How do you clean a CD player pick up lens?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry Naramore, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

Or should I say "What is the best way to clean it?"

Thanks!

BTW I did a search to no avail.

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I've seen divided opinions on the 'laser cleaning discs' that are available. A description will help .. these are special CDs with a brush, or pattern of brushes, attached. Mine has very thin fibers attached in a spiral pattern, and it's recommended for 20 or so uses only. You play the first track for instructions, and then through the second to clean.

Clearly this is a bit drastic. I've never noticed dust on my portable player's lens. I suspect it's much worse in a car player. Like vinyl, I don't put grubby discs in my player.

If you have a top loading player you could easily just use a light camel hair type brush. The mechanism is usually easily visible anyway when you remove the main cover in other players.

The lenses are plastic, IIRC, so any sort of solvent probably isn't a good idea.

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

You don't!

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sony dictate in their service manuals (I have service manuals for both my Sony SACD players) that the only way to clean the lens is with air.

5. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

Ive had my service guy show me hot to fray a q-tip and slightly clean the lens. Ive only done this on my stuff, and It worked for me. Ive had this one cd player since 1997, in smoky clubs lens gets cloudy.

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Air works when all there is is dust, but after a few years a film will often develop from humidity and/or impurities in the air, even if you never smoke or burn incense. I have found the only effective method is a cotton swab and alcohol. A good way to keep this need as far off as possible is to not leave your tray open.

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I've been using the Discwasher CDL2 for over 14 years with no problems. Wet system with brush.

8. I have a maxell CD lens cleaner CD with a brush that works well, but it is only for particles. Any film on there from smoke or dust, will need a solvent.

9. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

I always thought those lenses were made out of quartz. I heard that it was the only thing pure enough to allow the kind of precision needed to read optical discs.

10. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

If the dust brush doesn't do the trick, I use a shamie swab (no lint like cotton) and cleaning fluid specially designed for tape decks that doesn't eat the plastic or rubber so I figured it was safe for the plastic parts of the CD player.

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

delete

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Compressed air in a can is ideal for cleaning any lens with dust on it - the stuff is easily obtained from a camera shop.

I have come across worse cases and have used isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud (Q-tip?) ocassionally although only on cheapo equipment! I've never had a problem doing this but wouldn't dream of doing it on an expensive player......

Of course, the ultimate solution is to abandon CD players altogether. Get yourself a Squeezebox from Slim Devices and stream music in full resolution from your hard-drive - no player mechanics to worry about and the quantam leap in convenience is something you will wonder how you ever lived without!

[I'm writing this as I listen to the Disque Americ Beatles CDs on my Squeezebox having listened to about 10 different albums this morning without having had to get up once :cool:]

13. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I checked your profile and see you output the Squeezebox to the Elgar dCS DAC. How does the DAC on the Squeezebox sound by itself, if you have listened to it?

Not meaning to hijack this thread I have sometimes used a Maxell CD lens cleaner, does it work? I suppose it does but I never found much on the lens of my home unit while I am sure the car's could have been dirty.
    Unless the player is in an extreme environment, like an auto, I don't think cleaning would be needed. By the time that happens I would think the laser may need to be replaced anyway.

14. Raf

Raf Senior Member

:shake:

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Well, it's distinctly average. It's not really bad but it is not exceptionally good either. I'd certainly recommend a decent DAC to get the most out of it - I can't fault it as a "transport".

I only ever clean a lens when a player is playing up and nothing else seems to be the obvious cause. I have brought "dead" players back to life with a lens clean before (all my friends and family come to me with their broken gear so I've serviced quite a few players over the years).

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Meaning?

17. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Meaning, "I don't agree." That's usually why people shake their heads.

18. bluemt

bluemt Forum Resident

I revived a DVD/CD player this weekend by using a toothbrush and some water.

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

:yikes:

20. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Indeed. One assumes the level of grime mandated such an attack. I've seen some computers that really needed it, too...

21. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I just read a Goldmine article where Ken R. recommends cleaning records with compressed air through a narrow staw. Does this work well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.