Mbps display on OPPO BP83SE--the higher the better?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thebeatles67, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Good afternoon all,

Just a quick question --when I use the display button on my OPPO-BD83SE I get a constant readout on the disc thats playing showing the MBPS (megabits per second) I assume that a higher/faster rate is always a good thing--correct? I am currently watching The Police Blu Ray-Certifiable in Dolby 2.0 True HD and it sounds great. The MBPS is constantly changed as you know but I ve watched several discs over last few days and the blu rays seem to always read at a higher rate as compared to DVDAs, etc. Anyone that give me explanation on this area of audio palyback please chime in. Thanks.

Mike

2. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

It is just bitrate, it can be an indicator that a stream is of a particular specification but beyond that it does not tell you how it sounds.

Bitrates, when using lossless compression, are variable. If you have flac files from CDs and you examine their bitrates they can range from the few hundreds of kbps to the maximum of 1411kbps.

Maximums:
    16bit 44.1khz stereo, CD music, is 1411 kbps or 1.37Mbps
    24bit 48khz stereo, some DVD soundtracks, is 2304kbps or 2.25Mbps
    etc...

bit depth x sample rate x channels = bit rate

so:
    stereo 24/96 is 4.39 Mbps
    stereo 24/192 is 8.79Mbps
    5.1 24/44.1 is 6.06 Mbps
    5.1 24/48 is 6.59 Mbps
    5.1 24/96 is 13.18 Mbps
    5.1 24/192 is 26.37 Mbps

Now that bitrate might be the actual maximum output rate like above, or it could be the "whats necessary" losslessly compressed number, or it could be the bitrate of the lossy compression data like old dolby or dts.

3. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Thanks Lolrus for the response. Listening to the 24/192 of Eagles-Hotel Calif at the moment and the bit rate is avg aro 7.0mbps. Thanks again.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.