Wayne Shorter - "The Soothsayer" RVG Edition- distortion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jose Jones, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member Thread Starter

I'm listening to this right now and I keep hearing a nasty metallic-sounding echo or artifact of sorts on the horns...it's especially noticeable on the tenor sax and trumpet on "Lost", "The Big Push", and "Lady Day" during their intro and solo sections. Almost like a sibilance on the top end.

This is the only version of this album I own---is this an RVG mastering defect or is it on the master tape and thus present on the vinyl and first Blue Note issue?

I am aware that this album was shelved until 1979, might this sound issue be a reason for that?

*Edit* "Lady Day" is really, really bad...almost unlistenable. I even hear the noise during the piano solo.

2. I vaguely remember there was one domestic (US) Shorter RVG that had some kind of distortion defect, which was corrected in a subsequent (but quietly issued) reissue. (Bobby Hutcherson's "Dialog" suffered from some similar problem, also similarly corrected).

I forget the title, but it sounds like it could very well be this one.

Again my memory is super vague, but I seem to remember something about an "RE-1" (or something like that) having been added to the subsequent (corrected) reissue - which was quietly done. (And I don't know if there's any way to tell the difference on sealed copies either.)

If nobody can come up with the details, somebody on the Organissimo forums will know, I can almost guarantee it.

3. Jose Jones

I just signed up over there but am unable to start a new thread so far. I did a search and couldn't find anything dealing with that issue specifically.

4. It was "Soothsayer", apparently.

Post #35 in this thread (an Organissimo thread about an entirely different topic).

Doesn't give the full details about the CD index number (or whatever that designator is called), but it's a start.

EDIT: Another mention of it here, with more details (in dribs and drabs) spread across multiple posts farther down in the thread. My memory of the "RE-1" being the corrected version appears to have been correct!! (much to my own amazement). Or at least someone there said "I think the "fixed" version has an 'RE-1' following the item number on the hub."

5. Also mentioned HERE in a SHB thread from the archive, that also mentions the "RE1".

And also HERE, another SHB thread.

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

wow...how'd you find that- I did a quick search when I saw the OP and didnt see anything! you're the king of the search button!:righton:

7. Jose Jones

Great work Rooster!

My copy does not have the 'RE-1' suffix. I bought this cd brand new less than a year ago, too....must have been old stock sitting around forever.

Do you think there is any chance still of exchanging this for a corrected copy?

8. Compile the multiple mentions of this from various thread, print them out, and ask for another new copy (and confirm the "RE1" on the new one before you accept it), or at the very least -- ask for a refund.

9. Jose Jones

Ask who? I have no idea where I even purchased this now.....I'm looking at Blue Note's website but there is no "Contact Us" tab, no "Help" #, no Customer Service department, nothing except this address on the cd-- 150 Fifth Avenue, NY, NY 10001...or at least that's where they were located in 2008.

10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Unless I am misreading the threads, the "RE1" was a replacement for a pre-RVG remaster. There is no RE1 for the RVG version, which came out in 2008.

Could be the current state of the disc reflects flaws in the master tape.

11. Jose Jones

I can't believe Blue Note would release this, as it is....it's AWFUL. :thumbsdn:

12. Oh, sorry, I thought you had just purchased it.

Probably no way to exchange it now. BN may have had an exchange process back when the corrected version came out, but I'm guessing that option may no longer be available.

13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I have the RVG, but not the original release. I do however have "The Blue Note Years - The Best of Wayne Shorter", from 1988, which has "Lost".

Just did a quick listen and I think the original does sound better. Don't know if that's the pre-RE1 or RE1 version though.

14. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I have the '90 RE1 and it does sound pretty good.

15. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

You are correct about the replacement being for the ORIGINAL reissue of this title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.