Audio Technica 440MLa review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Nino-Hernes, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member Thread Starter

Hello Everyone!

About a month ago, there was a thread discussing the Audio Technica 440ML cartridge, and how it has been replaced with the 440MLa. Audio Technica simply stated that certain materials were no longer available, and that the dampening mechanism had been redesigned with a new material. Audio Technica also stated that the new materials would actually improve the cartridges performance.

I had a 440ML for a while, and it was too bright in my system. I then replaced it with a Shure V15VxMR which I have had for several years now. Since I can't get styli at reasonable prices any more, I decided to try out the new AT-440MLa.

On the outside, the 440MLa looks the same as the old 440ML, but boy does it ever sound different!! It is not nearly as bright as the 440ML. It is much flatter. Bass response is solid and clean with no muddiness. Midrange is very neutral, and the high end is extended with no signs of brightness. This cartridge is also very detailed, much more detailed than the original 440ML and the Shure. Dynamics are also superior to both the old 440ML and the Shure. The Shure tended to suppress dynamics a bit, but the 440MLa reproduces them clearly, without distortion. This is definatly the best budget cartridge! For $89 (US) it rocks!

AR-XB Turntable
    McIntosh C33 Preamplifier
    Eico HF-89 Amplifier (NOS GE 6SN7's, JJ EL-34L's, JJ 12AX7)
    AR-3 Speakers
    Kimber Hero Interconnects

2. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Joe, this is great news. Thanks for the review. The next time I replace the stylus on my 440ML, I might just buy this instead. I'd still like to try the AT150MLX though, out of curiosity.

3. Joe Nino-Hernes

Me too!

4. Darles Chickens

Darles Chickens New Member

Many thanks for your review! I was actually just about to start a thread asking if anyone had tried the new AT440MLa. Back in January when I accidently damaged my Grado cartridge I placed an order for a AT440ML from my dealer. I was told that they did not have any in stock and neither did the distributor so I had to wait for the new AT440MLa which I was informed was coming soon. I ended up waiting for a whole month until late February and early March and there was still no sign of the AT440MLa so I cancelled my order and bought a Sumiko Pearl cartridge instead. Too bad. I would have prefered the Audio Technica because of its MicroLine stylus.

Joe, can you tell abit about the tracking ability of the AT440MLa? How does it handle inner groves? Is it capable of playing back the last parts of an LP without producing any noticeable distortion?

5. Joe Nino-Hernes

On my table, it tracks the inner grooves perfectly. I used the Mobile Fidelity GeoDisc cartridge alignment tool. I found the best tracking force to be around 1.4 grams. I was impressed that it actually tracked the inner grooves better than the Shure!

6. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

This is indeed good news. I, too, was about to start a thread wondering if anyone had heard the new version yet. It's interesting to notice that the factory specs are quite different on the new revision vs. the former. I was wondering how this would play out sonically, and whether or not Audio Technica took a cue from sonic remarks toward the old version.

The old 440ML could track the hell out of anything. This is great if the new version retains that strength.

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Joe... just to clarify: when you say "the Shure," you are referring to the v15? If so, what do you like BETTER about the Shure than the AT cart?

8. Joe Nino-Hernes

It is indeed an excellent tracker.

I must also add that this cartridge sounds extremely refined. Most inexpensive cartridges tend to sound just that, cheap. They are either muddy, or bright and lacking detail. Not this one. It really sounds "expensive". It has what I like to call "layered depth". You don't simply hear the music, you hear into it. For instance, when listening to the RCA Living Stereo recording of Beethoven's Violin Concerto, Heifetz's violin solo is so natural. You can hear the complex harmonic structure created by his Stradivarius. You also hear the wonderful sound of Orchestra Hall (Chicago). You can hear the early reflections (RT60), and then the decay. Its really amazing. I just can't believe the level of refinement for a $89 cartridge. This level of refinement generally costs lots of money.

9. Joe Nino-Hernes

Yes, the V15VxMR. I also feel that this cartridge is superior to the M97xE.

This cartridge is more detailed than the Shure. It just reveals more. It also handles transients better. It does not get congested.

I can only imagine how good the AT-150MLX is! It is AT's flagship cartidge in the USA. It goes for around $299.

10. Joe Nino-Hernes

I should mention, my premp loads the cartridge as follows:

47k ohms with 65pf of capacitance.

If you have a phono stage with variable cartridge loading options, this would certainly be a good place to start!

11. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Does Audio-Technica recommend a capacitance of 100 to 200pF for the 440MLa like with the 440ML? If so, then when you include your cable's capacitance, you're right in the optimum range or close enough to it. That's great. I think many people overlook the importance of matching the cartridge to the phono stage.

12. Joe Nino-Hernes

They don't say. The specs only mention resistance.

13. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Joe, I'm just curious. Do they list on the packaging where the cartridge is manufactured? I live about 20 minutes from Audio-Technica and up until a few years ago they were making the cartridge and styli right here. I'm just curious as to where they import them from now, if so.

14. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Thanks for your review Joe!

I have been overhauling my system, and while I am primarily CD based, I want to play some vinyl too. My Thorens 126 is in good shape, but my Shure Type V is showing its age (1982 was a long time ago!).

I have gotten so many recommendations for $800 to $1500 carts, but at this point, that's just too much money for the amount I listen to vinyl.

This cart sounds like just the ticket to use to stick my toes (ears?) back into the vinyl market, and if I find myself enjoying more and more, then maybe (big maybe) pop for an expensive cart.

Or maybe check out the $299 AT.....

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That they flattened the response is very good news for me! If something happens to my Shure M97xE, I will invest in the is cart!

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've got an AT Studio Reference 8008 (same as the AT331LP). Linear contact stylus. Sadly no longer made. I had a friend help with a shoot out with the V15VxMR. The 8008 had a little more "sparkle", but it wasn't overly bright. I thought the Shure sounded a bit dull in comparison. You're saying the 440MLa has a bit more of that "sparkle"?

Any chance you could make some comparison clips? Or do you no longer have the other carts?

This is certainly promising.

17. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

About 6 months ago I purchased a 440ML cartridge, and I'm very pleased with it. It was a little bright at first listen, but now that it has had some use the sound has smoothed out dramatically, and it is a stellar tracker. I use it in my quad set up for playing CD-4 lp's and last night I was listening to Carly Simon's No Secrets and not once did my demodulator start breaking up as it did with previous cartridges. If the 440ML can track a CD-4 Lp so well it can track anything you can throw at it so long as it is properly installed (there is a 30khz-50khz carrier signal on the disc which works similarly to FM radio to provide Front-Rear separation.) I'm pleased to hear that the new model is even better.

Regarding the 331LP (or AT8008), I have a 331LP in my Technics TT which has a P-mount tonearm, and it tracks beautifully, has great channel balance, and isn't in the least bit bright although it does resolve musical nuances beautifully and produces a very good sound-stage. If you can find one NOS, grab it, it is the only P-mount cart I know of with a linear contact stylus, and styli should be still available (though I haven't checked in a year.)

18. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Does the new AT440 version maintain the great channel separation of its predecessor?

19. Rybeam

Rybeam New Member

I have been shopping a bit for a cartridge for an AR ES-1. I like everything I read and hear about the 440MLa except it's physical appearance. It looks cheap, something about the purple body makes it look like it comes on one of those all in one systems from Sam's Club. The whole cartridge screams plastic. The 120E with the copper tone body looks so much better. I know this should not matter, but refinishing the real walnut veneer on a nice looking table and then adding a cheap looking purple cartridge is hard to do.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Have you tried your 331LP for CD-4? I haven't, but it's a model that frequently comes up for being good to use with CD-4. Or so I've read, anyway.

And if you can find some extra styli, let me know! AT doesn't seem to make them anymore, and the only stuff I've seen online are "equivalent" models, which aren't linear contact. I should have bought half a dozen carts when I had the chance.

21. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Rybeam, The body for the 440MLa and the 120E are the same the only difference is the stylus and the color of the stylus holder.

22. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I keep meaning to, but I haven't done it yet for no other reason than I'll have to move our HT cabinet with the TV in it to get to the Phono connections. I'm very happy with the 440ML for CD-4 playback, and it would be pretty amazing if the 331LP was better. I did get a replacement from Garage-a-Records that was an authentic AT linear contact stylus for the 331, I guess I should have bought more.

23. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Thanks for the review Joe. :thumbsup:

I have a 440ML and I agree that it is on the bright side. I ended up switching to the Shure M97xE and while I like it's smoothness I have sibilance problems with the Shure that I never had with the AT440ML.

If the 440MLa tracks as good as the 440ML without the brightness than I'm definitely buying one. :agree:

Joe, do you have the 30th Anniversary Dark Side of the Moon? Does it play with sibilance?

24. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

While doing a search about this cart, I ran across this at the Garage-a-Records website:

They seem not to draw much of a distinction between the two carts.

25. hamburgerpimp

hamburgerpimp New Member

I've always had inner-groove distortion problems with the M97xE, and compared to other carts I've heard, it's not very musical either. Why so many people here fuss over it, I have no idea...

Anyway, the 440MLa sounds promising. Thanks for the review, Joe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.