Czech filmmaker Karel Zeman's "Baron Munchausen" & The Fabulous World Of Jules Verne"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Does anyone have DVD's of these two titles from the late 1950's that I could borrow? Or where I can get them, playable here?

Thanks much...

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

3. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

An English-dubbed version of Karel Zeman's Baron Prášil(b/k/a The Fabulous Baron Munchausen) was released on laserdisc by Image(Image Entertainment ID7294PO) under the awkward title The Original Fabulous Adventure of Baron Munchausen. The same dub was released on VHS by American Video, which is also OOP. The LD was available as late as 2000 from this laserdisc seller for $9.99, and they occasionally sell used copies. DVD-R rips of this laserdisc can be found on eBay, through BitTorrent sites, and other avenues of dubious legality. A used copy of the legit laserdisc shouldn't set you back very much, although they don't seem to pop up very often. As for why Image has yet to release the film on DVD, I can only guess they've since lost the rights to the film or there's some issue with finding adequate source materials.
    Vynález Zkázy(b/k/a The Fabulous World of Jules Verne) was released on VHS a few years ago by Englewood Entertainment. I don't know if they have any DVD plans for the title in the future. Perhaps the rights have reverted back to Warners, who released the film theatrically? Restored DVD editions of both these films - as well as Zeman's 1955 Journey to the Beginning of Time(Cesta do Praveku), one of the best dinosaur movies ever - are long overdue.

4. Steve Hoffman

Thank you.

5. protay5

protay5 Member

Just wanted to show my love for Karel Zeman. 1st saw the Verne film as a kid and some of those images went deep. Basically an adventure film, but some of the scenes are so weird and the design is so striking, it basically introduced me to surrealism. And to imaginative foreign movies -- it has a very Central European style.

Plus the sub & volcano etc are totally kewl! I was really disappointed when I saw Disney's 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, it didn't compare. I have a really bad VHS, I'll have to check the label, but the picture is about bootleg quality (I bought it used). Would *love* to see the other films, or a better print of the Verne movie.

Ross
    "all hands on deck, we've run afloat
    I heard the captain cry" -- Keith Reid

6. Steve Hoffman

Agreed on all counts. When I was a kid both of these movies really dug into my consciousness.

7. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

These are indeed unique-looking films, almost like being inside a moving diorama. Fascinating stuff.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.