Gary Stewart, the country singer, committed suicide

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Dec 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Country singer Gary Stewart dies
    By staff and wire report
    December 16, 2003

FORT PIERCE — Country music singer and songwriter Gary Stewart was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the neck in his home Tuesday morning, police said.

Stewart's daughter's boyfriend found Stewart, 59, lying in his bed shortly before noon. No foul play is suspected, according to a police department press release. He was last seen by relatives on Sunday.

A native of Lechter County, Kentucky, Stewart has been called a compelling songwriter and performer of guitar-driven honky tonk country. His last album was released this year, entitled "Live at Billy Bob’s Texas."

Some of his honky tonk hits include: "Drinkin’ Thing," "Out of Hand" and "She’s Actin’ Single (I’m Drinkin’ Doubles)," which hit No. 1 on the Billboard chart in 1975.

2. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

What a shame... terrible news.

3. BradOlson

I have pulled out "The Essential Gary Stewart" and listening to his great music right now.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

You never know.....a shock. Hadn't heard much of him in recent years, got some of his stuff on vinyl.....a shame, and a loss.

ED

5. BradOlson

He did record for Hightone in the late 1980s trying for a comeback but the comeback didn't lead to as much commercial success as he had when he was on RCA.

6. sprocket

sprocket Active Member

dang....

7. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

that's just depressing, he'll be missed

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

9. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Man that's some depressing news. That "Out of Hand" album is amazing.
    I love it.
    Very sad.....

Thanks Bradley
    Best-
    Norm

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

It's never cool to hear about something like this. And during the holiday season, too... :shake:

11. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Bummer. Gary was a great singer. Rest in peace.

12. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Chet Flippo's Column on Gary

Here's Chet Flippo's column on Gary, from CMT.com

NASHVILLE SKYLINE: Gary Stewart: Country's Little Big Man
    The Lure and Romance of Destruction

By: Chet Flippo

(NASHVILLE SKYLINE is a column by CMT/CMT.com Editorial Director Chet Flippo.)

He was just a little slip of a guy. He was so skinny that he could almost, as they used to say about Hank Williams, "change clothes inside a shotgun barrel." But when Gary Stewart opened his mouth, big things happened. The guy sang big, and he lived big. What a shame he died small.

When I heard that he had fatally shot himself this week, I lit a candle and played a song for one of the most soulful country singers I ever met. His passing struck a personal chord with a lot of people I knew and a lot that I didn't know. I was surprised and pleased to see an amazing amount of Internet chatter about Stewart and to see the great many heartfelt tributes that people were posting online.

He was simultaneously more country than most country artists of his time and more of a staunch, down-and-dirty Southern rocker than almost all of the Southern rockers. I'm not sure that he ever realized just how good he was. A Gary Stewart performance was an amazing thing. Think of Jerry Lee Lewis boiled down into an even more devilish imp who was not going to let you get away without a Holy Ghost blessing from the fount of rockin' country.

That show translated especially well in New York City, where I was living when I first saw him perform. His shows were like fevered honky church services. Much of the time, he was a wild man, onstage and off. He scared a lot of people by his intensity. But downtown New York was very receptive to that combustive aura of an artist burning talent at white heat. I didn't know him well, but he became a friend instantly when I met him at New York's Lone Star Café.

I was then in the process of writing a book about Hank Williams, and Stewart was fascinated by the life and the legend of Hank. And he was especially drawn by the strange link he felt with Hank's self-destructive tendencies, the romance of self-destruction. The moth to the flame syndrome that's killed creative people from the poet Rimbaud to the actor James Dean to the country star Hank Williams to the rock stars Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin was burning in young Gary Stewart. We talked about the motivation behind Hank's songs, about his decline, about his burnout. And, of course, about the music.

You owe it to yourself, if you've never heard Gary Stewart, to give the man a listen. Such songs as "Out of Hand" and "Your Place or Mine" are pure honky-tonk havens. The title of "She's Actin' Single (I'm Drinking Doubles)" is treated like a country joke these days, but that song itself is a primer in lyrics that come straight from the dark night of the soul. Stewart put his heart and soul into his music, but he also bought into the old romantic notion of the outlaw singer as doomed wastrel and he thought that drugs and alcohol were crucial parts of the equation.

I wonder if he died of a broken heart and if that's what impelled him to turn a pistol on himself. He was haunted by the suicide of his son Gary Joseph, who shot and killed himself in 1988.

Stewart's career itself had evaporated. Like Hank Williams, he was bothered by chronic back pain. In Stewart's case, it came from a car wreck. And then his beloved wife of more than four decades, Mary Lou, died. There was just nothing much left for him. I know that same situation had also happened to the only other country star that I personally knew who shot himself. Faron Young simply could not stand the sheer vacuum and banality that his life had become after his career and personal life dried up and he lost his stardust. So he bit the bullet. Early in his career, Young summed up the romantic credo in his first No. 1 song, when he sang "I wanta live fast, love hard, die young -- and leave a beautiful memory."

Stop and consider this: Gary Stewart's contemporary Billy Joe Shaver lost everything in the past few years. All of his loved ones -- his mother, his wife, and his son (who was also his musical partner) -- were gone in a short span of time. His career went away. He suffered a massive heart attack. He was knocked down to his knees but he's gotten up and fought back and actually gone on to create new music. What's the difference between Gary Stewart and Billy Joe Shaver? Why did one pick up the gun and why did the other go back to pick up the microphone? I don't know.

13. BradOlson

Chet Flippo is right that Gary is the closest thing to Hank Williams as far as 70s mainstream country singers are concerned. He was a great singer, songwriter, poet, and you can tell in his voice that he did live the life he sang about but unfortunately, he only had 3 top 10 hits on the country charts. All of us Hoffman forum regulars should pick up at least "The Essential Gary Stewart" to start with.

keyXVII, zphage and The Killer like this.
  14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Could this be related to his drug addictions?

15. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

Gary Stewart was, for me, up there with the greats of real honkytonk music. I never got to see him live, but lived with his music often at 4am.
    For those wanting to learn more, his 1st 5 rca records (1975-79) are the best (Out Of Hand, Steppin Out, Your Place Or Mine, Little Junior, & Gary)- the compilations aren't bad but miss a lot.
    Like he said on the 1st line of the 1st song from his 1st album : "Everyday I tell myself it's temporary..."

John.

16. BradOlson

Yes it could be related to his drug addictions back in his heyday but in the late 80s, he sobered up and recorded for Hightone.

17. sgeery

sgeery Forum Resident

Another Good Obit (If there can be such a thing)

Whiskey Trip
    Gary Stewart, the demi-legend of country music.
    By Jim Lewis
    Posted Monday, Dec. 22, 2003, at 3:41 PM PT

Back in the '80s, when country music was going through one of its periodic episodes of self-conscious and self-satisfied hokum, there was a billboard on a highway outside of Dallas, advertising one of those urban honky-tonk radio stations. The sign consisted of the station's call letters and a single song title: "She's Actin' Single, I'm Drinking Doubles," and if you didn't know any better, you might think it was a kind of joke. "You know this is schlock," it seemed to say, "and we know this is schlock, but it'll give you something funny to talk about at the office tomorrow morning."

But the song wasn't schlock—it had once been a true hit record—and since the man who wrote and sang it shot himself to death last week, now is a good time to stand back and take a look at the song, the man's career, and the terrible fate of country demi-legends. Ladies and gentleman, raise a glass to Gary Stewart.

Stewart was born in 1945 in Letcher County, Ken., the son of—yes—a coal miner, who moved his family down to the he Florida coast when Gary was 12. There he learned to play guitar; at the age of 17, he met and married a woman named Mary Lou Taylor, to whom he stayed married for the rest of his life. He began writing songs for minor country stars, and he was 30 before he got a chance to record his own music: The album, called Out of Hand, had "She's Actin' Single" on it, along with a few other hits—"Drinking Thing" was one, and over the following years there were more along the same lines: "Whiskey Trip," "An Empty Glass," and so on. Just about all Stewart's songs were about getting drunk to get over someone, and they were pretty easy to treat as novelty songs, especially if you weren't, yourself, getting drunk to get over someone.

But Stewart didn't sing them as if they were novelty songs; he sang them as if he had reached down his own throat, grabbed hold of his misery, and yanked it out of his chest. He had a high, quavering voice that was part George Jones, part Roy Orbison, and part who knows what—Dion, maybe, or something out of New Orleans. He wasn't kidding, and for a time there, Gary Stewart was as great a singer and songwriter as America had to offer. "I've got this drinking thing," he sang in his shivering, redneck tenor, "to keep from thinking things." Jukebox music doesn't get much better than that.

Well, the time wasn't long: a few years, maybe, in the late '70s, a handful of albums and short string of hits. Stewart didn't really fit in anywhere: He wasn't Southern rock, and he wasn't Nashville country, and honky-tonk is, almost by definition, not the sort of stuff that plays well outside a small club. What's more he was, not surprisingly, a heavy drinker, he could be a difficult man, and in time he disappeared. From there, the story goes downhill. In 1980, Stewart was in a car crash that wrecked his back; in 1988 his son Gary Joseph killed himself with a gun; and last month his wife Mary Lou died after a bout of pneumonia. "Gary couldn't put his pants on without Mary Lou around," a friend of mine who knew him told me. So he shot himself in the neck and died.

Down here in Texas, his suicide didn't make the paper, and the New York Times didn't run an obituary for almost a week—and when it did, the obit was a terse, unsigned thing. But you ought to know about him, you ought to listen to him—he still sounds great—and if if you have the time, you might pause to reflect on the ignominies of fame. Gary Stewart, 59: a brief moment of loud and public heartache, a long slow slide into oblivion, bad decisions, bad luck, and a terrible, lonely death. Happy holidays, y'all.

Jim Lewis is the author of three novels, most recently, The King Is Dead.

stefane likes this.
  18. BradOlson

Over a dozen years later, we are still missing this great singer-songwriter but his great music lives on. He does need to be remembered for years to come as this IS honky tonk music at its best.

JL7, The Killer, keyXVII and 2 others like this.
  19. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

There is a guy in Nashville putting together a boxed set (he's been working on it for years) and if it ever comes out it will blow your mind. There is a mountain of stuff no one has ever heard.

20. BradOlson

I hope this boxed set comes out still as his legacy needs to be remembered. This is too important a legacy to be overlooked the way it has.

21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I
    Indeed. I'm spinning the best of the hightone years now.

22. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

sirwallacerock likes this.
  23. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Woke up this morning and just wanted to hear some of that great music my Dad would play when I was young.I downloaded a bunch of Hank Williams and Ernest Tubbs and his Texas Troubadours.
    Brad,what album would you suggest to someone new to Gary's music?Thanks.

24. BradOlson

Out of Hand and Your Place or Mine are the studio albums to start with or go for The Essential Gary Stewart for a comp. All of his RCA albums are great, especially the first few. Gary's music is perfect for those people who love Hank and Ernest who want to hear how Honky Tonk had evolved 10+ years later.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    garymc likes this.
  25. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.