Talking Heads Fear of Music radio commercial

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bass, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bass

Bass Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am looking for a radio commercial for the Fear of Music album. In the spot they built a harmony of voices. Starting with one voice and then adding multiple. Can anyone point me to a wav or mp3 of this commercial?

2. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Sounds awesome. I'll add my voice to those interested!

3. Bass

I think they were simply saying.."The Talking Heads have a new album. It's called Fear of Music."

4. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

There was an ad just like that for Remain in Light that I've been looking for for 30 years ... David Byrne repeating the statement over a music bed, with manipulations added to the voice. [I didn't have the album when the ad was current; music might have been Seen and Not Seen; that's how I hear the ad in my memory.] I was hoping it would show up on the last expanded reissue. Sounds like there was another "original" ad for Fear of Music as well? I'd love to hear either/both.

Edit: ah, I see that posts #1 and #3 are both from Bass. So maybe there's just the one ad, for Remain in Light.

5. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

That's correct, over and over for 30 seconds with a phase-shifter changing their audio background on every take...

6. Bass

The only ad I have heard was definitely for Fear of Music. I would love to hear the Remain one too though.

7. mfp

mfp Senior Member

If you ever find it, please do post it here!
    I thought I'd heard it all by the Heads but I had never heard of this!

8. Bass

This thread is making me want to hear it again more. Yes it was a phase shifter thing. Very cool.

9. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

That's exactly the way I remember it too. I was disappointed that it wasn't included as an extra in the BRICK project. It had stuck with me all these years.

10. Bass

Yes for some reason it stuck with me too. Dang have to find it.

11. Bass

I think I remember that Gene Wilder play conga on Life During War Time too.

12. jmezcal

jmezcal New Member

The Talking Heads have a new album. It's called Fear of Music. . .

Yes, I too can not get this out of my head 30+ years later! I was sitting with some friends on our patio in my first year at San Diego State University. I was a huge Talking Heads fan, but back then, I don't think they were getting any airplay on San Diego radio (maybe "Psycho Killer", but I doubt it). This was before they had an "alternative" station, 91X in San Diego, and all they played was middle of the road crap!. I was from L.A. and they played them a bit on KROQ (probably Rodney on the ROQ). Anyway, there we were with the speakers cranked and pointed out the window so we could enjoy some music while we had a couple of beers and some lovely North County weed (which made it even more bizarre and surreal). All of the sudden I heard "The Talking Heads have a new album. It's called Fear of Music" booming through our courtyard. Then the voices just kept repeating and distorting. Even the two friends I was with who had never heard of the Talking Heads were like, "wooooooooo", what was that? Like the Talking Heads music itself, the radio spot was just so different from anything you might have heard on San Diego radio back then. I only heard it once, and have been looking for it ever since so I can play it over and over to get it out of my head!!! If anybody has a copy, let me know. I was looking for it online and came across this thread. . . T.H.anks!!!

P.S. I also got to see them on that tour when they played a small hall at SDSU. I have been to hundreds of live shows of various bands, but this was one of the most memorable. Not just for the music, but because, totally against the trend of flashy light shows and costumes of the time, they just came out under white lights and belted out their tunes, one after another - all great, whith an occasional trademarked, "Thank you very muuuuuuuuch!" from David Byrne. Good Times. . .

13. Bass

Man, this popped up and it is still killing me. We must find it!!!!
    The stereo mix on it was wild as well as the phase shifting. :righton:

14. Remain In Light

Remain In Light Forum Resident

Good people! Buy the new Chronology DVD! It is featured in the 1979 South Bank Show documentary. You will not be disappointed!

15. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I'm going to rip the sound from my copy, it'll be up tomorrow.

16. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i like how yr 1st post was about this topic and how it related to san diego

17. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Please keep us posted! Thanks! :)

18. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

This is exactly the sort of thing that used to appear on the WB two-LP promo releases (such as the Van Dyke Parks Datsun commercial). Too bad that practice never made it into the CD era, those were fun albums.

19. gmku

gmku Active Member

I missed this completely. Where was I?! Oh, yeah, not listening to commercial radio.

20. Bass

I wait anxiously.....Many remember few have heard in a while.

21. Bass

In Chicago when nearly every station went Disco my commercial radio listening went to zero. It has never recovered.

Those were painful years....PAINFUL. But it did help me to discover many new genre's of music.

22. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Here it is:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dp6r92j68cdeakt
    Sadly, it's not the entire piece. It's pretty cool, even if it doesn't have significant nostalgia or emotional impact to me like it does to some of you (probably because my mother was 8 years old when the spot aired).

23. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

That's a vocoder, popular effect at the time. Listening to it now though I can't think of a single moment on their actual music that uses one!

24. Bass

Thank you for the post. However, that is only a small out take of what probably became the commercial. The search goes on......

25. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Any luck with a complete version??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.