1998 Beatles Toshiba/EMI CDs: Where Were the Actual Discs Made?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SVL, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVL

SVL Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have just received several JPN Beatles CDs from an eBay seller, and both Revolver (TOCP 51114) and Sgt Pepper's (TOCP 51118) appear to have had the artwork made in Japan (at least that is what is stated on the booklets), but the actual CDs have different cat #s (CDP 7 46441 2 for revolver, and CDP 7 46442 2 for Sgt Pepper's) and have "Manufactured by Capitol Records Inc. Made in USA" on them.

Is that normal?;)

2. SVL

Come on, we all know this place has the highest concentration of Beatles experts outside of Abbey Road:)

Anyone?:)

3. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Ok I've got to ask this one question first. On the outside of the jewel cases did they have that strip of paper called an OBI with them???

4. SVL

No, they did not, at least the way I received them here. There is, however, writing in Japanese on the outer slipcase, booklet and traycard of the SGT CD, and on the booklet and traycard of the Revolver disc.

5. Lazy0ne

Lazy0ne Forum Resident

6. SVL

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Japanese Magical Mystery Tour CD I'm currently selling on eBay is one of that TOCP-511XX series. It was released in 1998. The details on the CD: CDP 7 48062 2 / TOCP-51124, "Mfd. by Toshiba-EMI Ltd. in Japan"; matrix: TOCP-51124 2.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The discs were switched. You have U.S. discs (U.S. releases) with Japanese inserts (Japanese releases). The discs should also have the TOCP catalog numbers. I would send the discs back for a full refund.

9. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

And take care - there are very well-made Russian (?) bootlegs around (at Ebay too). I see them often in used shops here in Germany. They have the Japanese TOCP cataloge numbers on CD and artwork, and a "Made in Japan by EMI-Toshiba". The booklet has lyrics, but there isn't a single word written in Japanese.

Martin

10. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

That explains my "Japanese" copy. The track card has a close up of the Abbey Road sign bricks. I was wondering why the artworked seemed off. The lyric book has early 60s photos of the band instead of 1969 photos. The sound on the CD is exactly like the US copy.

11. SVL

Thanks everyone for your input. I will probably not be sending the CDs back (too much of a hassle) -- also since I got the true JPN For Sale CD (mono) in the same bunch, and it sort of sweetens the whole deal;)

12. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Keith has said what I didn't really want to, which is what I thought was the deal that someone swithed the discs out. Although for sure having the OBI's would have totally lead me to believe that th TOCP catalog numbers should also be on each of your discs too!

Do what Keith says, you really didn't get what you expected to get in this case. So send them back, unless the person has the real TOCP discs and is willing to send them to you. Good Luck as I hope all works out well for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.