Glen Campbell's Farewell Album "Ghost On The Canvas" With Special Guests!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heatherly, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Sounds interesting, I wonder why Glen is not recording after this.

3. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'll Look forward to this, loved "Meet Glen Campbell".

4. 905

905 Senior Member

I am a big fan, and I saw Glen in 2000 and 2003. It's hard to believe that Glen is almost 74... I hope he enjoys his retirement.

5. I saw Glen at Andy William's Branson theater in 2001. I am not surprised he plans to retire after this album and final concert tour and in fact, surprised he is making such a serious effort to support his final album. I do expect it to be pretty good and not sell enough to justify the effort but I am hope I am wrong, at least about the sales part of my prediction. It is even a certainty he will get a music company to release it on CD?

Chris

6. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

His website says he's playing in Los Angeles in August but it's sold out. :-(

Tickets still available somewhere? I would like to see him before he retires.

7. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

I'm looking forward to this. I loved Meet Glen Campbell.

8. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Thanks for sharing. "Ghost On The Canvas" was the lead track on Westerberg's 2009 EP, and sounds like a natural fit for the Meet Glen Campbell style.

9. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Possibly because he's 74? Maybe he's tired of the rigors of playing live and the road in general. The money is nice, but he probably wants to enjoy life before he can't anymore......

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

He should take a certain song, get Brian Wilson to produce, rewrite more appropriate lyrics and retitle it: "Guess I'm Done." :righton:

11. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Dewey Cox came back. Glen will too.

12. rat1073

rat1073 Active Member

"Meet" was one my most-played albums of that year, and this sounds amazing; Robert Pollard!!!???

13. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Loved Meet Glen Campbell too. I can't wait...I hope Capitol steps up and signs him.

14. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Yeah, I figured this new one would be on Capitol, same as the last album. I guess they just had a one album deal? Whatever label it ends up coming out on, I'm looking forward to hearing this last album by Glen.

15. burnthatcandle

burnthatcandle Forum Resident

Is Capitol in the position to sign anybody considering their financial predicament? What label this eagerly awaited album comes out on doesn't matter as much as, say, brickwalled compression.

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I agree on both counts Alan. I had never bought a Glen Campbell album before, but I loved Meet Glen Campbell. I had put aside my personal distaste for Walmart and got the CD there because of the half a dozen or so bonus greatest hits on the version they offered.

Whether Glen is retiring in general, or just retiring from recording, I find it admirable. There's something to be said for stepping out of the limelight and enjoying some time with your family and friends, without needing to keep working, if it's only for the constant reassurance that you are loved by the public. Of course, if someone wants to keep working because they just love what they do, more power to them.

17. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Oh good. The album isn't even finished being recorded yet, it doesn't have a label, and already we are concerned about brickwalling.

You forgot to mention your concern over when it will ship and who will deliver it (USPS, UPS, or FedEx). Brickwalling concerns usually come after shipping, but before posting waveforms.

I hope musically it turns out as well as the last album.

18. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Me, too. Looks like a great project.

19. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Today was the first time that I heard anything from Meet Glen Campbell. After seeing this thread I decided to look for songs & samples online. I found Glen's website for the album & absolutely loved the 3 songs there. Plus, I thought they sounded very nice.

Then I went to Amazon. There were lots of positive reviews...but I always try to take a look at the negative ones when I'm considering a puchase - because that's where you will usually find comments about the mastering if there are any. There were several that positively blasted the sound on this CD! I listened to the samples on Amazon (not that you can always trust those) & they didn't anywhere near as nice as what I heard on Glen's site!

So what gives - just how does this album sound?

Dexter

20. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

I have a friend at Capitol and he told me that the sessions that produced Meet Glen Campbell had enough material for a second volume, it has been mixed and was already to go! Meet Glen Campbell may not have sold what they thought it would. Shame, too. It's the best thing Glen has done in 35 years. I'd go as far as stating it's the best thing from any artist in recent years.

If this new one is even half as good as Meet Glen Campbell, it will be fantastic.

Also, if you have a chance to see Glen perform live... SEE HIM!! Even though the blue-hairs are 98% of the audience, he still puts on an amazing show!! He can still play circles around any guitar player.

21. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Honestly, the CD is VERY loud. Musically, I love the album but it's mastered much louder than it needs to be, unfortunately. I put Glen's version of These Days on a various artists comp last year and it was pretty much the loudest song on there.....and it's basically just an acoustic version.

22. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

That makes sense.

23. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

That's a shame. :shake: An album like this doesn't need to be mastered that way. (Actually, no album needs to be mastered that way!)

BTW - I really like his performance of "These Days". The song has always been a favorite of mine. I heard it first on a 45 by Ian Matthews - even before I heard it by Jackson Browne. Based on the troubles Glen's had over the years, when he sings it, you'd think the song was written for him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJEHeUqCEE&feature=related

Dexter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.