Beach Boys' "Endless Harmony" 1998 vs. 2000 edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Jan 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I have the opportunity to pick up either version of this compilation.

Which version should I go for? Besides cover art, what are the differences between the two? And why was it revised just two years after its original release?

2. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

Here's what was new about the 2000 version:

As you can see it kind of comes down to personal preference. I have one of the '98 versions and enjoy it, but I will probably pick up the newer one too someday for the differences.

There are also two different variations on the '98 versions each having a different "Radio Concert Promo 1" track.

Read more here:
    http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/543/bbfaq.html

3. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

FWIW, the out-of-sync CG on the later version is *very* noticable. I prefer the more dry remixes on the first set, as well.

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

IIRC the remixes on the first set are much wider.

5. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I like the first version, too, but I think it's one of those things where if you're either compulsive enough or a big enough BB fan, you'll end up with both. They're each fairly easy to find in used CD stores if you don't want to pay full price, etc. etc.

6. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Good point, Sharedon. I STILL see the first one used everywhere. It's less of a slapdash affair than Hawthorne, but it still doesn't have any discernable demographic. Consequently, I think a lot of people bought it expecting a hits compilations and returned it post haste.

7. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

As far as sound,production and mastering,The first one is really good. The later one is a real hackjob.
    PERIOD!

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The first version was mastered by Dan Hirsch and the current version was mastered by Joe Gastwirt, right?

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Dan Hirsch mastered the first version, tape assembly & preparation by Andrew Sandoval assisted by Bill Inglot & Dave Pearlman.

I don't know about the later version.

10. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I have the first version. I never realized there were any differences in the two versioins. I just assumed the 2nd one was just re-released with the DVD. I might pick up the 2nd version sometime, as well.

11. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow. Thanks for the info, guys. I just might have to buy both, if only for the "correct" stereo remix of "California Girls" and the a capella "Surfer Girl."

12. claymcc

claymcc Forum Resident

Endless Harmony was a project that shows the change in hands of the BB catalog in the mastering/assembly dept. Andrew S., who handled all the 70s and 80s re-releases and twofers, did the first one. (He also assembled the BB GH vol 3 -- Best of the Brother Years compilation.)

After the DVD came out, Mark Linnett was back on the scene, and he basically redid the entire thing, as has been noted above. He made some rather catty comments about the earlier versions, but practically everyone prefers it anyway.

13. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

It should be noted, that the changes on the second version were made at the request of certain band members, unhappy with the first version. Personally, I prefer the first version too. In the case of the two '64/'65 stereo mixes, as mentioned by others, they retain more of a "feel" of straight mixdowns...which in this particular case works for me. There's so much beauty in the massed, double-tracked vocals that they actually sound better "pure," IMHO.

I can't honestly say that though for certain other bands. In those cases...effects are their friends.

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

And another thing......I really LIKE the binaraul "Surfer Girl". Its a real change from the same old version we've heard all these years.

The "acapella" version on the second release just sounds wierd to me. I keep expecting to hear that great guitar line but I never do!!!!

Larry Geller likes this.
  15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Does the photo on the 1998 issue show the Beach Boys behind a fence?

16. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Yes :)

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Also, it actually was released on vinyl, as a Starline 45 (which I own), so it should be on SOME compilation SOMEWHERE, and not lost again, which it now is.:(

18. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Yea, I'm glad I bought that when I did.

19. David R. Modny

It probably should also be mentioned that Mark Linett did, yet, another stereo mix of "California Girls" on the '03 "Sounds of Summer" compilation, addressing the above issue.

FWIW, I dragged out both versions of "Endless Harmony" tonight for the first time in eons. While I still prefer the Sandoval mixes of the above two tracks, I do feel that the improved source tracks utilized for the Knebworth "Darlin'' make for a better *sounding* mix on the Linett version -- in the case of that particular track.

20. I'm in a&bsound right now. We just cracked open the 2000 version of the above CD and are listening to it.

3. The 1966 concert medley sounds like it could be sped up. I will have to a/b this with the '98 version when I get home.

4. The stereo vocal only version of Surfer Girl, blows chunks. You can faintly here the instruments bleeding through in the background. As Mikey said, you're waiting for the instruments to kick in.

5. "California Girls" sounds fine to us. :confused: I'll check it against the '98 version later.

9. "Do It Again". It sure sounds weird. Since there never was a stereo version of this song, I'd like to know what Mark Linett did to this song. It is definitely not mono, something odd is going on here. Mike Love's vocals appear to be centred, however there sounds as if some processing was done to the background instruments to give it a faux stereo feel.

21. The musc software mgr. here and I think we have the first 1998 pressing of the CD in our respective CD collections.

How do we find version 2? How do we know if we have version 1?

22. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Well, right now I am holding a 1998 BMG club pressing that says RE3 on the inner ring. RE THREE???

23. David R. Modny

Version 1 is the orange cover, "Wild Honey era" photo of them behind the fence. As noted, there was a "fix" on this one where one of the spoken promos was corrected. That's technically Version 2. Thus, same cover --everything else the same. The "Sandoval version(s)".

Version "3" (or Version 2 if you're not counting the above fix), is the whole new cover design...the white one that matches the DVD photo. The band sitting in the yellow car with the water behind them. The "Linett version".

24. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

OK Guys I have both versions.... My '98 version says RE 1.... The problem is that other than the new design the liner notes and end credits are exactly the same. They didn't even bother to update them... Surfer Girl still says Binaural Mix and the credits say Mastered by Dan Hirsch at DigiPrep. Were these fixed on later versions?? I'm guessing not... I think I'll A/B them tomorrow.

1998 Version:
    [​IMG]

2000 Version:
    [​IMG]

25. David R. Modny

They didn't change the liner notes, at least as far as I know, to date. So, the second photo is the Linett version, regardless of what the liners say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.