Sumiko "Blackbird" any thoughts??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Eric B, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric B

Eric B Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am upgrading my phono cartridge (Clearaudio Aurum Beta S Wood) to a Sumiko "Blackbird"...any thoughts? Is this the right move for a under $1000 cartridge? I am on somewhat of a budget! I heard a friends Sumiko on a Linn and was pretty impressed...let me know....Thanks!

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm not sure how it compares to your current cartridge but it's a fantastic cartridge. I hear recently at length on a SME 10 table and was very impressed.

3. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

If you liked your Clearaudio, then you should hear the Virtuoso Wood S. I think it's a slightly more lush cartridge than the Sumiko. The Sumiko is fast and detailed.

4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I have a Sumiko Blackbird - ran it for about a year, up until last weekend - and honestly haven't been quite as impressed as some with it.

It's not terrible by any means but on my system it really has too much high end - not quite shrill but noticeably bright, especially after extended listening. Also it is not the greatest tracker in the world, at least not paired with a Nottingham Space Arm. Noticeable sibilance on many records and inner groove distortion problems. This after checking azimuth and trying every VTA setting possible. Nothing helped much.

I just switched over to a Shure V15VxMR and have to say that I think it shreds the Blackbird in almost every way. The only advantage to the Sumiko is a wonderful sense of air/openness - but there were enough other things that bothered me that I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone as of now. Could be system dependent of course, YMMV.

In the interest of full disclosure, many rave about the Blackbird, and I also thought it sounded wonderful in the dealer's showroom (on equipment very much like mine). So I've been somewhat concerned mine may simply have had some problem with it when shipped from the factory that is accounting for the issues. It could be my imagination but after dismounting the cartridge and taking a very close look, I do think the cantilever may be a hair offline, which of course could wreak havoc and cause some of the stuff I'm hearing. I will be taking it to my dealer now that it's dismounted, to have him look at it under his microscope to make sure that I'm not berating the cartridge unfairly. Will report back if it turns out there was some defect.

5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

An update: looked at the Blackbird under a microscope today with my local dealer...nothing wrong with it at all, cantilever straight, no crimps, stylus still attached as it's supposed to be, etc. So can't blame the poor performance on my rig on any defects.

I can only conclude that either I simply don't like the sound of it much now that I have the Shure V15VxMR to compare (initially I loved the Blackbird on my Spacedeck, but I was comparing it to my old Ortofon DJ cartridge on a Technics arm) and/or it's just not a good match for the unipivot Space Arm. Maybe I'm just a MM guy and never knew it!

6. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Tony, try a Koetsu Black :)

7. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Once you go Koetsu Black, you'll never go back! :righton:

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No. My opinion is that high output moving coils have never really cut the mustard.

9. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

I've owned a couple of different Sumiko Bluepoint carts. and I'm going to agree with Dr.J they seem impressive at first listen but when lived with they fatigue by being bright and sucked out in the bass and they don't seem to track all that well. I know I'm making kind of a generalization because I haven't owned a blackbird but I find cart. from same company have a "family" resemblence. Furthermore since you own a Clearaudio moving magnet I quite sure your not going to like the Sumiko. I found my musical nirvana with the AudioTechnica top line MM, I think you would be very happy with AT150MLX with it's gold plated boron cantilever, PCOCC coils, Microline stylus, metal body, tight fitting stylus, It lists for $500 available at www.audiocubes.com for $269 unbelievable trackability, great quality control, I think it shames many cartridges priced much higher.

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I agree with this summation. It's the same thing I heard with the Blackbird.

11. listentothemusic

listentothemusic New Member

What about the Dorian from Lyra?

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I asked Chad Stelly at Acoustic Sounds about the Lyra line. He said, "The Bargain in the Lyra line is the Argo i which in my opinion will run circles around the Helikon."

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Ah, hyperbole.

14. listentothemusic

listentothemusic New Member

While that might be the case, it's also $400 more than the Dorian, which is well under $1000...but maybe saving up an extra $200 for the Argo would be a better move.

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I'm just as confused. I talked to Chad about ordering a Helikon but he talked me out of it. He said the above quote and also pointed me towards the Benz Micro line.

I have no idea what I want. I wish there was a way to actually hear all these carts before we blow thousands on them.

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

YES! It's just a total crap shoot on some of these items. NO dealer around here carries anything like this level of cart. I like the idea of the new $700-ish carts, especially the Dorian, as a new price point for entry to the big times. An old Michael Fremer review said that the level at which cart performance really begins to take off is $1000. True or not, it's stuck in my brain.

17. Eric B

Thanks to everyone on this wonderful forum for the input...I will steer clear of the Blackbird and stay with a MM. Thanks!

18. Eric B

Over the years I have literally spent thousands on different carts....there is really no other way to really hear them unless they are on your system...at least most of my trade-ins have been good!

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Maybe we can start a thread where people post clips of different carts using a record we all have. That would be a cool thing.

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

What carts have you used?

21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Nice idea Jamie but even posting sound clips wouldn't really work...I find cart sound is also very arm and table dependent. I think you just have to experiment and figure out what general type of cartridge you like over time, with usual playing conditions on your own system. I now know that I will be avoiding high output MC types, and tend to like the sound of a good MM. Low output MC is now the only type I haven't really messed with, but have no desire to right now.

22. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Hi Tony, you may want to check out the new Clearaudio MM , the Maestro. But at $1000 its kinda steep for a MM. :wave:

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

You are all wrong. ;) The Shelter line is the real deal. :)

24. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

For what it's worth, i'm VERY pleased with my Sumiko Blackbird.

25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Hey there Ron - I've only had the Shure for a week! :) Not planning any changes for some time but will definitely keep the Koetsu and Clearaudio in mind for future experimentation.

Pete I suspect all the variability in opinions reflects differing systems and preferences, for sure! I'm sure the Blackbird would be a much better match in some systems than in my current one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.