Beatles mini-LP CDs legit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DavidF, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw these on eBay. They look interesting. Are they "official" releases? They look like little LPs down to the vinyl apperance. Allow a second to download:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Japanese mono box set:
    [​IMG]

2. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

They look pretty cool, but they're not legit.

3. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the fair warning.

Is the Japanese CD collection (pictured below) legit? They're charging an arm and a leg. I don't want to get unofficial releases. It's so hard to tell nowadays:

Release Date: Nov 15, 1988
    Record Label: Capitol/EMI Records
    Number of Discs: 16 Discs UPC: 077779130221

[​IMG]

4. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

The Japanese collection posted second [Release Date: Nov 15, 1988
    Record Label: Capitol/EMI Records, Number of Discs: 16 Discs UPC: 077779130221] looks legit to me.

As for the first set, they are not legit. They are Russian bootlegs. But I have read reviews and supposedly they look as good in real life as they do in pictures. Supposedly just spectacular. As for the sound, it's usually just either a straight dub of the normal CD or a dub of a needledrop. Nothing special. But it makes you wonder: if Russian pirates can make packages that look that nice, Apple must surely be able to top them, no? :rolleyes:

5. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

The dead giveaway is that "With the Beatles" is in stereo. Any time you see the first four albums on CD in stereo (or the later albums in mono), it's a bootleg.

You're right, though, they do look really cool.

6. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

I've seen these in the flesh and they ARE beautifully done - the early albums even replicate the 'flipback' sleeve construction, like those (legit) Japanese mini-LPs of early 60s EMI LPs; the CDs used are those 'fake vinyl' ones, black on both sides with 'vinyl grooves' texture on the non-playing side.

7. todd33rpm

todd33rpm New Member

That's what hurts. Packaging-wise, what I'm seeing in those boots is exactly what Parlophone/Apple should be doing now, if not to begin with. In the case of this non-legit issue, somebody's taken a lot of care and time to get it RIGHT.

A friend of mine's biggest complaint is that the photo of the "tripped-out" four should not have been cut up and put into the booklet on separate pages for the original CD version of Revolver. Looks as if this package would take great pains to fix concerns like that.

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Also, Apple wouldn't do something like this quietly. It'd be all over the press, the discussion boards, the magazines, everywhere. If you see something like this on eBay that you've never ever heard anything about, you can be pretty sure it's not legit.

9. Runt

Runt Senior Member

As many here will recall, Apple actually did experiment with this packaging a few years ago. The 30th Anniversary Edition of the White Album came in a mini-LP sleeve, complete with replicas of the original photos, poster, etc. Very well done, packaging-wise (I believe the disc itself was not remastered for the occasion...)

So, they've proved they can do it right with the mini-LP sleeves. What's the freakin' hold up on the rest of the catalog? :realmad:

10. I have seen these discs on eBay from time to time, mostly the White Album. Gorgeous packaging. Come on Apple and EMI, wake up and smell the coffee! :)

11. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

They look great! I would buy one if I have the chance. For the packaging.

12. Kemp Neal

Kemp Neal Forum Resident

There are eight of these that have been issued. They are With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Help, Sgt. Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, The white album, Let It Be and Abbey Road. The packaging is excellent on these. The accuracy and detail of these replicas is stunning, even down to the gloss and matte finishes of the covers and the detail in the inserts that show the labels as they were on the albums. The white album pictured in the first post of the thread is of the original Apple release (30th anniversary edition) I believe. I have both of these and the Russian copy is a much more accurate replica than the official one. These are released by CD Maximum and I have seen on other forums that some people claim that these are legitamte releases due to some quirk in Russian copyright laws. Whether they are lgit or not, it is a shame that Apple/EMI doesn't see fit to put as much care and detail in their own releases.
    As far as the sound quality, they sound identical to the official release except for With The Beatles and A Hard Day's Night which are in stereo. AHDN sounds very good, however WTB is a little tough on the ears.
    They are worthwhile IMO, as collectable items for the serious collector based on the packaging alone. I have collected many of the Japanese mini-lp paper sleeve cd's that are legit and these are every bit as nice as any I have gotten.

13. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

They also feature an obi-style paper insert, although with Russian type instead of Japanese(!), if you like that sort of thing.
    And there's a similar range of Russian Pink Floyd mini-LPs - same attention to detail, black CDs, obi etc. the Dark Side Of The Moon one comes with mini posters and stickers, for example...

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The White Album looks like the legit UK 30th release to me too. The others are boots -- but they sure are purdy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.