Dwight Twilley Band "Looking For The Magic" video with Petty, Phil, Bill, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

2. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Don't know if those videos are included, but Twilley sells quite a few video tapes on his website. I bought the SXSW performance a while ago from him (I was front row center at this show!).

http://dwighttwilley.com/site/47moons/home.shtml

Steve

3. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Killer video. How about Tom Petty on bass!

I bet the memories you have Steve with Dwight must be something.

Especially when you worked together in putting together the "Lost Twilley Album". That was a Holy Grail album if their ever was one.

Rick A.

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Wow! One of my favorite DT songs.

Steve - sorry to change the subject but is it documented anywhere about how you came to work with him? I guess I'm assuming you worked with him outside of the remasters since you compiled The Great Lost...

5. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

This was shown on the "Wacko" TV show--there are at least two other songs as I have it on Beta.

Mike

6. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Looks like there are two "Unknown Comics" in the audience.

7. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

There's only three Dwight Twilley Band TV appearances. One seems to survive only in a copy Dwight has in an obsolete tape format that he hasn't transferred -- American Bandstand (July 1975, "I'm On Fire" and "Shark in the Dark"). The masters were accidentally bulk erased when an employee of the network was bulk erasing a game show.

The other is The W.A.C.K.O. show, which was mimed with Dwight, Phil Seymour, Bill Pitcock IV, and Tom Petty on bass. It was a Saturday morning kids show, and they taped 4 songs which aired on separate back to back Saturdays in Sept./Oct. 1977. The songs were the aforementioned "Looking For the Magic," "That I Remember," "Twilley Don't Mind," and "Chance To Get Away."

The third show was taped for an episode of Don Kirschner's Rock Concert on April 10, 1978 (IIRC) that also featured Kansas, The Sylvers, and The Sex Pistols (in the best quality from the master source you've ever seen of the Dallas Longhorn Ballroom gig from the Warner Brothers archives -- vastly better than any 'legal' release of that film). I believe it wasn't aired bec. WBR pulled the plug on running the Pistols footage. The DTB segment was "Twilley Don't Mind," "Trying to Get Away" (both Seymour lead vocals) and two songs sung by Dwight (which may not still exist, all we have is the first 60" from 3/4" of the show, not the remaining 30" which was on a different tape). It sounds when the tape cuts off like the next song was "TV," and (best of Dwight's memory) either "I'm On Fire" or "Looking For the Magic."

The other clip listed above is the Rockabilly's North show, taped in Houston, TX, for what may have been the first ever MTV live concert, in the summer of 1982. Dwight has a master of this, and hopes to put it out some day. Or possibly the audio, for which he also has master tapes. One song from this, "Money," was used on the 2006 Twilley/Scuba Divers reissue (why not the single b-side of Money I don't know, because I haven't remembered to ask Dwight -- my guess is he prefers the live version).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.