Ironic images or songs preceding a passing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by doc021, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doc021

doc021 Forum Resident Thread Starter

How about a recent song or picture that preceded an untimely death? Keith Moon sitting on a chair that says "Not To Be Taken Away" on the cover of Who Are You, Lennon's "Just Like Starting Over" on Double Fantasy and Skynryd's "Street Survivors" LP cover come to mind.

2. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Kurt Cobain singing...And I don't have a gun... Or 'I Hate Myself...And I want To Die'.

Wouldn't the correct word in this context be, 'prophetic', not ironic?

3. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

The original Lynyrd Skynyrd "Street Survivor" album cover comes to mind. It had the band pictured in flames only weeks or months before the plane crash. :cry:

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Will MY GENERATION be ironic once Pete and Roger get around to dying? Or is it already, since they're old?

5. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

2Pac's Makaveli album, completed in the course of a week a month before his death (but released a month after), is full of this stuff. From the central Machiavellian theme of a dead man returning, to the darker-than-usual soundscapes that accompany almost all the tracks and increasingly-paranoid and death-focused lyrics, to the artwork containing the phrase "Exit 2Pac, Enter Makaveli," the whole album seems like one big creepy coincidence.

6. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Chicago putting out "Baby What A Big Surprise" (right before my very eyes) as a single around the time guitarist Terry Kath accidentally shot himself in the head in front of his wife comes to mind.

7. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Harry Chapin's February 1981 concert (released on the Bottom Line Encore Collection CD in 1998) marked his band's 2000th concert. During the final applause at the end of the show, he calls out to the audience, "How about 2000 more, huh?" He died five months later. Equally ironic, one of his last songs (inspired by the assassination attempt on President Reagan, so it must have been less than four months before he died) was called "Last Stand".

8. doc021

doc021 Forum Resident Thread Starter

wow. didnt think about that one. tragic.

9. proust78

proust78 Forum Resident

The one album that Jeff Buckley released during his lifetime, Grace, has a lot of sadly prophetic stuff on songs like "Last Goodbye" and "Eternal Life" ("Got my red glitter coffin, man, just need one last nail").

10. Jake!

Jake! Active Member

Yes

11. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Joy division's Closer LP has a funeral scene on the cover, decided on by the group before Ian Curtis died.

12. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Lennon signing that ******e's Double Fantasy cover hours before....

13. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

His wife wasn't there when it happened....he was at a party at a roadie's house, she was at home in Malibu.

NJB

14. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

Would Buddy Holly singing "that'll be the day that I die" be considered ironic, given that the day was presumably much, much further in the future than it turned out?

15. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Except that there was no fire involved as the plane had crashed due to its running out of fuel.

Still a bit spooky though.

16. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Jimmy McCulloch's last song was called Heartbreaker. Great song but this line makes it spooky.

Can't you see I'm dying
    I'm dying on my feet
    Every way I'm trying
    Your game has got me beat
    Way I play is easy
    Russian Roulette's so much fun
    Bullets made of silver
    and the odds are five to one

17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Death and the idea of death is in every songwriter's vocabulary. Some of these things only take on that macabre irony, once an artist or member of a band passes away.

So, it's always going to be uncomfortable listening to Lennon say "Shoot Me" on Come Together or Freddie Mercury singing "Build your muscles as your body decays" on Hammer to Fall or singing "Who wants to Live Forever?"(granted these are May songs, but perhaps Bohemian Rhapsody can be interpreted as a death sentence?).

I would think Post Toastee would fit for Tommy Bolin, telling of a foreboding of the Rock n roll excesses he was becoming victim to(I got that out of a magazine, I never use the phrase "rock n roll excess" :)).

But, literally, there are millions of them.

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Just about all my favorites are from Nick Drake, the most prophetic/ironic being Fruit Tree, My favorite couplets: Forgotten while you're here, remembered for a while—A much updated ruin from a much outdated style:

Fame is but a fruit tree
    So very unsound.
    It can never flourish
    Till its stalk is in the ground.
    So men of fame
    Can never find a way
    Till time has flown
    Far from their dying day.
    Forgotten while you're here
    Remembered for a while
    A much updated ruin
    From a much outdated style.

Life is but a memory
    Happened long ago.
    Theatre full of sadness
    For a long forgotten show.
    Seems so easy
    Just to let it go on by
    Till you stop and wonder
    Why you never wondered why.

Safe in the womb
    Of an everlasting night
    You find the darkness can
    Give the brightest light.
    Safe in your place deep in the earth
    That's when they'll know what you were really worth.
    Forgotten while you're here
    Remembered for a while
    A much updated ruin
    From a much outdated style.

Fame is but a fruit tree
    So very unsound.
    It can never flourish
    Till its stock is in the ground.
    So men of fame
    Can never find a way
    Till time has flown
    Far from their dying day.

Fruit tree, fruit tree
    No-one knows you but the rain and the air.
    Don't you worry
    They'll stand and stare when you're gone.

Fruit tree, fruit tree
    Open your eyes to another year.
    They'll all know
    That you were here when you're gone.

19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

"Leaving On A Jet Plane" - John Denver

Of course he died in an experimental plane many years after he wrote the song.

20. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

That rap album with the WTC being detonated...which came out before 911...

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Bobby Fuller's last single: "Never To Be Forgotten"

22. Buddy Blank

Buddy Blank Well-Known Member

The last song T.Rex released in Marc Bolan's lifetime, "Celebrate Summer", ends with a long fade out and Marc repeating the line "Summer is Heaven in '77". Of course he didn't mean it that way, but given the tragic accident that was waiting just a few months down the line, it's very ironic. Added to that, Marc's vocal here sounds as though it's been compressed or something, which makes it even worse. It's as though he were singing from beyond the grave. I've always loved this simple, perky little song but that ending always gives me chill.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I remember seeing that album cover in an article or something the day of, or the day after 9/11 and being really creeped out by it.

24. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

Terry Kath singing Little One on Chicago XI is ironic and sad.

Jim Croce's Time In A Bottle is another one.

25. Bob_Rush

Bob_Rush Forum Resident

Another album released on 9/11 is Dream Theaters Live Scenes From New York that had the NYC Skyline with the Twin Towers burning. It was pulled off the shelves within the week.

[​IMG]

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.