New Ziggy Stardust 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by leoconsole, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident Thread Starter

From Bowie's FB page:

'REMASTERED ZIGGY 40TH VINYL/CD/DVD DUE IN JUNE

I'd come on like a regular superstar...

EMI are excited to announce the release of a 40th anniversary edition of David Bowie’s truly groundbreaking and hugely influential album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars.

Due on June 4th (June 5th U.S.) – to mark the 40th anniversary of Ziggy, the formats will include the following...

------------------------------​------------------------------​-----------------

CD:

A new 2012 remaster of the original album. Digitally remastered by Ray Staff, original mastering engineer for Ziggy at Trident Studios, and Ken Scott – original co-producer.

LP:
    A new 2012 remaster of the original album on heavyweight 180g vinyl. Digitally remastered by Ray Staff.

DVD:
    2012 remaster (96/24 PCM stereo) Digitally remastered by Ray Staff.

Ken Scott 2003 5.1 mixes (DTS 48/24 & Dolby Digital) and stereo fold downs (48/24 PCM) – original album plus the following 5.1 previously unreleased bonus tracks:

Moonage Daydream (instrumental)
    The Supermen
    Velvet Goldmine
    Sweet Head

There will also be a digital download of the new 2012 remaster.

------------------------------​------------------------------​-----------------

This is great news for those of you that have been after a copy of the 2003 Ziggy SACD which featured the 5.1 mixes, as you would be hard-pushed to get change from sixty quid for a copy these days. Somebody is even asking for £175 for a copy on a popular marketplace site right now!

Stay tuned for more details and related news'

2. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

a little bummed...own the sacd and kind of hoping this would be the year of the LOW anniversary...oh well maybe still.

3. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

If the 96/24 flat transfer is as good as the ELO one EMI have just done this will be great.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i really love the sound of the AU20 gold disc. they will have to do a heck of a lot to improve that one for me.

5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

We want the loud morse section in Starman!

and a digital version that beats the RCA vinyl

and not to have to buy the new vinyl to get the high-res and 5.1

Tim

6. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I'm certainly interested in the Dvd ....

7. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

I wish they had done something like the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" and "Smile" box sets: lots of studio outtakes and edit pieces (if there are any). Something for the diehard Ziggy fans to have an idea of what the actual recording sessions were like.

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

DVD?

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

And what will the asking price be on this beauty? $150? I'd like to get the 5.1 mix, but I'm not willing to shell out that kind of money for something like this. I'm fine with separate vinyl releases, but lumping them into these sets helps to make them cost prohibitive.

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Where does it say that this is a single package?

11. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I want that too. Maybe this time. :wave:

12. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Does this mean Bowie has a new catalog deal, or is this still considered part of the last one?

On the plus side, can't be worse than the 30th, with the missing bits and channels reversed. I heard the SACD version, and really liked that presentation.

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Good point! I guess I was assuming that this would be a super duper mega immersion deal a la Station To Station. We'll see. . .

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Booooooorrrrrrring.

C'mon....ain't they got anything interesting in the vaults they can give us beside those same, tired bonus tracks (backing track notwithstanding).

Digitally remastered vinyl.....PAH!

So many fancy editions, all different shapes and sizes. Can we not get some sense of uniformity in the Bowie catalog?

Can't Ryko have another go?

15. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

BFD.....where is the unreleased material like Shadowman???????

16. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Vinyl for me and if the review of the sonics are good here I'll grab the CD too.

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The last reissue from around 2003 was good enough for me. I'll pass on this one.

18. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

Heck, the 1986 German RCA cd sounded better than that one!

The trend recently in Bowie EMI reissues has been to match the original sound of the vinyl and with luck they will do the same again. The EQ on both the SACD and the 30th Anniversary disc was horrible and finally a decade later the guys at EMI seem to have learned from their mistakes.

Good luck with that one! :laugh: The UK green label RCA has been my go-to for years, nothing else came close.

19. Have they though? Perhaps we fans of this album should all bombard EMI with our thoughts and comments BEFORE they have a chance to completely screw Ziggy up - again!?

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So they pull out all the stops for a Station To Station anniversary set yet this is all we get for one of the greatest rock albums of all time?? Pretty weak Anniversary set.

21. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Is this another sign that David Bowie just doesn't want to give up anything that might be in the vaults? The lack of bonus material on this (and STS) seems to suggest so.

22. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

Exactly. Even Ryko had 5 bonus tracks, this has only 4???

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

His catalogue is a free agent in 2012 and there's been no word if this Ziggy release is the first of a new contract or last release of the one expiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5L8J6-nANY
    David released this Ziggy video on VHS, but not on DVD.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They do need 40 year old multitracks of non-album tracks.

25. +1
    I hate this bundle trend (CD+DVD+LP) that either require ponying up a boatload of dosh for the one thing I want (5.1) or doing without -which is what I have been doing since this trend started.:realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.