I review the $175 tubed Yaqin MS-22B phono preamplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dividebytube, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident Thread Starter

I first got into audio, way back in the mists of time, because of vacuum tubes. Thanks to hearing a friend's McIntosh MC240 and an old Dynaco PAS (both extensively modified), I heard music in such a way that forever changed the way I look at stereo equipment. Lately I've been dabbling in solid-state; trying to wring out whatever musicality I could from these silicon devices. And to a certain degree, really good SS gear can capture much of the magic of vacuum tube gear without the worry of tube life. However, vacuum tubes have a sheer musicality that is hard to replicate with solid-state. You can call it warmth, dimensionality, or liveliness - but there is something special about valves.

I've heard a number of positive reviews and experiences with the Yaqin MS-22B. This is a simple two-tube phonostage that uses a solid-state buffer. From the pictures, it looked impossibly well-made for only $175 shipped. I was curious enough to give this budget unit a chance, so I ordered one via Ebay. To my surprise, I had it in my hands in a week.

Pulling the Yaqin MS-22B out of the box, I was surprised by the heft. The metalwork also appears to be of a high quality, having lettering for the tube types, power switch and the RCA jacks. The stock tubes are Shuguang 12AX7Bs - known to be a little dark in their presentation - and are covered with twist-on metal shields. The input and output jacks, plus the ground lug are also very nice. The power transformer is mounted on top and is covered with a vented metal box that looks like a small toaster oven. I've built my own DIY phono preamplifiers, and I know from experience that building something like this from scratch would cost more than the Yaqin asking price.

Okay, how does it sound? Since I only have one turntable that uses a MM cartridge, I could only check out the Yaqin in my second system (listed below). Placing the 22-B on top of my Audio Research SP-7, I soon had the cables switched around. I then turned on the Yaqin, which emitted a nice blue glow through the front logo. Note - there was a nice thunk when powered on, so keep your volume control down when turning the 22-B on.

The first record on was Pete Townshend's classic Empty Glass. Through the Yaqin, the music had a nice bouncy rhythm, a surprisingly extended top-end (considering the Shuguang 12AX7Bs), deep bass, and a engaging character that made the record a joy to hear. I then went and cooked some dinner, leaving the Shuguang on to warm up further. After eating, my fellow audiophile friend came over. We listened to Frank Sinatra's Strangers in the Night and Neil Young's On the Beach, and concluded that the Yaqin MS-22B is one hell of a deal. At least in the confines of this budget system, we heard an extra dimensionality that the Audio Research did not have. The ARC SP-7 is definitely more neutral, detailed, and 'high-end', but the Yaqin was more engaging, musical, and just plain fun. At the price it is being sold, it is also a great bargain. For a budget system - highly recommended, but with some minor caveats.

What are my issues with this phono preamplifier? I did notice a bit of hum at higher volume settings, but this shouldn't be an issue unless you are running high-efficiency speakers or a lower output cartridge. I also found the bass to be a little plummy - perhaps this could be corrected with some tube rolling. I also plan to change the stock coupling caps.

Second System:
    Preamplifier: Audio Research SP-7
    Amplifier: Audio Research D-52B
    Analog: Dual CS-5000 turntable - Audio-Technica AT95E cartridge
    Digital: Pioneer DVD-V7400
    Speakers: KEF iQ30
    Speaker Cable: Canare 4S11 Quadlink
    Interconnects: Cardas Crosslink

2. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Thats a nice review! well done!
    There seems to be a myriad of lower price-good performer phono pre's out there..

3. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Planning to get an entry level arm-cart-phono pre combo next year. This may fit in.

Looking for bottom and top extension (suited for rock), with a sweet midrange, for less that a thou.

Rega arm, AT 150 or Rega cart, and perhaps this.

4. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Taking it off of the ARC preamp will probably cut down the hum. Not a good idea to put a phono preamp on top of another power supply...

5. DevilDuck

DevilDuck New Member

Anyone have any internal pictures of this amp with the bottom plate off? I looks identical to my Yaqin Tube buffer.

6. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

I have a Yaqin full integrated amp, MS2A3 tubes and I love it and think it sounds great. Was quite a change form my earlier amp, an El34 design, and a shock at first. Not as tubey and far more revealing.

However after a few months one channel went, I got it fixed, and then the other one went. The rectifier had blown and then apparently there was something wrong with the soldering. Rather than post it back to Hong Kong at huge expense I got it fixed locally at a reasonable price. The guy who fixed it said it was the worst soldering he had ever seen!

My point is that these units are not as well built as the main players' more expensive amps and may cost you more than you initially pay.

But once fixed and running, great value and worth it.

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

So, you have to wait until the unit fails, and is "fixed right", to have a "great value"? - Something wrong here, I think. :shh::shake:

8. dividebytube

in this case, it was a matter of space - but yes, I agree.

But there have also been some other reports of low-level hum with the Yaqin. Though the RCA inputs are shielded by metal and the cables are shielded, the jacks are still pretty close to the AC jack.

9. dividebytube

not much to see with the bottom plate off - the components are located on 'top' of the PCB, so with the bottom plate off one can see some signal + power supply wiring and PCB traces.

Getting to the actual components will require the removal of the PCB from the case.

10. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I Decided to order a the Yaqin MS-22B & just received it in the Mail today ....as mentioned , it took just overa week to get it .
    Hooked it up & i will say this thing is pretty sweet sounding !! really nice low end that's very Open & moves some air , pretty warm .
    I too have the Problem mentioned & has also been posted on other Forums with the "HUM" ..... Not sure where it's coming from , but i have the Table Grounded out to the unit & it's certainly not a ground hum .
    the Tubes that came in it are pretty Microphonic right off the bat ......

Anyone figure out how to eliminate the hum yet ? will swapping out tunes do the trick ? or is it coming from elsewhere ?

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'll bet it could be the power supply feeling into the microphonic tubes. This seems to be a thing that happens to some photo pre's that are tube. My PH-1 DOES exhibit some hum but it's so low, you can't really notice it.

If there's detail enough to make it involving, a very, very low HUM could be bettered with tubes and maybe some isolation, but it's tough to troubleshoot. People try the weirdest things to isolate that problem...

12. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for the tip , Maybe i'll try getting some tubes in a few weeks , Overall it sounds really nice , the Hum is just a hair luder than i'd like it if your listening to low passage Jazz stuff , but with Rock you don't notice & it has to be pretty loud , if i could knock it down a bit maybe with some tubes i'd be happy , Thanks again!

13. lilc

lilc Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.