BRIAN WILSON GOLD STAR LOST DEMO 45 BEACH BOYS ACETATE on Ebay

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by apesmu, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident Thread Starter

i also posted this over in everything Ebay:

Link

anyone know anything about this particular song? :help:

(Gorts, if you feel this should be removed from here, feel free - just wanted to drum up some conversation about this particular item here, as it is musical related):

2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Wow!

I don't have any info about the song, but I'd place money on the fact that it's gonna go for mucho dinero.

Anyone ever put a Gold Star Acetate Label scan up on Smug Mug?

3. macready

macready New Member

Very interesting. I want to hear it!

4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Intriguing. It's presumably some sort of demo that Brian cut at home (maybe with Bob Norberg - I know they did a few relatively fullly produced demos at the apartment they shared) and had pressed at Gold Star for distribution/demonstration for potential artists who might want to cover it. Never heard of the song, though. Sounds like, from the title, that it might have been written for a female singer(s).

I really hope whoever does buy this makes it available to Brian and/or Capitol records for official release somewhere down the road...

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

What he said. :righton:

6. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

A "collector" just posted a comment saying that in his 35 yrs. of BB collecting, he can indeed verify that that sucker is the real deal--complete with Brian's own handwriting.

I'm headed to the bank. I need some loan applications! :D :D

7. macready

macready New Member

Actually, I hope they make it available to Steve Hoffman.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

If this is some sort of acetate, it is the kind of thing that needs to be given to a professional like Steve Hoffman to be played once, or at most twice, to make the best possible analog and digital safety copies.

9. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Wow - did the guy put the link to sample the song up yet?

JEFF!

10. Carmantom

Carmantom Primo Audioholic

Excellent find for someone.

Go on Steve. You only live once. Think of it as another contribution to the world of music. :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

Tom

11. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Let's all pony up some cash and make a general "Forum Members" Purchase! Steve can act as a "safe deposit box" of sorts! :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

12. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I am not a BW hand writing expert, but it sure looked like his hand writing to me - especially the way he dotted the "i" in the word "Him" with a bubble and the way the "B" was written in B. Wilson.

13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Just so we can see what all the fuss was about long after the eBay auction ends, here are the photos of the acetate uploaded to the forum server...

Someone should be able to paint/recreate a ncie label scan for the SmugMug gallery from one of these.

Attached Files:

14. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets "pulled" by eBay. Brian's people are notorious for having eBay end auctions when they feel that an item being offered for sale infringes upon Brian's legal rights of ownership.

15. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The Honeys, perhaps?

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There are probably hundreds of acetates of Brian Wilson's noodling.

This Gold Star label is late so it's not like a long lost Beach Boys song.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

17. Carmantom

Carmantom Primo Audioholic

Glad you put in in perspective Steve. Sounds like every day stuff to you.

Tom

18. keoni

keoni Senior Member

according to bootlegzone.com, brian recorded a demo of a song titled "thank him" in 1963. the song was cowritten with bob norberg and can already be found on a bootleg.

http://www.bootlegzone.com/songxref.php?sid=34960&section=14

if i'm interpreting steve's comment correctly and if the info from bootlegzone.com is accurate, this has to be a different recording than what's already available on the black market. i suppose it could even be an entirely different song.

19. LeeDempsey

LeeDempsey Forum Resident

Steve, wasn't that Gold Star acetate label already in use by 1963? I have an acetate of the track to "Our Car Club" with different bkg vocals (no lead) entitled "Rabbit's Foot", and it bears the same Gold Star label. (By the way, AFM records confirm that the track was recorded at Gold Star instead of Brian's usual haunts at Western Recorders).

A tape of "Thank Him" appeared on the collector's circuit about 2 years ago. It has the same ambience as the "In My Room" demo on DIsc 5 of the "Good Vibrations" boxed set. In a 1983 interview that Brad Elliott conducted with Rich Alarian of the Survivors in the fanzine "Add Some Music", Rich mentions Brian playing that song back around the time they recorded "Pamela Jean."

Lee Dempsey
    (former co-editor, "Endless Summer Quarterly" fanzine)

20. Not necessarily.... if the song is truly from 1963, they simply could have pressed an acetate of it several years later. The acetate didn't necessarily need to be cut close to the recording date.

21. keoni

keoni Senior Member

very true.

22. LeeDempsey

The seller has posted a 20-second snippet on eBay. It's the same version that has been booted -- BUT I think it may be from a different source acetate. The version that has previously circulated doesn't have the loud groove hiss at the beginning that's evident on the eBay acetate -- unless the acetate has been damaged from wear since the first transfer was made, or the person who made the original transfer had noise reduction equipment to eliminate the hiss. Hmmm....

LED

23. LeeDempsey

From an interview with Rich Alarian of the Survivors in the Summer 1983 issue of Add Some Music magazine (interview conducted by Brad Elliott):

"There were so many songs that Brian came up with when we were together that were never recorded. There was a thing called 'Thank Him': (singing) 'Thank him for a beauty so rare, Thank him for our lo-o-o-o-ove.' And we did a whole thing on that, a chorus. It was beautiful. It was done on the Wollensak recorder. He went to Radio Recorders and we put that thing on a disc and it went on a shelf. There were so many things like that. And it was a beautiful song. It was like going down to the ocean and the shells... It was a love song, it was a beautiful love song."

LED

24. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Well, I'm the current high bidder. Big-duck. That's me.

I bid A LOT.

If I win, yes - I will give it to Steve to transfer.

JEFF!

25. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sounds like it's been back-cued.... Possibly belonged to a radio station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.