Nirvana on new German vinyl - modern anomolies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JWB, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWB

JWB New Member Thread Starter

It has just been discovered that the new German Universal pressing of Nirvana's "In Utero" is made from the original, unreleased Steve Albini master tape.

The original releases have two remixed tracks and the MFSL comes from a similar, tweaked master.

Rumour has it that the "Nevermind" vinyl is also made from similar raw, untreated master tapes.

2. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Re: Nirvana on Simply Vinyl - modern anomolies

So would those be better than the standard mix, or just different?

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Re: Re: Nirvana on Simply Vinyl - modern anomolies

It depends who you talk to... if you asked Steve Albini, he'd say his were better. ;)

I'm pretty excited to hear those mixes. At the time, I really liked the remixes (done by REM's producer, Scott Litt). However, I can tell that Litt used more outboard gear than Albini, who usually tracks with the room in mind, rather than using a delay/verb unit.

I really like Albini's production, even though his early 90s stuff all sounded similar. He's grown a lot lately, and some recent recordings I've heard sound awesome. Check out Songs:Ohia's latest, "Magnolia Electric Co." It sounds more like Crazy Horse circa 1975 than the typical Albini production.

4. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

where did you hear this? I'd like to find some information on this. I'd definitely pick it up if this were true.

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The only songs that have different mixes on the Simply Vinyl LP are All Apologies and Heart Shaped Box. The Simply Vinyl LP has the original Albini mixes and the regular CD has Scott Litt remixes of those 2 tracks. The rest of the album uses the same mixes as the regular CD.

Also, the Wal Mart In Utero CD with the censored cover has a Scott Litt remix of Pennyroyal Tea. The regular CD has the Albini mix.

Chris

6. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

Re: Re: Nirvana on Simply Vinyl - modern anomolies

Well, here's a relevent quote.

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Sounds like Geffen needs to release a special edition version of In Utero with all the mixes, demos, alternate takes (if any), and alternate artwork. ;) I'd buy that! :)

8. JWB

I read about it in the forums at LiveNirvana.com...a Nirvana collector and audiophile website.

They are calling it "the All-Albini LP".

9. JWB

Not just the two remixed songs...the entire album is said to sound rich and warm...free of the heavy-handed mastering on the regular CD (and even MFSL).

People are busy making needle-drops as we speak. :D

10. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I am not usually a big fan of Simply Vinyl, but their Nevermind, as compared to the cd, is absolutely amazing. Now I think I know why. Jeff

11. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Anybody have a good source for this LP? Buying direct from Simply Vinyl's website will cost me $30.00.... hoping there's a cheaper option.

12. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

Originally posted by Cafe Jeff

Just my opinion, but I found the SV Nevermind waayy too bright. Following Tom Port's advice on the betterrecords website, I purchased an import pressing with fantastic sound. Nice low end and midrange - perfect for this record.

Looks like I'm gonna have to invest in the Simply Vinyl In Utero, though. Gotta hear those original Albini mixes.

13. JWB

People are now saying that it is NOT the Simply Vinyl issue...but a new German pressing on Universal, from the "Universal Vinyl Series".

I'm in the process of obtaining a needle drop if anyone is interested.

14. John

John Senior Member

Im with Jeff here, my SV Nevermind was too bright as well. I 2nd that the Tom Port version, it IS amazing. Cant imagine anyone doing a better job IMO. I have the MFSL In Utero CD which is good, but the curiosity is killing me on the SV In Utero vinyl, might have to pony up!

15. John

John Senior Member

Er, Im with Roscoe I mean sorry about that!

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

17. JWB

Beware -

It's NOT the Simply Vinyl pressing - I was wrong - it's the German "Universal Vinyl Seires" pressing!

Here's the info:

The catalog number is 424 536-1
    (Matrix on vinyl Side A: A33 9124 536 S1 320 Side B: A33 9124 536 S2 320). The barcode number is 0 720642 453612, and it mentions Universal Music (UK) in the bottom right of back side.

Gavinyl likes this.
  18. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Just found a guy selling this on eBay and he confirmed the Catalog number. With shipping and insurance, it came to $27.00. Not bad!

Red Trumpet is out of stock right now...

19. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I just heard from Don at Acoustic Sounds. Although he couldn't open up a copy to check the matrix number, it sounds like they have the All-Albini version of this album. Not only is the catalog number the one we want, but Don had this to say:

Sounds like the one....

20. cvila

cvila Senior Member

Has anybody been able to post on the liveNirvana site. I joined and have a question about a test pressing of In Utero I have.
    Thanks
    Chris

21. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I think they review every application before granting member status. I joined yesterday but haven't gotten a final confirmation yet.

Keith

22. John

John Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification JWB!!! I feel much better knowing that it is from Universal. I have some of there other recent releases and they are great! The Police Synchronicity for one, I am assuming this is frim the same 180g series. I am gonna have to call Acoustic Sounds!!

23. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Anybody heard Universal's new vinyl edition of "To Bring You My Love" by PJ Harvey?

24. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Not yet, but based on the Nirvana vinyl which I got yesterday I might spring for the PJ Harvey. One thing though, does anyone know if the Nirvana and the others in the series were cut by the same place ?

Also the PJ Harvey has a front sticker hyping the Universal Vinyl series, but the Nirvana had none, so are they actually from the same series ?

25. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

The Nevermind I bought recently had a catalog insert. It showed PJ's stuff, Syncronicity and five Nirvana vinyls. I would guess it's all the same series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.