Help! Forum consensus; what is the best sounding 6SN7 octal tube, old or new...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Was this ever decided?

RCA, Sylvania, Tung-Sol, GE or.........??

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi Steve,

Most love the Tung-Sol, Ken-Rad, and JAN RCA made from WW II. I use the JAN RCA WW II and love them. Superb tube life and consistent quality. Expensive! I have used and loved the Tung-Sol and Ken-Rad 6SN7 octals and was very happy.

3. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

The coin-base GE's that I have are really good. They sound much more alive than the ElectroHarmonix RCA reproductions that I tried, which tended to smear transients.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

These things are never decided, but the ranking from Dennis Boyle (Chimera Labs) seems to be aligned with what most observers say.

http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/6sn7sound.html

5. PakProtector

PakProtector New Member

Oh dear...another 'what's the best _____ tube' question....:)

I have listened to a lot of them, many different Sylvania, a few KenRad, Tung-Sol, RCA, GE...There is no 'BEST'. Only flavours and system interactions. Deciding which one I'd have to live with if I could only pick one is not going to help either, as I'd just build for that tube.
    cheers,
    Douglas

6. audio

audio New Member

A 6SN7 aficionado I know says that the Sylvania "tri-plates" aka "chrome domes" are smooth and sweet/best. Though they were made by a number of different manufacturers, you can spot them because of the flashing on top and the plate structure. The GTAs sound cleaner than the GTBs.

7. Jontario

Jontario Member

Steve, didn't you say once, that for your VAC Sig 70/70 you actually preferd the Chinese variety that VAC sells, or maybe you were refering to the Chinese 300B's?

I'm wondering because I have the same amp, and have been wanting to experiment.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Kevin Hayes told me that the VAC was voiced with those (Chinese firecracker) tubes. Stands to reason it would sound the best that way. When I rolled, nothing else sounded right to me..

9. Jontario

Jontario Member

Good to know Steve, thank you. :)

10. cwon

cwon Active Member

I haven't listened to Tung-Sols or RCAs, but I've heard GE GTAs and assorted Sylvanias. I was settled on the short Sylvania 6SN7W (chrome dome, black base), but I just switched to Raytheon 6SN7WGTs (brown base) because they sounded more balanced.

11. Allan Songer

Allan Songer New Member

It's been a few years since I ran gear that used them, but . . .

I was partial to the RCA VT-231 . . .

12. cwon

cwon Active Member

Did you ever decide which worked best?

13. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

FWIW, this is Dick Olsher's preference as well.

14. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Electro Harmonix 6sn7 gold pin gives me excellent result on my MFA preamp.

[​IMG]

15. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

1940s Sylvania VT-231 for me. Maybe a bit soft on top, but oh that midrange!

16. On a related note, do Telefunken 6SN7's actually exist? I have read that they do not, and all 6SN7's labelled telefunken are actually rebranded. If that is not the case, and Tele made them, how do the Tele's compare?

17. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

If they did they would likely have been designated using the Euro type number ECC32 rather than the EIA 6SN7. Mullard did make an ECC32, not sure about Tele.

-Aaron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.