Slayer's Tom Araya has neck surgery, no more headbanging

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Plainview, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man Thread Starter

http://94wysp.radio.com/2010/04/08/slayers-tom-araya-can-no-longer-headbang-hell-begins-freezing/

I’m not surprised that years of headbanging has taken its toll. As these guys get older, the physical damage they’ve done to themselves for the past 25+ years is going to start to catch up, and it will be sad when it does, because this music requires so much from the artist physically, and at some point they probably simply won’t be able to play their material anymore. Grace Slick won’t have to worry about them touring at 60, they’ll never make it!

When I was in high school and had a metal band, a 45 minute set meant a weeks worth of pain and inability to turn my head to the side. My neck has never been that great anyway. If I look up for too long, like I’m painting the ceiling or something, I’ll be in bad pain the next day. Why, just last month I was playing Metallica’s “Dyer’s Eve” and rocking out and just that little bit of movement left me with some discomfort the next day.

It’s the end of an era. I remember seeing Slayer in Troy, NY in February of 1992 when I was 15. It was a terrific show, the good old days for me, and Araya was front and center with his trademark side-to-side headbanging style. I’m sure it will be difficult to make the adjustment. The music is such a force of nature it’s hard to keep still. I wish Tom all the best and look forward to seeing Slayer on Jimmy Kimmel again.

2. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

3. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

I also abused my neck somewhat during HS/College; it really stood no chance with the likes of Pantera, Testament, and Slayer!:D

Fortunately no lasting damage or problems, but man, I sure did myself no favors! Used to ache for a week following a Fri/Sat night gig.

(Slightly) less risk of harming oneself with moshing and stage diving (assuming you get caught!), but I did lose a nice watch once in the pit (no one stole it from me, just got "Caught in a Mosh" :D)
    \m/ \m/

4. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Hang in there Tom!

5. Max F

Max F Member

How can you not headbang!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.