Supex Cartridges?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dcathro, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anybody know anything about Supex Cartridges?

I have just been given a Supex SDX 1000 mc which needs retipping, and I wondered if anyone had any experience with this or similar cartridge.

I am going to be mounting this on an old (1976) vintage Linn lp12 and rega tonearm, which I bought second hand on ebay.

Also does anyone know where I can get any technical information about the cartridge - output, tracking force, impedance matching, etc.

Thanks

Dave

2. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

give John Oakman at Grahams HIFI a ring 0207 226 5500 - they know the LP12 and it's carts better than anyone - the Supex/LP12 combi was legendary in it's day.

He can also inspect it properly arrange the retipping

Tim

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The SDX 1000 was a post Sugano design - I believe it's VERY similar to the Linn Asak, the cartridge originally designed for the Linn Ittok arm. Supex cartridges were excellent, but this design is about 25 years old. The Garrott brothers in Australia (in name now only, RIP) do a great job and can pull the cartridges to bits and completely rebuild them. I had a Breuer cartrige rebuilt by them, as well as a Kiseki and a Dynavector Karat. All sounded excellent and at the very least as good as the original.

4. dcathro

Hi John, do you know if the SDX 1000 sound very different to the 900 series?

I can get the retip done by expert stylus here in the UK. A lot of people swear by them.

Regards

David

5. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

Yes Wyndham does a great job and is lovely guy - some people say Van den Hul do a better job.

6. dcathro

Tim,

I think AJ tends to do a bit more extensive surgery, which some people like, and others don't. I think he is also more expensive.

Dave

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I never heard the 1000. Had a Sd900E super (I think) and it was OK. Tracking was a bit of a problem. The best cartridge I had was the Breuer type 80 (a modified EMT, which was further modified by the Garrotts - added a boron rod cantilever and a Microscanner diamond tip)

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

I have a Supex at work! I like it! I feel like either Expert Stylus in the UK or Van Den Hul in Holland are the best for retipping and rebuilds. Both have done superb work for me.

9. dcathro

Hi Kent,

What model is it, and how do you find the sound?

Dave

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

It is a 1000! I love the sound overall. It is a bit bright but airy sounding. One of the better tracking MC cartridges. It's only weakness is the bass notes and transients. This cart was retipped by Van Den Hul in Holland!

11. dcathro

Hi Kent,

How much did AJ charge you for the retipping?

Dave

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi Dave,

I will have to look it up. But I remember that it was costly. Over 500.00. I'll go through our engineering logs and see what we paid. It was 5 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.