Best sounding Camel CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheRimeOfIcarus, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRimeOfIcarus

TheRimeOfIcarus Active Member Thread Starter

I fell in love with the band Camel a week ago and I was wondering if anyone had opinions of what the best sounding CD versions are? I'd like to get the albums "Mirage", "Moonmadness", and "The Snow Goose" and possibly more :)

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  2. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

if you dont have the 1st w. german london records THE SINGLE FACTOR, you need it sooooooo bad. oh my god. sound good, NO great!!!! the live album pressure points, and stationary traveller too. but single factor, omg

im not even really familar w/ their 70s stuff yet, but their 80s stuff, omfg. all the cds sound beyond fantastic and the songs are incredible

3. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Regarding the three titles you mention – if you don't have any Camel CD's right now, I think you'll be safe in just getting the Paschal Byrne remasters that are currently in print. They've gotten high marks on this forum, which is rare for a remaster.

That said, some of us – including myself – have a slight preference for the Originals. And in my case, I do mean slight; mostly having to do with clearer mids and more open-ness. But they're a bit harder to come by, and have issues of their own. The original London Moonmadness, for instance, was mastered at a very high level for some strange reason. And you may find the original Deram Snow Goose too trebly. Or, it may just be my system – YMMV.

And if you're ever interested in the S/T first album, which is also great, keep in mind that some of the Camel Productions originals came with manufacturer glitches. I went through three pressings before I landed one without the glitches.

Happy hunting. And welcome to the wonderful music of CAMEL!

4. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

5. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Camel fans can be happy with the fact that both remasters and original CDs sounds very good. The remasters do include much improved artwork but are generally more expensive. Both editions appears, for the most part, to be in print.

6. TheRimeOfIcarus

I picked up both the original Moonmadness and the 2002 remaster for $7 in total(what a steal :D) earlier today. I listened to the original first and to me it sounded somewhat compressed. It turns out I was actually right haha:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/cameli.jpg/

I find it a bit odd that an older original CD would be compressed like that. Is that one of the possible manufacturer glitches?

7. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I know some people were not happy with original WG CD of "Snowgoose" either. So there may be some black sheeps even in this catalogue!

But generally I believe either the remaster or the original CD will sound good in the Camel catalogue.

8. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

"To the best of my knowledge, most everyone agrees that the 2002 Paschal Byrne remaster is the best CD version of "Moonmadness". In fact, all of Byrne's work for Camel is excellent. Not compressed at all."

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=2870899

Looking forward to the July 20 release of Camel - Snow Goose on SACD, UIGY-9504

9. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Wow thanks for the heads up on that!

10. TheRimeOfIcarus

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to getting the 2002 editions of Mirage and Snow Goose :righton:

11. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Paschal Byrne remasters in general are very good.

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Hm... I don't have the remasters but it seems that I should look for them, I always though that the original releases were fine.

A SACD of the Snowgoose? Wow! There is no info about it on Amazon, were can I get more details on that?

13. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

15. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

No problem at all. :)

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

anybody have the japan 1st pressings? those have same mastering than 1st UK deram? it seems that Live Record have unique master and is better, maybe other too have unique mastering, please owners more info!!! ;)

Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 11.18.14 PM.jpg

17. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I have the Japanese pressing of "A live Record" and it sounds definitely different to the remastered version by Paschal Byrne which contains bonus tracks. But I refer to the tracks both editions have in common. Especially the Snow Goose on disc 2 appears to be completely different mixwise.

18. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

The remastered A Live Record uses the original live drums from the Royal Albert Hall concert. The original vinyl release and the Japanese CD feature drum tracks that were done in a studio shortly after the show because of the problems encountered in recording the live drums.

uzn007, Front 242 Addict and hi_watt like this.
  19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh yes are different, becuase on is remaster and other dont, the question is by example for

1st japan 1991 japan, vs the germany 1993 deram
    http://www.discogs.com/Camel-A-Live-Record/release/3079551
    in the case of live record

and well the question is if deram 1st japan or deram uk are better than Paschal Byrne remasters

20. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

interesting! I dont know that,

I have the japan mini shm lps... I think are the same than remaster, I can confirm soon

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

22. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Indeed they are.

23. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thank you, so the questions are

1. 1st pressing or remasters...
    2. japan 1st press vs europe 1st press, the same or different?

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The Japan 1st presses of "A Live Record," "Raindances," "Breathless," and "I Can See Your House From Here" are all unique masterings.

25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

good to know and sounds good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.