Quiex II Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stever, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

What do you folks think of the pressing and sound quality of these? I wouldn't mind owning some of these titles.

2. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I've had a few of these and didn't find them to have any better sound than the standard issues.:(

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The only one I have is George Harrison's Gone Troppo, and I would rate that one as excellent.

If I hold it up to a light I can see through it. Kinda like the old MFSL LP's.

4. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Collectable ones are:
    Dire Straits - Love Over Gold(must own)
    Dire Straits - Brother In Arm
    Joni Mitchell - Wild Thing Runs Fast

5. peter

peter Senior Member

I have all of these plus Dire Straits Alchemy--all are essential as they sound fantastic.

But, what about Petty's Southern Accents? Anyone have it?

6. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I had Southern Accents but I remember not liking the sound of it. It's not that there was anything wrong with Quiex vinyl pressing but rather its recording and mastering(I think it was digital, not sure)...it was a while back.

7. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

I've got Lennon Collection, Dire Straits "Love over Gold" and a Joni Mitchell on q2 ...

Me like :)

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Back in my vinyl days of the early 80s, I was obsessed with collecting promo pressings on Quiex II. Still have all the ones I found, I'd say at least 30. Mostly WB and related labels, a couple on MCA.

9. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Also Collectable-

Donald Fagen, The Nightfly

10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have the following, the RLJ is very good.

DIRE STRAITS LOVE OVER GOLD
    DIRE STRAITS ALCHEMY
    DIRE STRAITS BROTHERS IN ARMS
    GABRIEL, PETER SECURITY
    JONES, RICKIE LEE GIRL AT HER VOLCANO
    MITCHELL, JONI WILD THINGS RUN FAST
    YOUNG, NEIL EVERYBODY'S ROCKIN'
    YOUNG, NEIL TRANS
    LENNON, JOHN THE COLLECTION

11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Are some of these Quiex II LP's not labeled as such?

Is the only way of telling if they are is if they are see through when you put them up to the light?

If they are see through, does that for sure mean they are Quiex II, even if I can find no other notation of such on the jacket of the LP?

Could they be see through and not be Quiex II????

Is there a difference between Quiex and Quiex II?

Giorgio likes this.
  12. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Rudy, I have The Police's Synchronicity, A&M SP-3735. There's no 9 in the catalog number. I remember it as being very quiet.

The yellow circle sticker on the wrapper noted "This Record is Pressed With KC-600 Audiophile Vinyl".

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Mine still has the yellow sticker too. I think -=Rudy=- is talking about a totally different pressing. Audio Master Plus.

14. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I think a lot of the early 80's A&M promos at the time were on Quiex vinyl, with no Quiex sticker on the cover. I seem to remember having a promo copy of REM's Chronic Town (mini-LP) on translucent Quiex vinyl. The cover only had the gold promo stamp, no note about the vinyl like the later promos.

On a similar note, the promo copies of a lot of Columbia 45's at that time where pressed on a very, very dark red vinyl. Looks black until you hold it up to a light.

15. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I have a copy of Nightfly on Quiex II vinyl so I can assure you it does exist. :righton:

16. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I have a Paul Simon, "One Trick Pony" Quiex pressing. Excellent pressing and a very underrated Album, IMO.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Not underrated by me! Actually, this was a popular record for reviewing equipment in UK magazines for a little while after it came out. Fantastic sound.

18. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I just bought a promo pressing of Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" on Quiex II vinyl. Cost me a whopping $5.50. The is a black sticker on the cover that says "Quiex II Limited Edition Pressing". The vinyl is nice and quiet. The mastering sounds no different to me compared to the regular WB release.

Sean

19. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'm sure there wasn't any difference in the masterings, but given the choice of quieter vinyl, heck why not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.