Shameless Self-Promotion: My Interview with Stricken Poco Drummer George Grantham

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

Recently, Debbie and George Grantham were kind enough to allow me to interview them about how they are doing. George suffered a stroke on stage, playing with Poco in Springfield, Massachusetts just over two years ago.

George Grantham Interview
    August 2006

By Mark T. Gould

Like so many other fans, original Poco drummer George Grantham will sometimes sing a favorite Poco song to get him through an arduous day.

“I like to sing when I’m in the car, and it’s usually ‘Calico Lady,’ the one Poco song that I sang lead on,” Grantham said in a recent interview. “It just feels good to sing it again.”

Not long ago, being able to ride in a car and sing may have seemed all but impossible for Grantham, who was felled by an on-stage stroke that paralyzed his left side near the beginning of a jam-packed, free outdoor Poco concert in Springfield, Massachusetts two years ago this month. Yet, talking about the progress he’s made, Grantham sounded strong, upbeat and positive in a recent interview, alongside his wife, Debbie.

“I’m doing OK, I’m getting better, and that’s what’s important,” the 59-year-old Grantham said.

Grantham said he has absolutely no recollection of the events of that day in Springfield, noting, “I don’t even remember being up there (in Springfield) or anything. Maybe it’s good that I don’t.”

The drummer was stricken on stage, before a huge audience that had turned out for the legendary country rock band, at the beginning of “Call It Love,” the second song of the night.

“We were playing the intro to the song, and there’s this part where George comes in, and he missed the count, at least with his left hand,” remembered Poco founding member Rusty Young, who has known Grantham since their childhood days in Colorado. “I turned around to see what was going on. It was very scary, but it was also amazing, because he was still playing the high hat (cymbal) in time, with his right hand. Being the trooper he is, George said ‘I’m OK, keeping going,’ but I saw his left arm hanging down, and a confused look on his face, and I stopped the song and called out for a doctor.”

After Grantham was treated on stage and removed by ambulance to a local hospital, Young and the rest of the band continued with an acoustic performance for the large crowd, after which they rushed to the hospital.

“We didn’t know what to think at the time, because it didn’t look good,” Young remembered. “I think it’s George’s strength that’s helped him get better.”

And, he certainly has gotten better. According to Debbie Grantham, George was totally disabled after the stroke, unable to physically do anything.

“Now, he does things like picking out his clothes, dressing himself, picking out food he wants to eat, the improvement has been something,” she said. “All of those things have come back to him. He’s really progressed a lot.”

“It’s his short term memory that is affected the most,” she added. “Sometimes, he can remember things, and sometimes he has some trouble. But, that’s getting better, too.”

‘It feels so good to be able to do those things,” George Grantham said.

Currently, George Grantham attends an adult day program, while Debbie works. At the end of the day, she picks him up and they spend their evenings and weekends together.

The Poco band members, Paul Cotton, Jack Sundrud and current drummer George Lawrence, in addition to Young, visit with Grantham from time to time, an experience, seeing his old friends, that Grantham said can make his day.

“It is just so special to see them,” he said. “I wish they were here now.”

Both Debbie and George Grantham expressed appreciation and thanks for the donations, sales, auctions, prayers and good will from Poco family, friends and fans.

“I thank everyone so much for their support and concern, it’s just wonderful,” George Grantham said.

“The donations, the auctions, the sales, everything has helped so much, we are so grateful,” said Debbie Grantham, adding that the cost of George’s day program, which she said is not covered by insurance, approaches $1,000 a month.

“Having him alive is so much more important than anything else,” Debbie Grantham said. “I’m so grateful, because it certainly could have been much, much worse.”

And, despite all of the improvement and progress he’s made, George Grantham still has one definite goal in mind.

“I know it’s going to take awhile,” he said. “But I miss drumming, and I want to get back out there as soon as I can.

“It’s no way nearly as important as my health, getting well and getting better,” he said, “but I really want to play again.”

Donations may be made to the George Grantham Benefit Fund, Account #1000050138253, Suntrust Bank, 1026 17th Avenue South, Nashville, TN, 37212. In addition, details on sales of Poco silver pins and an auction of Poco-related memorabilia, with proceeds going to the Fund, are available on the Poco web site at www.poconut.com.

2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Thanks for sharing that with us.
    I was aware of his health problems...hope things go better for him.

Dan

3. 905

905 Senior Member

Thanks for the update. Poco is one of my favorite bands, I enjoy listening to his drumming on all their albums.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Great interview and thank you for sharing that :)

I remember hearing about his stroke right after it happened. I've been a fan of Poco since I was 5. And to think that one of the best singing drummers out there might not be able to do so anymore was very sad. I hope he'll be bale to get back behind the drums someday. And George always was great with his drumming and harmonies at the same time.

5. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Great interview and it's also great that George is remembered.

I wish him all the best in his fight to recover from his illness.

Godspeed.

6. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Very nice to read that piece. As we grow older, we, of this generation, will hear stories similar to this more often. I did'nt closely follow the band Poco, I was aware of the excellent musicianship of the members. One of the most haunting drum "riffs" I remember hearing, was by Poco. I don't even know the song name, but, it is... Starts with just the drums (Bass drum, then just the snare...Back to Bass drum, etc) Ba, Ba, Chh, Chh, Chh... Ba.. Ba,.. Chh... Ba, Chh.....(repeat) Ba, Ba, Chh, Chh, Chh, etc. It think the ride cymbal is keeping quarter notes along with it... It repeats a few times, then the bass starts along.. Ba da da da ba.. da de da da.... A memorable part of music that ran into my head many times during the 1970's.. and I often tried to reproduce it on the drums myself. It's a simple riff, but very effecting. Anyone know this? A great example of simple parts played well, being great to hear. Sorry this fine drummer is out of commission, I hope he gets back on the stool soon.. R.E.

7. luckyman

luckyman Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing that. I always loved Poco, but it wasn't till a few months
    ago that I picked up a bunch of their albums at the used record store. Now
    they are in heavy rotation.

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I am guessing the song is You Better Think Twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.