Japan LP Abbey Road - any good?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bernd_hayo, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bernd_hayo

bernd_hayo Member Thread Starter

Hi folks, does anybody know whether THE BEATLES - Abbey Road LP (EMI EALF-97001), made in Japan from the Pro-Use series is recommendable? Better or worse than the MFSL LP?
    Thanks,
    Bernd

2. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Any good? Are you joking, Bernd? I have a needle-drop (Mirror Spock) and to me it's the best sounding Abbey Road even beating the Black Triangle Toshiba CD!

This LP should sound great!

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The Pro-use series is very good. Definitely preferable to the MFSL, IMHO. However I do prefer the original UK Apple to pro-use series LP, but I'm sure there are those that find the pro-use series better than the 1st issue UK.

If you do a search, you'll find plenty of discussion about the pro-use series pressing of Abbey Road.

4. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Bernd,
    Yes it's one of the finest IMHO. Although the Japan EAS on Apple are also very good on vinyl.
    I have the Mirror Spock PRO USE needledrop also on CD and it sounds great.
    Although once I purchased and heard the 1983 Toshiba/Odeon Black Triangle CD disc from Japan myself and many here will agree mostly that it's the one to look for and to own for the best on CD. Keep checking Ebay for one or other auction sites. Be careful as I've seen the Toshiba Black Triangle go for as high as $500 bucks, which of course is nuts.
    Usually it will fetch quite a bit more if it still has an OBI on it. I think it's cool but face it, ya can't play that little piece of paper. So you can still find one without an OBI and you might get it on the cheap.
    I actually got mine for $26 bucks because the seller on ebay didn't list it as the Japan Black Triangle he only had it listed as Abbey Road. So I click on his link only to find that in his description and by the photos he had of it that it was the real deal. Talk about getting lucky huh. My good pal, and fellow forum member still likes to break my chops on what a beating I gave this poor guy! HA!!!
    Then again if it's vinyl you are looking for the PRO USE is very highly regarded. Though I still say that a Japan EAS Apple series LP is also just as sweet and may cost you less.

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have the Pro-Use, a mid-seventies UK, several MOFI's and the UK Green Vinyl. The Pro-use is very detailed with excellent dynamic range. The mid-seventies by comparison is warmer sounding but lacks the resolution. The MOFI are almost a combination of the UK and Pro-Use but without excelling in either area. I never played the Green so no comment on it. BTW the Pro-Use Darkside is equally as good as Abbey Road.

6. I played the MoFi vinyl Abbey Road at work today, I actually prefer it to the Triangle cd, but it could be that no cd player is up to test against the Sumiko cartridge and Bellari preamp combination.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. bernd_hayo

bernd_hayo Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments! So I gather the Pro-Use pressing is the worthwhile and I will give it a try - if the price is not outrageous!
    Cheers,
    Bernd

8. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I would second that.

9. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Bernd, The definitive book on Japanese Beatles LP's is "The Beatles Japanese Record Guide" by Jason Anjoorian. If you are thinking of getting into these the book is essential. It was printed in 1994 so the prices are dated but they give you a relative starting point. For example I have the original Japanese Abbey Road AP-8815 released in October 69 with obi and lyric sheet in mint condition (in general I find that the Japanese take much better care of records than the other parts of the world). In black vinyl (which I have) it is worth twice what the EALF is and if I had the red vinyl AP version it would by worth five times the EALF version (assuming all are in the same condition). The EAS-80560 version released in June 76 is worh only half of what the EALF version is even though it was released two years earlier. Hope this helps.

dav-here and Marc Perman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.