Is your system more important than your music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Anals Of Rock, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anals Of Rock

Anals Of Rock New Member Thread Starter

Hello there - I've stumbled across this board and registered because I can see there's a whole rafter of knowledge on here. That can be very useful but, in itself, doesn't guarantee great musical threads. Let me explain.....

I've read various threads about the technical side of music production - even down to where the vinyl was pressed. Interesting in a very limited way - but, ultimately, not really what music is about. The technical brilliance of one's system, the studio the music was recorded, where it was mastered/manufactured etc is meaningless if the music contained within is crap . I wonder if a few of you actually really listen to the song - I fear it may come as a bit of a shock to you.

Sorry to state the obvious - but the punk explosion of '76 was based around exactly the same problem. Nearly thirty years on, it worries and disheartens me that we're still discussed technical minutae instead of how the middle eight connects with the verse.

2. Carmantom

Carmantom Primo Audioholic

Answer to your topic question. No!

My next thought is, "This is going to be fun, reading this thread as it unfolds. :biglaugh:

Tom

3. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

That's a new concept to me...I should listen to the music instead of hiss level, compression, phasing and drop-outs?

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

You can replace a sound system quickly...takes a lifetime to build a vinyl emporium..

Anals Of Rock....heh...:D WELCOME! :wave:

Well...first of all, don't let all that minutae fool you....the gang here all love their music dearly. But on this board, you have two kinds of members: those who are older, who grew up on the music, inside and out, over under sideways down, and for us, the technical side is often focused upon because we have no need to discuss the music itself, we already have--so many times over that the repetition gets to be a bit much. Hence, topics other than the music itself. We KNOW the music, so the SOUND QUALITY is of prime interest, the pressings(vinyl or CD) just as important. I hope you'll find out just how much discussion about the music itself is found here; with one post, you are assuming, which is dangerous in this glorious nutbin...:D

In the event, there has been plenty of musical discussion here...and like many of the other discussions here, some repetition, yes, but always new wrinkles and ideas...I can only suggest you post a few of yours and see how many are interested...:)

:ed:

5. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

It's all about the system and reproduction, the music doesn't matter at all. For example, I'm trying to convince SH to master my debut album "Sounds of the Dental Operatory". I know it will be a big seller to forum members. :bigeek:

In all seriousness, most of us are here because we are passionate about music and want to listen to our favorites presented in the best manner possible.

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I'm only distracted by my gear when it's not sorted out properly, which can be during a building or upgrade phase, and there is a noticeable personal preference imbalance.

Once it's sorted out I forget about it and go with the music. :)

But I know what you mean as I know people who go on at length about gear but never it seems about music.

7. Carmantom

Molecular phasing of 6 nines copper wire and Ohm impedance rhythm is far more important. :laugh up: Isn't the only purpose of the music to test the system? :confused:

I might have to rethink this whole deal
    :help:

Tom

8. Ed Bishop

Could be...the thread title suggests something different from the opening post itself....yeah, could get....weird...:D Time to find that bottle of popcorn kernels...

9. Carmantom

Anals of Rock,

On a more serious note, I would venture to say there is not a place on the planet more serious about the music than this site. Among it's members you will find world class musicians, mastering engineers,and others at the top of their field. All of which are dedicated to the very finest recording of music. You will also find world class listeners of music.

My personal goal is to continually add to my ability to hear all that the artist intended. Music to me is the same as a canvas is to the painter. I want to reach the interpretation of the music as the artist intended it to be. With all it's passion, rhythm,color,feeling and intensity.

Welcome to the board. If you ease up a little, you will come to find mostly people dedicated to the music.

Tom

10. Dreadnought

I missed that part when I quickly scanned the post.

Sorry I wasted my time.

11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I design software user interfaces for a living and I listen to music for fun. The right audio system for me is like a well-designed UI--totally transparent. I don't even noticy it's there.

12. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

I think that this is one of the few places you can go to actually chat with others that "listen" to the music. We need equipment to listen to it, and equipment was required to create the music, so we have to spend time chatting about those issues as an important component of music.

You are right. Some music is pure crap. I think that each of us has the right to decide what "crap" is. I also know that once I have found a recording that is meaningful, i.e., the history behind it, the quality of the pressing, the engineering and most of all the song writing and performance, I want to squeeze every ounce of sound out of it.

This is one of the few places you will get informed opinions about music and music-making. Yes, the technical issues are covered, but only as a sidenote to the MUSIC.

13. Anals Of Rock

Sorry if I offended some of you. I just find the endless need to dissect the smallest scrap of info regarding the mastering of whatever to be somewhat pointless. Music as an artform is to be enjoyed/cherished because of how it (almost) spiritually uplifts you. That's achieved through great songwriting - not technical perfection.

Here's a little test for you - think of The Beatles catalogue. Can you think of any of those songs (with very few exceptions) that wouldn't be able to be performed in an 'unplugged' environment? Then think of plank spankers like the loathesome Steve Vai - do you think, shorn of the swathes of studio trickery and masses of machine embodiments, his music would still stand the test? No, it wouldn't. And why? Because the song itself is garbage .

14. GregY

GregY New Member

While I agree with you, that's usually not the best way to get your point across here. Just a friendly tip. Although I do like the use of 'plank spankers.' :)

Most people here love music so much that they want to find the best possible way to listen to it. That's why there are so many threads about technical details. It's not so much that people aren't interested in the music itself; that's already assumed and the discussions usually go from there.

That being said, I'm one of the people that can enjoy a regular CD on an average set of equipment without feeling the need to spend $$$ finding an OOP CD that, to me, sounds marginally better. I'd rather take the $$$ and find more music.

15. Dreadnought

Of course. But it is the love of the song that has one want to hear it's best presentation. I can enjoy looking at the Mona Lisa through a pane of dirty glass but I'd rather a better presentation.

Sorry for initially dismissing you so quickly.

16. To be honest you probably won't like it here then. I happen to find the kind of information you find "pointless" to be very interesting. I personally want to know what the best sounding pressing of an album or cd is. What's the use of having a music collection to listen to and enjoy if you don't strive to have the best copies of what's available?

17. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

If a thread is pointless to you just...don't read it. This site offers lots of topics and viewpoints. No need to get yourself all worked up because you aren't interested in a particular topic :) And welcome to the site!

18. GregY

GregY New Member

Because at some point, it becomes a case of diminishing returns in my opinion. Maybe I don't have as much expendable cash or time as some of you. Therefore, with the limited funds and money that I have, I get to choose where to put it. Do I take $70 and put it towards the DCC version of Joni Mitchell's Blue or do I put it towards a bunch of new music? Some of you answer that question differently than me. I enjoy listening to 'new' music as much as some of you listening to the same album over and over. Different strokes and all...

19. Agreed, perhaps I should have said "the best copies you can afford". I know that the DCC pressing of a particular album is the best, but I don't want to drop $150 for it when I can get a pressing that is close in quality for $15. Threads about different pressings help me make those decisions and it's why I find them so interesting. One of the reasons I find collecting music so much fun, and by the same token why some hate it, is all the different pressings, country of origin, etc., there is to collect.

20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I can't wait until antonkk wakes up and reads the initial post.

21. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I gather that when you speak of quality you are basically referring to other decades as both musical and technical quality seem to be seriously lacking in the most popular music nowadays.

Now, if you are inviting us to talk about the craft of songwriting I think it is a good theme to add to all the interesting conversations we usually have here (technical and not). What do you want to talk about then? The effect of Pink Floyd having used 7/8 and 4/4 time for a blues instead of the latter? If a song has had its lyrics well constructed due to how it is structured? Go ahead, that's part of the experience of music we are open to here.

22. Ed Bishop

Ron,

Do you like your popcorn buttered? With, without salt? Coke, or Diet? :winkgrin:

23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

My system exists so I can enjoy the music. If there was no music, why would anyone buy a stereo system? More importantly, if all music sounded like MP3 quality (for example) I'd probably be happy with a boom-box.

But all music does not sound the same. The same album title can sound totally different from CD to CD and from LP to LP. How is this possible? How can one mastering engineer make a CD sound like ***** with digital harshness or distorted guitars while another mastering enginer make the same piece of music sound amazing - where you can hear a natural guitar "sound" or a vocal where it sounds like (for example) Jim Morrison is alive and singing in your listening room?

That, in my humble opinion, is what it's all about.

I bought the best stereo system I can find with the funds at my disposal so I can appreciate my favourite music, the artistry involved, etc., etc.

And yes, a polished turd is still just a turd underneath. :D

24. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

(Chanting in my sleep) Punk sucks. Alternative blows. Bono polishes big Al Jazeera c....k. Long live Bee Gees!

:rant:

Oops, sorry, good morning, Ron! :wave: Now what did I miss? What was the thread about?
    :unhunh:

But personaly I like the fine balance between technical and musical discussion on this forum. I need (and enjoy) both. Can't see any problem with that. :righton:

25. Anals Of Rock

No, my thread wasn't to start a discussion on songwriting - although it's something we could stray into. My point was that the endless dissection of the 'finer' points of music production mask the reality of the event - that being that, songs matter. It's the song, stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.