Were the Songs at Beatles Concerts Really Drowned Out by the Screaming Fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by houston, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houston

houston Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know they didn't play very many concerts, last was in 1966 at Candlestick? I know there was lots of screaming, but after, say, the Hamburg days, were ALL of the concerts screaming affairs, where the audience could not really hear the music? what about people near the stage? did a few of the shows have less screaming, so that the music was listenable? anectodally, I've read about people that attended a Beatles concert, and each person says "I couldn't hear anything but screaming, but it didn't matter, the event was overwhelming"...or words to that effect....is that a general concensus among fans who have attended a Beatles concert...and finally, has any other musical act had anything close to the amount of screaming at shows, as the Beatles enjoyed (?)

2. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

There's some footage of the Beatles playing in Italy in '65 (I think) in Genova and the audience is not screaming like we're used to think. It wasn't even sold out.
    The images where taken by Peppino Di Capri italian sensation (...) who was one of the opening acts.

3. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Depended on the PA's used, which were not uniform. I saw the B's at the Hollywood Bowl and you could hear em just fine - and the screaming was thunderous.

edit: And yeah, they screamed for Elvis too.

4. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Heck, I was at a Journey concert at the L.A. Forum in 1981 and I could barely hear a single note because the screaming girls that NEVER let up. It was how I imagined a David Cassidy concert. Can hardly imagine Elvis or the Beatles with those maniac fans and sub-par PA systems.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's probable. I don't know how lout the amplification was, but it probably couldn't be anywhere near what you could get just a few years later. I've never been in a concert full of thousands of screaming girls, either. I imagine it could get as loud as a jet engine.

6. lennon_08518

lennon_08518 Forum Resident

I saw the Beatles in Atlantic City, NJ at the end of August, 1964. I could NOT hear any of it. Many years later I met Paul. I wanted him to sign my ticket from the show. I show Paul the ticket and he said to me. "were you at this?". I said Yes. He said to me "How did we sound?". I said " I have no idea. Nobody heard you." He smiled and called for Heather. He pointed to the price on the ticket. He looked at Heather and said, "It's a wonder we ever got rich." Then he laughed. The price on the ticket is $3.90.

Yes, he did sign my ticket!! Oh, to answer your question: I have a dvd of their Tokyo shows and you could hear them.

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's an October 24, 1963 concert in Sweden, excerpts are on the Anthology, V. 1. The audience seems to be actually listening. They are rewarded by Ringo's best early example of drum-kit skills on "Roll Over Beethoven." George starts tentatively, but Ringo is driving the rest of the group in this one and by the end there's no question of who's in charge.

In recordings from Japan, there are periods of relative silence from the audience.

8. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I saw Boston in 1986 and it was impossible to hear some of the quieter passages because of the constant screaming.

9. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

The crowd was fairly subdued at the "rattle your jewelry" concert for the queen wasn't it ? LOL

I'd always heard that the concert in Munich in '66 was very listenable from the audience 'viewpoint'. I'd never googled the show but here's a link to some snippets by way of video/audio that captures the concert. Sure there's some screaming but during parts of songs it's quite quiet, especially about 1:58 into the clip during Yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6euu_6LwK58

And check this, their '66 Japan show...go to about :49 in the clip and look at the 'deader than 4 o'clock' crowd !! hahahaha....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KnsH1VuxK8&feature=related

10. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Who in heck were they screaming for?
    Delp?

11. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Beatles

Wow! That's a great story. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Scott

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

My friends older sisters both went to see the B's at Olympia Stadium in Detroit. The Olympia was an huge barn and an accoustic nightmare, and the reports were fugettabouddit. They said you could barely hear the opening acts, let alone the Beats.

13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

You are pointing out a cultural difference. The Japanese would consider the usual Mania behavior rude and unacceptable. Thats why the Japan shows are neat to listen to.

14. OnTheRoad

Yea, I realize this but still....

When they start Nowhere Man...you can hear some scandalous screams though ! :laugh:

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Probably American service brats.:D

16. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I never got to see the Fabs live, but a friend of mine who did (in '66?) in Seattle said that if you sat close enough to the stage (as he did) you could hear them alright. He was off to the side of "stage right", and said they had some sort of arrangement with a Vox 4x12 cab on each side of the stage, firing across with vocals. He said they sounded just fine!

17. OnTheRoad

Being one, I know !! :righton:

18. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

A friend's older sister attended the Indianapolis '64 show. Two or three years ago I took delight in giving her a copy of the soundboard recording. Her response, "I finally heard the concert."

19. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Saw them at Gloucester Odeon in 64, couldn't hear much, VOX column speakers for PA.
    Screaming girls a toe curling sound that pierces the total firmament..
    However recorded a David Cassidy show in 72 at the Finnesbury Park Odeon which was even worse for screamers and wet seats..
    Unbearable.
    Did a Bay City Rollers Odeon gig also, nearly tipped me over into temporary insanity.
    Roger
    Loudest band I recorded live, 'Misty in Roots' at a Reggae Festival at Windsor, all home made Sound System kit, loads of stoned Rastas on stage with a dodgy PA and crimminal distortion.
    I needed a 50 Watt Quad amp for my Koss Pro 4aa's and mixed it all on the meters only..

20. I saw The Beatles at Comisky Park in Chicago.

The stage was placed at the pitcher's mound. The speakers for the PA system were VOX towers located about 20 feet apart. They were placed along the base paths extending to the outfield.

The girls started screaming as soon as The Beatles came out of the left field dougout. They stopped screaming between songs. As soon as a new song started, the screaming started. I sat in a box seat but I couldn't hear a single note played. The girl sitting in front of me rested her head on her mother's shoulder and cried out loud for the entire performance. The girl in back of me passed out and had to be removed by the ushers. The entire ball park was wild. Without a doubt, it was the most amazing rock and roll show I ever saw.

By the way, my box seat tickets cost $5.50.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  21. I saw them at Shea Stadium in August '65 & we had good seats, a lot of luck those good seats gave us , we still couldn't hear a thing, but the level of excitment was unreal.:cool:

22. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

Screams of pain?

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I had a girlfriend who saw the Beatles in 64 & 65 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. She said you could hear fine at the 64 show with moderate screaming. The 65 show was insane and nothing could be heard.

24. Gloi

Gloi Forum Resident

My brother in law saw them in Blackburn on the 63 tour with Roy Orbison. He said you could hear them but as a Roy Orbison fan he wasn't impressed. He likes to taunt me with this information.

25. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

A friend of mine saw them at the Chicago International Amphitheater in 1964; she said that all anyone could hear was Ringo's cymbals and the between-song banter (because there was slightly less screaming between songs).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.