I am not sure if these are good discs as I have never used them before.

EDIT: Mitsui discs use Phthalocyanine dye, which is a gold colored dye that Mitsui (among others) claims has a greater longevity than cyanine dye.

17. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Actually, this is partially correct, as far as Fujifilm, Sony and Memorex/Imation CD-Rs are concerned. I have not seen Made In Austria Sony CD-Rs at all around here in the past few years. Instead, I have seen:

Fujifilm:Taiwan:prodisc, Malaysia: Daxon, Japan:T-Y
    Sony:Taiwan:Lead Data, Malaysia: Daxon, India:Moser Baer, Japan:T-Y (Music CD-R only)
    Memorex/Imation:Taiwan:CMC Magnetics, Taiwan:prodisc, Taiwan:Ritek, India:Moser Baer (Imation only), Malaysia:unknown (Imation only)

And Sony DVD-Rs can come from Taiwan: Daxon (using Sony codes), Japan:Sony Disc Manufacturing and/or Japan:T-Y.

18. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

By the way, although the codes are different, Imation's Made in Malaysia CD-R's are also made by Daxon. It's just that the Sony-branded Taiwan:Lead Data and Malaysia: Daxon media use Sony codes. Imation's Daxon-made media use Daxon codes.

Also, both Imation and Memorex have recently switched their main Taiwanese suppliers from CMC to Ritek (while retaining Prodisc as their secondary Taiwanese source). And after the Memorex-Imation merger, Imation has apparently ceased buying media from Moser Baer (though some older Imation-branded stock made by Moser Baer is still on store shelves).

19. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

What difference does it matter, really. I use GQ (Great Quality) that I got for $9 a box, and they work beautifully.

20. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

I've had good success with Fuji and Maxell. The best coasters? GQ. :thumbsdn:

21. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Like I said, they (GQ) work beautifully.

22. A lot, because unlike cassettes, which sounded better or worse that another brand or formulation, they worked! Some brands had bad mechanisms or jammed over time (Memorex!), or dropped out, but the top brands (Maxell, TDK, Denon, etc.) usually worked.

CD-Rs are a crap shoot. Some don't burn right. Some fade away. Some are very inconsistent through a package. DVD-Rs are the same unfortunately.

The ones that are good are very good, but there are many that are just garbage. And it keeps changing as suppliers and technology changes.

23. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I use Maxell Music Pro CD-R's because of their triple-layers of protection. I haven't had any complaints on them-they work super.:love: The only ones I personally have had trouble with is Memorex's.For some strange reason,I keep getting spots where the the CD-R audibly "Spits" in places where it shouldn't! Does anyone else get this as well? Michael Boyce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.